Which Cathay lounge at HK?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

A very spiritual alternative and Tung Chung is right next to the airport.
    And the Buddha is on Lantau, the same island as the airport so time won’t/ shouldn’t be an issue.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

From an old HK-based friend of mine – and depending upon how long one has and when one is in Hong Kong:

Sights/Eating and drinking:

– The Peak Lookout (NOT the Peak Cafe) is an old colonial building with outside space. It is great at night – get a table outdoors. Can be combined with the Peak Tramway.

– Man Wah at Mandarin Hotel (Central) is very refined and – but with rather expensive Chinese food.

– Upper House (Admiralty) has a top story bar with great views.

– On the Kowloon side, the Peninsular (Felix) has great harbour views across to Central – go to the bar, the restaurant is a bit pretentious; or Aqua (bar) also on Kowloon side.

– Afternoon tea at the Peninsular is still an institution … and has big queues.

– Cross the harbour by the Star Ferry. For great views of Central, especially at night, it’s best to start at Tsim Sha Tsui (Kowloon) side and sit at the front of ferry on the top deck.

– Take a tram from Central to Causeway Bay – sit on top of tram, preferably at front and soak in the sights, sounds and colours of Hong Kong island.

Best to buy some sort of Tourist Travel card to take all transport around Hong Kong for 3 days – integrated system (Octopus) like Oyster.

For shopping:

– Night market at Temple Street in Kowloon (busy and interesting around 8/9pm)

– Stanley Market – best to go mid afternoon and then enjoy a drink/wine at one of bars on Stanley Main Street and watch sunset over the board-walk

– The Lanes in Central – just close to Central Station – crossing between Queen’s Road and Des Voeux Road. Open during the day.

For those who are not transiting but are there for a longer stay, a trip out to the islands in the Pearl River estuary. A different perspective but will take up a good half day. Best to catch a ferry around 10am and go for lunch:

– Lantau – take ferry to Mui Wo and then bus to Po Lin Monastery – Big Buddha statue on mountain peak next to monastery. Can alternatively get there by taking MTR to Tung Chung and then the cable car – Crystal something or other (but hordes of Chinese tourists. Peak Tram will also have ‘the hordes’). Cheap vegetarian restaurant at the monastery.

– Lamma – ferry to one side of island walk to other and catch ferry (walk is about an hour or so). One side of the island has seafood restaurants, the other (next to the power station) is bohemian and where some expats live, cafes, interesting shops

– Cheung Chau – picturesque fishing village with lots of good seafood restaurants. Can walk main street to get ‘colour’

BigDog.
    Participant

As an aside, great news for those living north of Birmingham as CX is scheduled to operate 4 (Mon, Tues, Thurs, Sat) x weekly flights from Manchester arriving Hong Kong at 7:55am, starting December this year.

This will complement the current 5 flights a week from capacity constrained LHR to Hong Kong. With its superb customer service and connections into China, CX is clearly not going to be bound by the limitations of LHR to build UK business.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Enjoying the Wing (F) by gate 4 and thinking what a wonderful airport HKG is.

3rd time here in 4 months and each time I transit from BKK, makes we want to send HAL or whoever is in charge of the security goons in T5, to see how it should be done.

Never has it taken more than a few minutes through transit security and the team are not only professional, quick and polite, but are genuinely welcoming and seem to want passengers to come through the airport.

Such a contrast to the rude, arrogant and power hungry goons that strut around T5, trying to inconvenience the passenger as much as possible.

I also like the common sense attitude at HKG airport. Lap Tops may still need to come out, but liquids remain in the bag and shoes and belts stay on.

And I have also never been “assaulted” with a crotch feel by any staff…

Well done HKG, a pleasure to be here …. back to the cocktails and whisky….

dodger10
    Participant

I personally enjoy the Bridge. But really depends on where your gate is.
    If its gates 1-4 it must be the Wing. Very convenient. The wing and Cabin have the nice bar area to browse out on to the tarmac.

Kaitai838
    Participant

Have just spent 6 hrs in HK and can highly recomend the Bridge which is around gates 60, if you are arriving or departing near these gates there is no question its the best one to try, evenings are great sitting at the Long Bar with good quality champagne, and mornings with coffee, freshly baked bread and showers. I did pop my head in the new QF lounge and quite frankly they have missed a trick, seems very “normal” to me, the wing is probably best if you are using gates near the main terminal building though.

mkcol74
    Participant

Slightly OT: I see CX have fares from £500 return for Manchester to Sydney just announced today. Economy though, but still a really good price.

K1ngston
    Participant

As always MartynSinclair thats a mighty +11111

HKG just feel right as an airport whether you are arriving or leaving, I love the First lounge next to Gate 4 the food and service is excellent.

Not only has Term 5 got so much to learn but so does BKK which we have berated before but also I have to make a play for Changi and KUL also, they need to move away from security at the gates this is time consuming and HKG shows how its done, which gives extra time to shop or luxuriate in the lounges without the hassle of queuing again at the gate!

Also agree get the on the train and go to the Peninsular awesome stuff !!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Now back in T5, which feels very much like the poor relative to HKG and Asia.. rude staff, internet down and standard security checking, “how difficult can we make it this time”

To be fair to HKG, they have managed to avoid a central transfer / transit security clearance, instead creating, I presume, several points along the corridors in order to get up one level, through a VERY COURTEOUS security control.

canucklad
    Participant

Is it just me, but having re-read the posts is anyone else curious as to what Cromarty Scot ended up doing ?

CromartyScot
    Participant

Canucklad – on the way out we just stayed in the airport and lounge hopped. Had a shower and breakfast in the Bridge and then headed to the Wing. Actually preferred the Bridge. On the way back we jumped on the train into the city and had drinks at the top of the Ritz Carlton – amazing views.

AleRomUY
    Participant

Hi guys! Since it has been almost a year from the last entry on this forum and so maybe things have changed; and considering I will be flying CX on Business Class to JKT next month, which lounge do you recommend me? I’m OW Emerald too so I can go to any lounge.
    Thanks for your advice.

ScottWilson
    Participant

For a OW Emerald, the Pier First Class Lounge is superior to the Wing First Class Lounge, but bear in mind it is a LONG trek back from where the Pier is (Gate 63) to the rest of the terminal. The Wing is on the left immediately after immigration, so that’s your choice of first class lounges. The Pier First Class Lounge is relatively new, only being open now since July 2015. Cathay’s website describes in some detail the features of the Wing vs the Pier First Class Lounges.

In between those the Bridge is near Gate 36, and is the best Cathay business class lounge IMHO – although turn right after immigration and you get the Qantas Lounge which is also very good.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Would agree with Scott, was at Pier FC lounge late last year and it is very nice. Great food, I think catered or inspired by the Penninsula Hotel. Enjoy

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

You will be spoilt for choice:

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_CN/travel-information/flying-with-us/all-lounges/hong-kong-international-airport-lounges.html

http://www.loungebuddy.com/ultimate-guide-cathay-pacific-lounges-hong-kong-international-airport/

http://www.ausbt.com.au/hong-kong-lounge-guide-for-qantas-cathay-pacific-and-oneworld

The Wing (Businesss) is excellent albeit that the noodle bar upstairs can get a bit busy – because it is understandably popular. There is a broad range of food styles and drinks. You will find that the downstairs lounge is usually quieter and that is where you can have a very pleasant and relaxing shower too. The Wing (First Class) is …even more excellent – with inter alia very palatable Laurent Perrier pink champagne, should you be so minded.

The Bridge, up by the neck of the “Y”, is also very good with an extensive choice of food styles and a wide selection of drinks. [EDITED to correct: It DOES have showers, it is the Cabin – midway down the spine – that does not. Sorry].

All-in-all, there is an air of calm comfort and relaxation about CX’s lounges, be they in HKG, BKK or (until they were closed for refurbishment) LHR T3. If the new BKK lounge is anything to go by, when the LHR T3 lounges reopen, they will be superb.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls