Which airports should be completely demolished and rebuilt?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 118 total)

• tomwjsimpson
    Participant

[quote quote=953648]Reading through these old posts brought back memories of travelling through EDI twice this year. What a disaster that is now! Definitely knock it down and rebuild.[/quote]

EDI is a shopping mall first, airport second now! GLA is far nicer to travel through, although, more often than not I take a short hop from ABZ and then on. The Northern Lights lounge at ABZ is lovely

cwoodward
    Participant

Sydney is a horribly inadequate airport.

I have been traveling in and out of it several times a year for the past 40 years and in my opinion the several expansions have been so ill conceived and cheaply constructed that that the overall experience has deteriorated to the point that it is very sub par for a large international airport.
    The airport terminal seems to consist of the (perhaps extended) original central terminal building and an ever increasing series of low level light weight large sheds connected by narrow dark corridors without travelators.
    The walk can be very long to immigration and overall a rather unpleasant experience that reminds me rather of the old international terminal at LHR thirty or forty years ago.

To me it seems that this airport terminal is well past its ‘use-by date’ and particularly as the very busy domestic terminals are 4k away and connected only by bus, taxi or a ludicrous arrangement that uses a public rail line with often already full local trains arriving at unannounced infrequent intervals.

Surely Australia could and should do better than this cobbled together arrangement for the countries defacto gateway airport.

2 users thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=953666]Surely Australia could and should do better than this cobbled together arrangement for the countries defacto gateway airport.[/quote]

Especially when you consider the buckets of cash spent prior to the Olympics back in the day !!

[quote quote=953651]What a disaster that is now! Definitely knock it down and rebuild.[/quote]

Credit where credit is due , the one part of the building that they’ve eventually got right is the security area. Even when its busy, I’m normally through pretty rapidly.
    I’d also recommended the new Brewdog pub , located at the new gate 14 area. Apart from that its a disgrace

1 user thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

Hhmm.

SYD comprises three terminals. Which one in particular is rubbish, or do you mean all three?

And the Olympics were 19 years ago, so money spent then would not have been intended to make it a great airport for 19 years. They’ve spend a lot since then too.

canucklad
    Participant

Apologies esselle, the 2nd part of my comment above relates to my local airport EDI.
    Referring to Sydney, my point is , the place was a building site leading up to 2000 and as far as the airport is concerned , subsequent visits since then would suggest that any investment in the infrastructure at the time was wasted. It seems that there was no long term planning , just reactive spending !

capetonianm
    Participant

The problem with most airports and transport hubs and modes is the people who use them and the lack of respect they show to each other and to staff.

cwoodward
    Participant

Hi esselle
    My main target was the international terminal as I have not used the others for a couple of years.
    However the fact that they are so far away and reaching them from the main terminal is such an under resourced mess rather underscores that whole place needs redevelopment.

esselle
    Participant

Hi cwoodward

I have to agree with you; transferring INT/DOM is hopeless.

SimonS1
    Participant

Was in Entebbe a few weeks back. Probably ok in colonial times but awful now.

Queue down the road 500m from terminal (check of car, xray of passengers), second queue outside terminal (for sniffer dog check of bags). Third queue to enter terminal (full x ray screening/passport check). Crammed check in area, too many flights at same time. Fourth queue at immigration where miserable and bored woman was trying to work and WhatsApp at same time. Inadequate seating (although lounge was OK). Fifth queue at gate for another full xray screening. Stopped at gate for taking a photo of the plane (not allowed – “security risk”). Almost every 20 paces someone steps forward – “can I see your boarding pass” (no please/thank you) – why, unless previous checkers are incompetent.

What a dump.

PS – why would you start calling people to the gate before the inward 777 flight has even landed – takes at least 90 mins to clean and turn.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Malpensa in my opinion needs knocking down and rebuilding. T2, the original terminal is in a terrible state and the relatively new T1 is so shabby and badly designed it also needs rebuilding.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

Finally the airport that started this thread is going to demolish it’s terminal!

Leeds Bradford unveils plans for £150 million new terminal

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=953666][/postquote]

cwoodward its not just Sydney, Melbourne is also a mist mash of buildings with no rhyme or reason, as is Brisbane, I dont understand especially in Brisbane where at certain times of the day you need to take an Uber to get from International to Domestic flights, this has always been ridiculous! Then if you go to Perth the airport is the size of a small provincial airport elsewhere, I think Australian airports are really badly designed and are not up to standard for the 21t century and beyond, they really do need to address the domestic/International situation at most of them!

TupeloKid
    Participant

Why does Leeds have an airport?

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=987386]Why does Leeds have an airport?[/quote]

A piece of friendly advice TupeloKid …..I wouldn’t ask that question directly to a Yorkshireman

And anyway, seems like Leeds /Bradford might just be a bit to luxurious !

capetonianm
    Participant

This is why Leeds has an airport :

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 118 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls