US Destinations – Enhanced Security – Delays expected

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 89 total)

• Charles-P
    Participant

It was asked, “I don’t know why ME airports don’t require laptops to be removed”

In short because their staff are trained differently. In the early days of scanning technology items like laptops required a full uninterrupted scan to enable the unit to be fully examined. A coat or bag could block that however the latest generation of scanners (installed in all ICAO member countries) are easily able to ‘see’ through bags.

In Europe most airports are still removing them because of pressure from insurance companies who always want to be able to point to “adequate levels of screening” in the event of any claim.

BigDog.
    Participant

Just in case you have missed the reports..
    ..carriers to US are advising check-in 3 hours before flights (hope you have fast track)
    – ensure mobile, laptop, tablet etc are charged so can be demonstrated to start/boot up.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2682478/Airports-facing-chaos-US-declares-wont-allow-uncharged-cellphones-laptops-flights-bound-America.html

Charles-P
    Participant

Yes because if your laptop can been shown to start up then it obviously can’t be a bomb can it ? Words fail me.

At Paris CDG yesterday I understand the delays were terrible as multiple laptops ipads etc where removed, swabbed, booted up and closed down. All done of course with that cheery happy disposition that airport security staff are known for.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The new rules about electronic “toys” needing to power up on inspection is interesting:

1. Why do the Americans feel the problem is only on direct International flights and not internal US flights. May be its a case of US citizens thinking this is a step too far….

2. The way the Israeli security handle these issues verses the US authorities. The Israeli’s just implement / change / but do so without fanfare. The US announce the new measures with fan fare across all the major news wires. I know there are far more travellers/flights to US than to Israel.

3. Why not ban electronic toys on board full stop….. or even better, control the amount of hand baggage that needs checking… (I know this has been flogged to death on another thread).

4. Would be interested to hear at what point will the additional security measures make you think twice about travelling…

I am seeing far more people using Private jets/Charter than ever before, purely to speed their way through airports….

Charles-P
    Participant

MartynSinclair – good point about private jet/charter. We have started to use this a lot more than in recent years. Once I have four members of staff all going to the same destination from roughly the same area the costs are on many occasions better. Once we factor in the ‘hassle factor’ of security checks, queuing, car parking etc etc it’s an easy decision.

Travellator
    Participant

Martyn – Ban all electronic toys ? Most of us travel with some sort of communication device – mobile phones Apple and Samsung are in the majority – this would commit most of us to hold baggage check in – this would involve huge delays at check in and baggage reclaim for hand baggage only travellers don’t you think ?

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Why ban electronic toys….better still ban passengers – would solve the problem

BigDog.
    Participant

Gadget advice :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28193654

focus is on mobile phones, but tablets, MP3 players, cameras and electric shavers are also covered for power on checks.

British Airways has said that its customers face being made to rebook if they are found in possession of an uncharged device.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I just cannot make 2+2=4 here. If the threat is real, and I still have my doubts here, the phone working or not will not make an iota of difference. You could still have a working phone with explosive packed in!

Second, what if you pack your mobile and check it in? We’re told all electronic devices must be turned off if packed. So we could have cases checked in by suicide bombers with mobile phones primed to explode. Comforting!!!

Why do the authorities do this to the travelling public? I think it’s so they can have greater control over us. To force us to travel in servantile obedience giving security goons at airports more power and threatening to prosecute us should we dare question them. The fact is if terrorists want to bring down a plane there are plenty of other ways of doing it.

By giving publicity to these threats they create panic and worry for no reason instead of thinking things through and taking silent but decisive action against potential perpetrators. But of course in our mixed up muddled up world, more rights are given to terrorists and murderers to protect their human rights than are given to tax paying law abiding citizens who have, I think, more of a right to a life than those who want to kill us!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I suggested some time ago, the ONLY way to speed the airport process up, is to BAN ALL HAND LUGGAGE!

I know this sounds drastic, but if passengers did not carry bags and bags of STUFF through, everyone would get through security and the airport system quicker.

If the Americans DICTATE no electronics, well, if you want to travel to the States, just follow the rules. We all know to carry ID and address verification into banks, we all know its daft, but we do it.

I have decided to put my property in the States on the market and am looking to become a neighbour of LP (in Italy). Quite frankly, I am fed up going to America and having to put up with the continual airport Q’s…

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Looking forward to welcoming you here Martyn. There are some bargains to be had right now in Italy.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

excellent, just need to persuade one person and assure another that there are decent golf courses….. 🙂

Love the idea of a second home being less than 3 hours door to door and that I can actually live there, rather than just visit (as in USA).

Totally fed up with going to USA…

canucklad
    Participant

Continuing my rant from last week……

When the Americans merged and renamed their domestic security with the Orwellian grandiose name …”Homland Security” they probably chose the name knowing it would pander to the patriotic paranoia proletariat who watch Fox News and take their views as red as their necks already are.

So whenever someone from the Washington ministry of truth proclaims an edict it tends to promote this ecstasy of fear that our American cousins now relish in.

And because of this ,all of our safety is put at risk. I had to explain to my pal that even though he was flying to Spain he would also be subjected to the same measures as those flying to the US…. He still doesn’t believe me !

Edited to add……I should have said that my opinion that their putting us all at risk is their old west “Cowboy” attitude to managing terrorism. The documentary about the liquid bombers didn’t leave me with much confidence in the manner in which the Americans intervene with little respect for judicial process.

Charles-P
    Participant

Came through Brussels this morning. Security staff very much enjoying themselves with their requests to have random laptops and phones powered up. The classic personality type that enjoys their minor amount of power being slightly increased. A woman was forced to switch on her ipod and prove it played music ! Absolutely farcical.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Question – what is the situation with digital cameras – if it is necessary to show it can work then do the security staff have to take us out of the terminal since photography in the security area is forbidden ?

Lucky that cameras aren’t blunt instruments!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 89 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls