US Destinations – Enhanced Security – Delays expected

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 89 total)

• JohnHarper
    Participant

Oh, that’s easy, did you not know it’s now impossible to buy a plastic glove anywhere in the UK or US as they have been stockpiled 😉

openfly
    Participant

Hi LP….sorry I missed your comment…I must take more care!!!

openfly
    Participant

I have a feeling that this doesn’t centre around explosive devices. I wonder if this now centres around substances such as ricin. Have the experts worked out that this may be the cause of the disappearance of the Malaysian 777? That is why they are not overly concerned about hold baggage because it is inaccessible. Have they discovered that one of the pax or crew on Malaysian had access to ricin or similar?

My concern in these current procedures is that it is possible to power a piece of equipment with a button battery so that it works for a few necessary minutes and the old battery space is containing something sinister.

Just a thought…..not a nice one!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

the reality is the possibilities are endless.

The ONLY way to reduce the risk, is not to increase the checks, but to reduce the cr*p that people take on board. I always hear passengers being interviewed saying any new security procedure is good and they (the passengers) favour the added security for the sake of safety – well, introduce the ultimate safety measure, BAN ALL HAND BAGGAGE….

The whole airport experience will be speeded up as the authorities wll have nothing to check….

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Hi Openfly, no worries. I was actually agreeing with your comment by referring to my earlier one. I was not meaning to chastise you for not reading it! 😉

You make a good point about Ricin and also the smaller batteries. Frightening!

dutchyankee
    Participant

Hi Martyn, as you know I too have a home in Florida, and we have converesed here together before about experiences be it flying there or MCO in particular. I would certainly think twice about selling in the States (especially now, even with the modest increase in housing prices). While the headache of flying to the US would then be over for you, do you really think you wont find plenty of headaches in Italy? Cost, Taxes, Corruption, Roads, Language (not an issue of course if you speak Italian, but a big one if you dont especially in more rural areas), poor service, public sector workers, strikes, etc.. Every place has its benefits and annoyances, but I would venture to say, that once through the `nightmare` of security checks, and of course the hell of immigration waits and customs, life in the USA is pretty good.

As someone who has to travel to the USA often due to my ailing Mom, of course I too hate the additional safety requirements, and fully agree, if carryon baggage was actually controlled better the process would be so much easier. I dont think a complete ban would be workable, but one briefcase size bag per passenger, period, would already speed things up dramatically. And as already stated here, a consistent approach throughout the world would be very helpful to speed things up. The USA wants these additional measures, but does nothing to control the amount of carryons and size of carryons passengers go through security with. It is mind blowing!

Charles-P
    Participant

In the early days of aviation there were two key differences which I still feel would have merit today.

1 – Individuals and their luggage were weighed at check-in. There was a maximum combined possible figure. Too fat, bring less bags.

2 – On board baggage was described as, “a modest handbag for a lady or small attache case for a gentleman”

For further information about the early days of aviation take a look at – http://croydonairportsociety.co.uk/

BrumTraveller
    Participant

FRA re-screens all non-Schengen connecting pax. At MUC they used to disembark US arriving flights on the top floor and re-screen (not sure what current practice is). Same at DUS. There must be re-screening at TXL as there is no transit area.

I actually prefer going through checkpoints in the US than at many European airports as, nowadays, I find the TSA staff courteous and helpful (wasn’t always the case, I admit!).

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The travel hassles to the USA are an important part of my decision, but equally important is the hassles of living in the USA. I am approaching retirement & would love to spend 6 months a year or more in the USA. Getting health / travel insurance is difficult as well as residency rights to come and go as I wish. I agree the life style is wonderful – but as one gets older, its more difficult to reside permanently in USA.

Italy on the other hand, is only 1 1/4 hours from London, has lovely weather, no problems with residency and serves wonderful food. Medical insurance is not an issue.

The language is a problem, but I am sure LP will help 🙂

The world is a small and wonderful place…..

dutchyankee
    Participant

Hi Martyn,

I certainly agree with you regarding Healthcare! Not wanting to get into a political discussion, but that is without a doubt the greatest failing in America, Health Care and insurance. This is why I travel back and forth so often to take care of things for my mom. It’s simply a disgrace, that an operation or illness requiring care can so easily wipe someone’s savings out before US healthcare kicks in. Thank goodness we are able afford the care and facility she needs.

That said, once in the US it is always quite nice to be someplace where everything works, roads are excellent, climate great (talking Florida here) and service is most often with a smile. I could never live there full time as I think I am too European, but do like being there when I am.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

For me the solution would be to buy a local health care policy, but I have not found an insurance company in the US that will cover me as I am not a US resident/citizen.

I just feel it is too dangerous to be in the States without health insurance / travel insurance cover.

If I was able to get a green card, without investing $500,000 – I would be off first thing tomorrow morning …

JohnHarper
    Participant

Re-screening at FRA is variable, if you get a bus transfer on arrival you will be screened no matter where you are coming from.

Mrs JH and I returned from Cyprus earlier in the week. Screening at ECN was sensible and there was no re-screening at IST.

Has anyone had experience of the re-vamped LHR this week?

dutchyankee
    Participant

Hi John, there was a very recent review on here by a passenger on the inaugeral Aer Lingus flight into T2 that gives some insight.

Charles-P
    Participant

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Incredible… on three counts.

1. That someone actually tries to take a loaded gun through an airport

2. That the TSA missed a loaded gun

3. How many weapons are still being missed… by the TSA..

…. unless of course it was a plant from the TSA to test the system

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 89 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls