US Destinations – Enhanced Security – Delays expected

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)

• Charles-P
    Participant

Seems he was a criminal and it was not a TSA plant. Of course times change, when I was a boy in Rhodesia my father would fly between home and Cape Town with a pistol on his belt as a routine event.

WillieWelsh
    Participant

I came through LHR last night, it was no worse than usual for a Friday night and the goons did not appear to be too over active.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

CharlesP, you can still carry guns in South Africa, you just have to check them in now at a special window. It always brings a smile to my face as I imagine someone walking through LHR with his guns!!!

PeterCoultas
    Participant

nice FT comment (a different Harper) re Templehof : all gates had direct access for taxis where luggage went straight out to the flight with minimal wait and NO SHOPPING!

Please can we have this back!

JohnHarper
    Participant

It’s still there at TXL, what a pity they can’t just expand that model rather than open BER. In terms of functionality, TXL must be one of the most efficient airports in the world.

BrumTraveller
    Participant

I agree that TXL is efficient for arriving passengers. For departing passengers on the other hand it is a nightmare. Long queues at check-in filling the tiny landside area and making it difficult to get past. Massive queues to get through security at each gate. I am looking forward to Brandenburg opening although it probably won’t be before Boris Island opens.

Sorry for going OT but the landside crowds at TXL are one of my pet peeves.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

BrumTraveller – agree! To depart from TXL can be a nightmare, and one of my reasons that, when travelling within mainland Europe to and from Berlin, I try and find a train that is suitable.

Travellator
    Participant

Since when was TXL part of US enhanced security !

CXDiamond
    Participant

Has anyone noticed anything different on non-US flights yet? I passed through LHR on Saturday and there was just the usual sort of LHR chaos.

In front of me was a mother with two young children one of whom was in push chair. Both children were crying and the goon was shouting at the mother who obviously did not have English as a first language. I tried to help and suggested to the goon that as I speak Cantonese I could translate as the lady was clearly fluent in that. The result of my offer was the threat of being arrested for interfering with the search process.

I do wish I’d tested the video function on my phone, I think being posted on YouTube might have done that awful goon the world of good.

SimonS1
    Participant

Went through T3 a couple of weeks ago for the first time in 10 months and was reminded what a grim experience it is.

The security people must be the most miserable people on the planet. Hopeless organisation, totally charmless and of course any observations are met with the standard ‘we don’t accept threats’ type of response.

Under new owners Gatwick is light years ahead.

JohnHarper
    Participant

LHR T1 was dire yesterday, rude goons and long queues even in the slightly less slow track. They didn’t seem to be up to anything extra, just more ineffcient than usual.

Charles-P
    Participant

My sister arrived at Heathrow yesterday and also came through T1. She described the security and immigration people as,

“Deeply, deeply rude and unpleasant. Their condescending attitude to those who do not speak English is very offensive”

K1ngston
    Participant

I flew into MIA yesterday for meetings and they have recently introduced the new ESTA machines to try and reduce the horrific queuing at immigration and customs.

From getting off the plane to getting in a cab outside was 15 mins which is absolutely amazing! I was granted travelling with hand luggage only, we can’t expect miracles yet as baggage often takes longer to arrive than the flight itself but well done the TSA for realising Miami was by far the worst airport in the world for immigration queues and this is a huge step forward!

Almost makes flying there pleasant but maybe thats going just a tad too far!

WillieWelsh
    Participant

Very personable and pleasant people at DUS today, the border police even wished me a safe and pleasant journey. Arrived back at EDI and immigration greeted me with a snarl and scanned my passport three times before they were satisfied. I asked if there was a problem, got no answer, asked again and was told to move along and stop holding things up.

When will Mrs May be sacked for this disgraceful state of affairs. I do not want devolution but I’m beginning to see some attractions if we get rid of the current immigration nonsense as a result. We could then join Schengen!

Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls