Why do I need to show a boarding pass when buying a magazine at the airport?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 423 total)

• FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Martyn

If you wish to decode a barcode, you can use this site…

http://online-barcode-reader.inliteresearch.com/

You may be able to interpret the strings I cannot.

The fact that it is so easy to do this is interesting, isn’t it?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I have no issue with any company having access to my personal information they need at any particular point.

What this thread has highlighted, is the amount of coded (even by a bar code) information they dont need, that an organization could have access to – and what they do with it….

I am happy to assist W H S and any other retailer about my destination, but it will always be a polite “I would prefer not to” if asked to produce my boarding card.

Papillion53
    Participant

FDoS – thank you for acting upon my suggestion and reporting back to us :-).

I wonder if anyone can answer this further question.

Would it be possible that the scanner that WH Smith or any other airport retailer use, be programmed just to read the barcode for the information they need? i.e. Flight number? I don’t know how these things work but would it be possible?

And one ? for Victoria. If a passenger quotes you his/her flight number as opposed to you scanning the BP, does it then show up any differently on the target stats you mentioned? Or is it all lumped into one figure, thereby making no sense whatsoever in showing the BP, because let’s face it, I could give you an incorrect flight number, domestic as opposed to international, so that would muck up their stats somewhat! In fact I seem to remember that didn’t we used to be asked for our flight number and just have to show our boarding passes in the days before scanners?

So this collection of market research data is not a new thing by any means!

DontTurnRight
    Participant

VK – 9 pages is a lot, but will be worth it, if we can get something changed or better comms around this process.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“9 pages of posts.

All about the purchase of some Werther’s Originals.

Gosh.”

“Sometimes it’s better to remain silent and thought a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt” (Abe Lincoln)”

Papillion53
    Participant

Well VK I did suggest someone contact WH Smith twice, the first was ignored but thankfully FDoS and Esselle are on the case now.

VK – what part exactly were you transcended into in the bodice-ripping, tight trousers, heart thumping, gut wrenching, long lost love novel???? Mind you there’s always a field of sheep and a village idiot ….. ONLY kidding!! LOL!!

Be_Nice
    Participant

Oh DoS what a post and quote.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

VK – just as a side issue, how was your annual January holiday this year? Hope it was relaxing and perhaps we will see a trip report sometime.

Papillion53
    Participant

VK – It must have been a Thriller I’m sure it wasn’t Bad , so Give into me, Man in the mirror, give me Butterflies, Will you be there or Are you a stranger in Moscow? Just remember You are not alone Rockin’ Robin!

Did you have a balcony?

On the subject of balconies: last year I found a hammock on my balcony in Brazil, but I am a bit ‘torpe’ with things like that. Anyhow, I had the same afternoon stubbed a toe on a boulder on the beach and it immediately turned purple (not under the influence I must add). As a result, I could hardly move and lay on the sofa watching Brazilian telenovelas.

Hammocks look so inviting for a siesta. Any experiences anyone?

Papillion53
    Participant

Alexpo1 – well in our house, the cats have a wonderful faux sheepskin hammock hooked over the radiator – hmmm many an afternoon I wish I was a feline! 😉 🙂

BeckyBoop
    Participant

VK I hope you asked for another room don’t think I would want to sleep in a room which housed a weirdo.

I am a little concerned now for Victoria, if the CEO of WHS has been informed of this thread.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“VK I hope you asked for another room don’t think I would want to sleep in a room which housed a weirdo.”

Don’t stress Becky, Mikey won’t be going back, so no need to worry on his account 😉

canucklad
    Participant

Becky……you’re concern is merited, because she did say inform us of their internal disciplinary procedures for not hitting a 90% collection rate!

In their answer to Fdos they have almost admitted to illegally collecting information….thanks to Fdos for using iniative and also for the transperancy explanation.

In my company if a one of my colleagues whose job it is to attract new customers ,and thus create a record of contact, does NOT explicity state what the information gathered is going to be used for, and more importantly allow the customer the choice of 3 options

1) No records to be kept
    2) Keep my details for your companys use only(future targeted marketing)
    3) 3rd party sharing ( selling on your data)

Then they are subject to disciplinary action by their manager for breaching IOC rules!

In light of what Victoria said, and the actual practice this encourages, I would suggest that WH Smiths response to Fdos e-mail is all rather lame!

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 423 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls