USA Television

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)

• Communipaw
    Participant

Oh my….I’m saddened to learn of Mr. Hughes’ passing.

“Keeping Up Appearances” remains very popular here in the States. Its shown over most of our PBS stations.

We call shows such as that “BritComs”

Thank you for letting me know.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Communipaw,

Yes, very sad. Pancreatic cancer. He was apparently a really nice bloke. “Appearences” (which was so bad, it was brilliant) was largely filmed in my hometown, Leamington Spa. Onswlo’s house was in Wood Green, Coventry, and the “Bouquet Residence” was in Heather Road, Binley Woods.

I was working for the Local Authority at the time and the BBC had to get permissions from us. It was up there in “Britcom” with shows like “It Ain’t Half Hot Mum” but nowhere near as good as stuff like “Porridge” or anything else written by Dick Clement and Ian LeFrenais (Likely Lads, Auf Wiedersehen Pet etc).

Cheers, Simon

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Very sad indeed. RIP. I remember him also in Coronation Street as dustbin man Eddie Yeates. A truly brilliant actor up there with Rowan Atkinson, John Cleese and Stephen Fry. Thanks for the info Simon.

PatJordan
    Participant

Not forgetting Mr. Hughes’ brilliant role of “Twiggy” in the Royle Family. A sad loss indeed.

The acting fraternity also lost another great earlier this week : Simon Ward (Sir Monty Everard in Judge John Deed, Bishop Gardner in the Tudors).

RIP Gentlemen, and thanks Simon for taking the time to remind us of Geoffery Hughes’ passing.

dubtraveller
    Participant

Dreadful weather here in LI today Martyn, hope the sun continues to shine down in FL – so much for me enjoying cruising round the beaches up in the Hamptons! Even worse, the Marriott hotel Directtv link keeps cutting out as a result of the weather so sporting tv tonight – at least in hotel – is going to be a fristrating affair..excuse to get out. Let’s hope tomorrow improves, as I have planned out an ‘intensive’ tour of the LI winneries on the North Fork..just hope I make it back for Sunday night!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“hate” to report Chris that the weather in Fl, remains hot hot hot.

LP – the McDonalds education comes only from the advertising!! I am afraid I am with Mrs LP and agree with her choice of juice!!

We move up to Myrtle Beach next week & then on to the PGA Championship at Kiawah Island, Master Sinclair wanting to get a feel.

Out of interest, the $2 billion+ NBC paid for the US TV rights, does London see any of this money or does/did it all go to Olympic PLC.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Folks,

A mere (and probably worthless) observation.

What a nice thread. No animosity. No “points scoring.” Great.

It may not be totally relevant to business travel but, it says to me (at least) what this Forum should be about.

And (speaking as a bemused neutral who has no axe to grind) no references to BA either….

Regards to all, Simon

dubtraveller
    Participant

Martyn – thanks for remaining so upbeat in spite of that weather! Guilty again of more thread-drift, but I note again plenty of empty seating at the swimming and now the gymanistics…will Lord Coe carry out his threat – should this be attributable to corporate/group ticket holders of course!
    Martyn – your itinerary sounds very well planned, so enjoy (not the least bit jealous of course…..)
    And I should add my respects to Geoffrey Hughes, who not only was a great comedy actor, but also brought great sartorial elegance to the roles he played (where is my my white trunk vest…)

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Dubtraveller,

Great stuff. A string vest of course.

S

dubtraveller
    Participant

Simon – of which I used to own one (or two) or the non-string variety of course(!), but just don’t say it too loudly..I imagine he would he would have been a great guy to have a pint (or more) with….and aren’t those sometimes the most pleasurable moments of life…good pint..nice pub/bar, great conversation and…it could be the effect of this splendid LI wine I am drinking…a yearning for a smoke (cigar variety…)..all the best, Chris

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Chris,

You think like myself and several more on this Forum. I’m glad you’re posting. Please keep it up. We need a lot more like you.

I’m sitting in my home in Warwickshire at 03.30 on a Sunday morning, with a glass of superb kiwi sauvignon blanc (after several Timmy Taylor Landlords in my local beforehand, I hasten to add) and about to go into the garden for a smoke (Silk Cut Purple, of course). Great to see your posts, Chris. Please stick with us as we can be a bunch of miserable b+ggers at times…. but our posters get togethers are also a load of fiun.

Cheers buddy, Simon

SimonRowberry
    Participant

PS,

Hi, Martyn!

S

dubtraveller
    Participant

Simon, I can almost smell that silk cut from here..how I wish I had got some smokes in duty free on the way over!! (and apologies Martyn!). Well, that’s it then, nothing left but to polish off that bottle in the room fridge then…Simon, you brought a big smile to my face, like-minded indeed (night summer evenings with glass in one hand etc…), here’s to many more postings with everyone else. Chris

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Chris,

Good man. Enjoy what is available to smoke and drink, and from my humble perspective (in the VK way of things, at least), I find it a pleasure to think we may have found another potential “regular poster” with both a sense of proportion and a sense of humour.

Cheers, Simon

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hey Simon, we never did get together before I left. Hopefully will arrange for September before I leave for BKK.

Please feel free to smoke, I am sure your aroma’s will not reach the land of Mickey & Co from either Warwickshire or Long Island!.

Not wishing to take advantage of the holiday spirit and new era of friendliness on this wonderful forum, but if anyone has any connections to enable some corporate hospitality at the PGA Championship event in Kiawah Island for the Thursday 9th August, please feel free to email me martynsinclair @ hotmail.com

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls