What should BA do with the Heathrow Concorde?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 109 total)

• millionsofmiles
    Participant

Esselle, yes, that rings a bell…..we had someone like that….
    name was Vicky Brug, or Vintage Poop or Betty Splooge or something…dont remember the name, but it certainly rings a bell…

Guest_Poster
    Participant

esselle – 11/06/2013 12:50 GMT
    millionsofmiles – 11/06/2013 12:59 GMT

Perhaps now we know why BA has designed a single middle seat in the upper deck of the A388? But they got confused by the number of different handles on BT and over estimated how many seats they would need, in this configuration. Just one, perhaps?

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Two points.

1. As was stated “Many concordes are on display in Germany, France and other places… ” You don’t have to leave the country. Manchester airport is looking after its Concorde very well thank you. The inbound flight path into MAN from the East was directly over my house when I lived in Stockport, and we always were pleased to hear Concorde overhead.

2. This thread is developing one of the regular spats. For the record, I used to post on this forum under a different handle, and left – for quite a long time – after a piece of utterly stupid and egregious rudeness directly from VK. The forum is useful and informative if we all watch our manners, but becomes a waste of time when insults start to fly.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

VintageKrug – 11/06/2013 10:40 GMT
    BT does not have the functionality to view IP addresses, for some reason. Even if they did, people use multiple IPs, what with home/office and mobile connections, that it is not a valid test.

The above makes no sense.

1) How do you know BT does not have ‘the functionality’ to view IP addresses? There is no ‘functionality’ involved whatsoever, and I speak as someone who has moderated and administered a forum in the past. (And one which had considerably more users and therefore more trolls) I have easily ascertained someone posting in with multiple handles, anyone with more than a rudimentary understanding of the internet knows you always leave a digital footprint. BT has the exact same method available to them, nevertheless, it does intrigue me how you would presume to know what BT can and cannot do with their forum which is linked to their website?

2) The point I made was not to seek people who have the same handle with various IP, that would be normal as we all post from various locations, it is however sublimely easy to detect people who use the same IP address for more than one name/handle/monkier. Off the top of my head, and to use an example: Do “AllOverTheGaff” and “Henkel.Trocken” ever post from the same IP address? They should each have a different IP address at all times, there should never ever be an overlap unless those two particular posters share the same computer. (Hope you don’t mind me using you in this analogy HT)

AOTG.

SimonS1
    Participant

Well done Kruggles, another thread from way back bounced with some inane comment.

I would have thought you were busy briefing yourself for your cross examination of the Hon. W Walsh.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

DavidGordon10 – 11/06/2013 15:04 GMT
    1. As was stated “Many concordes are on display in Germany, France and other places… ” You don’t have to leave the country. Manchester airport is looking after its Concorde very well thank you. The inbound flight path into MAN from the East was directly over my house when I lived in Stockport, and we always were pleased to hear Concorde overhead.

Hi David

Aye, we’ve one on display just outside Edinburgh too, I’ve not been to see that particular one yet but will do so in the autumn, doing a bit of a sight-seeing thing in my home nation.

I’ve been on the one in NYC, and all I could think of when on it was how gutted I am that I’ll never be able to fly in one. I have very few regrets in life, but one I hold is that I never bit-the-bullet and had a go in Concorde when I had the chance. Sure all on here will recall that post-crash there were all sorts of incentives to get people back on-board, I looked at it but decided no…..*sigh*…..

Rgds.
    AOTG.

stevescoots
    Participant

I can spoof 23 different countries with my VPN, so having multiple handles and IP’s operating off 4 machines sat in front of me right now is no problem at for anyone

millionsofmiles
    Participant

AOTG, yes, although exorbitantly expenive even for a business passenger, Concorde was an experience. The takeoff like a rocket, then in mid-takeoff the (regular)shutdown of the boosters gave the feeling the eninges failed….the view from the little windows on the curvature of the earth….and then the service:
    top champagne, excellent wines, caviar, foie gras, a small hot meal….and then the thunderbird sails into JFK….an amazing experience…and worth every penny.
    And the same with the 8am retunr flight offering a caviar breakfast, top service and flying with the demise of daylight.
    Will never experience that in my lifetime again!

BigDog.
    Participant

ATOG or Guest_Poster can you please enlighten me as to the physics behind how Concorde often caused the alarms a whole raft of cars to go off when it was flying subsonic near Heahrow? Vibrations? Noise Frequency?

Edit – Thanks for your prompt responses gentlemen, am duly enlightened

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

BigDog. – 11/06/2013 16:07 GMT
    ATOG or Guest_Poster can you please enlighten me as to the physics behind how Concorde often caused the alarms a whole raft of cars to go off when it was flying subsonic near Heahrow? Vibrations? Noise Frequency?

Sorry BigDog, the guide we had at the Concorde in NYC didn’t go into that one.

He told us it was the one the Queen had flown in, in fact we sat in ‘her’ seat for the photos, and it is the world record holder for fastest ever transatlantic flight by a passenger aircraft…

I worked with a bloke years ago who was a co-pilot on Concorde too, there is just something inherently fascinating about that plane isn’t there? What a great shame it is no longer in the sky.

Rgds.
    AOTG.

Guest_Poster
    Participant

BigDog. – 11/06/2013 16:07 GMT

IIRC, car alarms have a ‘trembler’ switch that detects anyone tampering with the vehicle and set off the alarm. Concorde used reheat on takeoff (basically fuel was sprayed into the jet pipe and caused extra gas expansion and thus power), this also caused a ‘crackling’ type of sound which was the right frequency to cause the tremblers to tremble.

When she took off from LHR, you could hear car alarms triggered in the closest staff car parks.

That’s my opinion.

terminal
    Participant

so what is the answer – what to do with the Concorde? It is the past, we live in the present and BA should look to the future, but why is it still sitting in so abysmal a parking space?

dutchyankee
    Participant

I still firmly believe, as do some others on this thread, that she should form a part of the Terminal 5 Complex as BA`s Homebase. Concorde may not be flying anymore, but she still represents something amazing in airline history, something quite unique, and should be preserved. Not sure if the roof of T5 could hold her (emptied out of course) but it would be an impressive adornment to the terminal.

pdtraveller
    Participant

Loved Concorde and flew on it around a dozen times.

Much as I loved it I cannot see how it has any relevance to today’s BA and therefore how it could ever reasonably be positioned at T5. The airline today is a poor shadow of the airline which operated this magnificent machine.

The grounding of Concorde for economic reasons was a no brainier however I think it removal from all flying was an act of corporate vandalism. Keeping 1 or 2 flying via private funding would have been possible as there were sufficient numbers of keen enthusiasts. Why AF BA and Airbus chose the route they did only they know.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

On my last flight into Heathrow I espied Concorde at her parking place. Her beauty puts all other modern airliners in the shade, never mind the technical prowess involved in making her – I seem to recall a Jeremy Clarkson article in which he told of a conversation he had with a NASA engineer who said creating the space shuttle was easy by comparison.

BA should use this magnificent marketing opportunity properly, or admit they cannot do so and give the airframe to an institution that can give it a proper home

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 109 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls