What Makes the Ideal Hotel Bathroom?

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)

• Papillion53
    Participant

Aah every time I open this thread, I do wonder what HE is doing now …. if HE looks in from time to time ….. if anyone else misses HIM and HIS very useful tips ….. Silly old Mrs P (before anyone else says it!!LOL!)

So back on topic, I was looking at an hotel in Barcelona which I thought looked very modern, very, very snazzy, thought I will book that (we tend to go for more traditional places) and then I read the bathroom including the loo is semi-open plan with the bedroom! Is this a new trend?

Oh me, oh my, that would never do, not with my DH anyway!!! LOL!

BTW doing my research for hotels in Barcelona, there appear to be many very exciting and different properties in the city. Hard to make a decision, but have gone for an apartment in a converted building, with, yes, you’ve guessed, TWO bathrooms!!! 😉 🙂

canucklad
    Participant

Just stayed at the leeds Crowne plaza….

Had to phone Steven Hawking, so he could send me instructions on how to get the shower to work at a temprature that didn’t treat me like a lobster !!!

Cloud-9
    Participant

I have come across quite a few open plan bathrooms in Indochina.

I was aware of the prevalence of them there, and tried booking hotels with the more traditional style. However, I came unstuck once each in Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam.

They varied from having a screen separating the bath from the bed area to a toilet and separate shower, each with no door (but side-on to the living area, so actually quite private).

Having said that, some of the best hotels – one was absolutely superb in all other respects – do have them out there, so as long as you are alone or travelling with somebody you know well, they are acceptable.

CXDiamond
    Participant

Ian is right about the Peninsula in Bangkok, they have done a superb job not just on their bathrooms but on everything in the room.

That said, I prefer my bathrooms uncomplicated and the ones on the club floor at the Fairmont in Singapore are my favourites, beautifully thought out, brilliant white and no gadgets. I go there to wash and/or relax and switch off. I don’t want to be able to do anything else there at all.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I have to say I detest open bathrooms, and wet-rooms.

One of the worst ideas in hotel bathroom designs I ever encountered was (if memory serves me correctly) at the Conrad in Bangkok. The wall between the bathroom and bedroom was glass, and there was a privacy screen. So far so good, you might think, but… the button controlling the screen was on the bedroom side!! I discovered this when a colleague and I met up in my room before going out to a meeting. As is entirely common and normal, I visited the bathroom first. He, meanwhile, trying to work the lights, inadvertently (and to our mutual horror) hit the button raising the screen…

IIRC correctly, it was the same hotel where some bright spark decide that the perfect material to use for the paving around the swimming-pool was dark slate, with the result that on any sunny day – for example, the sort of day where you might, er, want to use the pool – the entire area became engulfed in a shimmering heatwave, and the flooring became impossible to touch with bare feet. Absolute idiocy (and entirely predictable and therefore avoidable)

judynagy
    Participant

Obviously the designers/managers of various properties have never travelled anywhere. The hotel industry could create a list of real travellers and hire one of us for a consultation before they commit to all these dumb ideas. The lack of common sense is prevalent at all levels, from the Holiday Inn Express to the Conrads. It’s quite amazing. Love the privacy screen story, Ian.

esselle
    Participant

Off topic, sorry. but what about the room designers who cannot do common sense when it comes to switches?
    How many times have you got into bed, then tried to work out how to turn off all the lights?
    There is always one, somewhere, which means you have to get up, then start flicking on, off, on, off, until you get them all off and crawl back to bed in darkness……..

SergeantMajor
    Participant

Overly complicated lighting systems is the bane of many business travellers’ lives.

The “Art + Tech” rooms at the Meridien Dubai are among the worst offenders; lights would come on and off randomly, and I eventually resorted to wearing a sleep mask.

Wow, I have never shaved etc. with eyeshades on.

BA4ever
    Participant

What a wonderful topic!
    My number one demand is cleanliness.
    Second would be a hand-held telephone shower. Anything else can and will mess with my hair when I don’t want to wash it!
    Third, decent heating and something not slippery to walk on when I walk out of the shower.
    After that, I’d say enough space for my hundreds of bottles of lotions and potions, good lighting and soundproofing.
    Toiletries are welcome because I have a collection, but I don’t use them during my stay, I always bring mine.
    A radio or the sound of the telly in the bathroom would be a nice addition, together with tissue paper and more than 2 towels per person.

Having said all that, the only hotel that provided the bathroom of my dreams, so far, is Londa, in Cyprus.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

I agree BA4ever, the hand-held shower is a must. Too many “designers” think that they look untidy and that a single fixed central shower head is “better”.

My conclusion is (1) that designers don’t care about their hair getting wet when the objective is just to wash the rest of the body and (2) designers don’t have nether regions that need to be washed thoroughly.

The alternative is that designers are all acrobats who can do handstands in the shower to rinse their tail ends….

BA4ever
    Participant

Hmmmm… acrobats! Now that is a good answer to “what were they thinking?”!!!

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls