Which Cathay lounge at HK?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)

• NTarrant
    Participant

I too would agree with Scott, it does really depend on where your onward flight is departing from. In December I used the Wing outward as my flight to MNL was from gate 2 but on return I used the Pier as my flight to RUH was from gate 61.

The Pier is better now it has been refurbished. I can’t say I can get excited about the Wing, it just doesn’t wow me

ScottWilson
    Participant

The Bridge DOES have showers, but the Cabin does not (the Cabin has a salad bar and a juice bar and in the afternoons can get quite hot due to the prevailing sunlight- it was stifling when I was there in November), both are Business Class lounges. However, the main point is that you ARE spoilt for choice. The Wing lounges and the QF lounge are immediately after security, the Cabin is halfway up the spine, the Bridge at the neck (where the piers break out) and the Pier on one of the piers. If your flight leaves beyond Gate 63 you could theoretically go to six perfectly reasonable lounges (there is the Dragonair G16 lounge near the QF one, but that isn’t worth diverting to see).

CXDiamond
    Participant

I have a personal preference for the Wing but why not get there a little early, give them all a try and write a review?

GoonerLondon
    Participant

I quite like the food in The Cabin lounge – lots of healthy choices, and the juice bar is nice. Does get busy though.

As far as FC lounges go, Ive never got excited about the Wing (although it is better now they have improved that ‘dead area’ behind the bar), but the Pier is setting the standard: the shower and snooze zones are like a high end spa. However, I wish they’d upgrade the wine and champagne choices.

AleRomUY
    Participant

Thank you guys for your advice. I guess I should do what CXDiamond recommends and do visit at least 3 of them to compare.
    I will have time to do so since my departure to JKT is around 7pm; and considering I will be having first a nice lunch in the city on my birthday that day and then should be checking out from hotel, it would also be good to have a shower and relax at some of the lounges with the best champagne I can get that day, for my birthday as I said.
    Then I will be happy to make a report for you guys. Cheers!

Harbord1
    Participant

I am frequent user of The Wing business class and unlike most people here I an distinctly underwhelmed with it. Tables often remain uncleared, staff disinterested, normally very crowded, no charm and food options uninspiring. I would try almost any other lounge before this one.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I am being spoilt this week, with visits to both the new CX lounges in BKK and HKG on my way home.

I will eat / drink in all, as the likelihood of the food being as tasty on the BA flight home is slim to zero….

PerthWA
    Participant

As a monthly user of CX HKG Emerald / First lounges all I can say is use which ever is closest to your gate! That is a silly big airport but thankfully not as whacky as Dubai!

JohnHarper
    Participant

Martyn, if you have a moment please report back on the CX lounge at BKK, I haven’t been in since the refurb but will be in about six weeks.

Thanks.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@JohnHarper

With pleasure – but probably tomorrow now as I have just entered the Pier in HKG and propping up the bar.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@JohnHarper

My flight from BKK arrived very close to the Pier so I decided to head there first of all. Went through the the transit security and even with a load of people Q Jumping to reach a departure gate in time, I was still sat at the bar in the Pier within 10 minutes of disembarking..

The Pier is newly refurbished and has a wonderful smell of leather and wood and gives the impression (to me) of a very exclusive club. There are a few different areas and a magnitude of staff (as you would expect). There is a full service bar that would not go amiss in any top class restaurant around the world. Seating areas with drinks and snacks never too far away.

One comment about the cocktails, it can be hit and miss with the mixing of drinks. In BKK earlier in the day, the barman made a wonderful Bloody Mary, but the barman in HKG needed 3 attempts.. not the end of the world, but it was fun tasting then all.

Time was moving on and as I had not eaten in the Pier before, decided to stay put and try it out. The menu was very extensive. I had the Seared Tuna and then some Salmon. Fabulous and meant I did not need to eat on the flight home. I did get the impression though that the chef’s would create personalised dishes, but quite frankly, the menu was so extensive, that most people should find something to suit their taste..A tip about the wine… get talking to the Chief and they may just bring out some bottles kept out of sight.

By this time, I was feeling, well quite satisfied and had my flight been cancelled, I don’t think I would have complained.

Posters have tried to differentiate between the Wing and Pier and quite frankly there is very little to it. The bar in the Pier I think is far nicer, the furnishing are far fresher, but would I choose one from the other…. well, there is one difference that nobody has yet mentioned.

The restaurant in the Wing does have (or did when I was last there in December) a self service food counter which is very extensive and delicious if you feel like a mini carvery type offering. Usually meats, sushi, occasionally a whole salmon (some times en croute), cheeses and deserts. The self service offering in the Pier is not that extensive.

I presume (but am not certain) that the menus are the same in both the Pier and Wing. Being super critical, the design of the Pier dining area did look a little boxy. I decided to eat at the …. bar!!

Distance – a lot has been said about the distances between the Pier and some boarding gates. My arrival gate was next to the Pier and my departure gate was 17. It was a fair distance and the lounge staff did suggest 20 minutes. I enjoy walking, especially after a few drinks and I managed the distance in 12 minutes, without using the moving people movers.

One additional comment from the Chief on the way out.. there is apparently a new management company/caterer starting in April / May and he mentioned there will be some changes. This will be a wait and see…

IN SUMMARY – my all time favourite lounge has to be the LH lounge in the F terminal at Frankfurt which I have only been able to use twice and that was many years ago. The Pier for me, comes second. Admittedly, I haven’t used the QF F lounge in Sydney which everyone raves about..

Abidjan
    Participant

Really can’t go wrong with any of the lounges on offer. For me, I prefer the Bridge.

JohnHarper
    Participant

Martyn, thank you for the excellent report on the lounge, I did though mean the lounge in BKK.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hi John, clearly the result of the long flight(s) and sitting at the bar for such a long time.

PART 2 – the BKK CX lounge.

This lounge is the combination of the old BA F lounge and the CX, knocked through, creating a much larger area. The finishing’s are of the same high standards of the Pier, rich leather and very much a club atmosphere.

Food offerings, whilst not as extensive as the HKG lounges are served from the noodle bar and cooked to order. I had a most delicious Pad Thai, which is offered in a multitude of ways, (i.e. veggie, prawn, meat).

There is a self service area, offering quick snacks and salads.

Sadly there was a fabulous service bar – and the barman creates a multitude of cocktails – no complaints in this department.

Again, CX has created sections within this wonderful space, allowing passenger to relax on recliners, or sit in lounge style chairs. A business centre at the far end with sufficient apple computers and printers.

In summary, this CX lounge is designed in a very similar fashion to the Pier – but it is a business (not F) lounge, but apart from the food on offer, couldn’t really see the differences.

Well worth flying out of BKK on oneworld to access this lounge.

JohnHarper
    Participant

Thanks Martyn, most helpful as ever.

I haven’t flown out of BKK with OW for quite some time, more usually on *A and when I am on OW it tends to be QR and they point you to the TG lounges. I’m on QR in about two weeks so will make the effort to visit the CX lounge on the basis of your recommendation.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls