What Makes the Ideal Hotel Bathroom?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 72 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

No more guilty than me Simon 😉

Communipaw
    Participant

Personally, I prefer a proper bathroom vent that when turned on…actually vents steam build up.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

The one comment I would add to the lists above is simple to use equipment. This covers a lot of what has been said (eg let us have rubber plugs not complicated engineering) but one can go further.

It is simply infuriating to get into the shower after a long day on the road and find you have no idea how to get hot water, cold water, the right temperature water, hand-nozzle or overhead etc. I once had a bathroom with a jacuzzi bath, and no instructions how to use it (and no it was not obvious!). Very frustrating.

Another real bugbear is shampoo containers one cannot open with wet hands. Or even at all (think sachets in the cheaper hotels). And why should it have to be a struggle to get into the soap? Some of us are not as young as we were and fiddly tight containers you cannot open with less nimble hands are not just wrong, they fail in their only purpose in life – ie to be usable by all the hotel’s clients.

Lastly I would like a wall-clock in the bathroom so you can see how long you have got before you have to get going – and if Mrs S is in there, a timer with a pinger as well (but then she will kill me if she sees this!)

Recordman
    Participant

Why don’t hotels install thermostatically controlled showers? It’s so difficult trying to adjust the temperature and the flow rate when one isn’t wearing glasses.

Papillion53
    Participant

Cedric_Statherby – I imagine you would be well and truly “pinged” if Mrs S read this! LOL!

I know what you mean – “old age does not come itself”, and it is increasingly frustratingly difficult to open stuff, and find it without your glasses, that’s if you can remember where you put your glasses in the first place! 😉 🙂

We were in the Hotel Romeo in Naples en route to Capri last year, and it was an “all singing, all dancing” switches everywhere bedroom. Took a degree in goodness knows what to work out the lights – even had sensor lights under the bed which came on when you got out of bed at night – that’s all very well, but if you’re up and down to the loo, or if one of you sticks your leg out of the covers, the room lit up like Blackpool tower!

The bathroom light, we finally found out was on a sensor. After several minutes of what became a rather heated “discussion” shall we say between Mrs P (lying in bed at this point trying to read) and the DH who for the life of him could not get the bathroom light to go off, nor could he find the switch to do so and going back and fore didn’t help as the sensor didn’t have time enough to switch off. So of course he would come into the bedroom and he would accuse poor Mrs P of manipulating said light only to go back into the bathroom to find the light off when the sensor (unknown to him) would do its job and the light would come back on just as he turned the corner into bathroom. Then my mad DH, and getting madder each time, would march back to bedroom and accuse poor Mrs P of playing tricks on him! When Mrs P protested, not only did DH scoff but accuse even further!. Finally he gave up, sat on bed in full view of Mrs P (who at this point had her hands held high in a “Wasna Me Guv” pose and said bathroom light eventually went off . Must be a sensor, we both exclaimed at the same time! LOL!

stevescoots
    Participant

The best Hotel bathrooms i have experianced are both in asia. the inter in shenzhen (the suite rooms not standard) and the Cotai facing suites at the Venetian Macau. both of these tick most of the boxes required here. The V is missing the TV in the bath but does have the speakers

esselle
    Participant

Langham hotels in Asia tend to have intersting loo seats; a sensor raises the lid as you approach. The seat itself is heated. There is a control panel which enables you to, ahem, send a jet of warm water from the front, or rear, as preferred. Then, you have the option of a blast of warm air, again from front or rear. Finally, a magic flush, then the lid lowers itself again.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ esselle – 25/10/2012 17:39 GMT

This raises potential nightmare issues should the circuitry/software do a SNAFL and the lid rises when you sit on it, super-heating in the process etc. Do they have emergency eject buttons just in case you need to bail out?

esselle
    Participant

AnthonyDunn

Technolongy and I are not natural bedfellows, so rather than take any risks, I used to hit the “OFF” button!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

A speakerphone with wall buttons so that when someone rings just as one is starting to use the facilities, one can answer without getting electrocuted. The Peninsula Bangkok has this next to the bath – very decadent!

More practically speaking, though:

* enough shelf space to spread one’s toiletries around the handbasin without it all getting wet

* plastic baths are fine. All deference to VK’s preferences, but one can always maintain the heat by topping up with the VK-preferred paddle taps. Putting your shoulders down on a freezing metal bath rim, however, is never pleasant

* flooring which isn’t super-slippery when dry, let alone wet

* handtowels at a sensible height – why do they have to keep sticking them on low rails somewhere around knee-height?

* doors that open and shut quietly and are reasonably soundproof, so that if one of us needs to use the facilities at nighttime – or gets up earlier to deal with the offspring or snagging the best pool loungers – it doesn’t inevitably involve the other being woken up (and quiet flushes, for the same reason)

* somewhere to put a book or magazine in the “water closet” (as VK referred to it)

* no “pipe noise” – oh, the number of times I have been woken up by noisy pipes because others in the hotel decide to have their showers at 5am!!

CharlesRhona
    Participant

Underfloor heating!!

Stringfellow
    Participant

Adding to the wish list above –

TV to watch while soaking, since we installed this at home I now miss it when away.

Natural light.

Telephone next to the bath

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

Stark, bright lighting.
    Lots of white.
    Impeccable cleanliness.
    Lots of towels.
    A rainforest shower.
    Good quality products.

Papillion53
    Participant

If it’s ALL for me! One of the worst things about staying in an hotel, is having to share the lovely bathroom with the DH – you know what I mean girls – the smelly you know what’s!!! And of course they always claim theirs is odour free! 😉 🙂

The Taj Hotel in Sydney – thank you again for the recommendation – have some rooms with 2 loos – a full bathroom and smaller cloakroom. Now that is the perfect setup!

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

Papillon – I know what you mean.

Mrs S and I once stayed at the Hotel Georges V in Paris (just the once). It was overbooked and so they started to try to upgrade us. In fact is was SERIOUSLY overbooked and they went higher and higher in the room hierarchy, with more and more worried looks, until it transpired that the only room left was … the presidential suite!

It was enormous. We had an entry hall, a sitting room, a dining room, a study, an enormous bedroom and TWO fully equipped bathrooms. Oh, and a private lift to the basement garage for the discrete get-away.

It was about 3 times the size of the small London flat we lived in at the time and I have never stayed anywhere remotely like it since. But it does mean that when I make my millions, his-n-her bathrooms will be high on the list …

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 72 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls