Travel Checklist & Tips

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)

• Anonymous

mardy123
    Participant

Checklist suggestions for business travel

Take extra passport pics for company security badge, train pass.

Company credit card, (in Europe-know ATM PIN by numbers, not just letters.

Company ID Badge & old drivers License (extra picture ID vs your passport when possible).

ALWAYS take your passport to visit the customer-other IDs may not work.

Call/e-mail ahead to hotel for transportation if needed vs using local taxi in unsafe cities, also for restaurant or social event reservations.

Medications-Sleeping-Tylenol PM, Melatonin), Kaopectate, Imodium, Benadryl-new allergic discoveries.

Carry-on water, food (for those 3-hr stays on plane).

Carry-on a change of business clothes in case of lost luggage.

Shirts & pants in separate dry cleaning bags to avoid wrinkles .

Small magnifying glass for maps, compass.

Laundry rope/string and for tying up broken suitcase.

Keep a stash of Landing cards/emigration papers-can fill out ahead of time in comfort of home or hotel.

Small garbage bag for plane so you don’t have to wait to have your tray cleared.

Airline sick bag for pocket/handbag in an emergency.

Stolen credit cards/money/computer-go to local police & file a report –keep a copy for your Company.

When calling Citibank to report credit card stolen/lost & “ask for emergency cash at the time of the call to Citibank, as they will not provide emergency cash later”.

War-torn countries- Updated will, Living-will in case you partially survive trip.

3-weeks before trip -Contact your Company’s Security office to arrange for armed security & provide recent photo ahead of time (Pakistan, Iraq, Yemen), & notify the Embassy/Consulate.

Carry a Crocodile Dundee knife in CHECKED baggage; for an adventure.

Safety Suggestions
    Do not leave messages on phone, computer, or desk saying where you are; just state that you are out of the office and who to contact.

When onboard the airplane, count the number of seats to your assigned seat, do this so you will know the distance to an Exit, in case the cabin is filled with smoke and you need to crawl out.

Keep passport on you whilst traveling, leave in hotel safe whilst in-country.

Carry a copy of passport & pictures, may be recreated at Embassy/Consulate if needed.

Divide money & credit cards up, do not keep in one location on you or in hotel.

Carry a card with personal info, (inc medical info) & local contact names & numbers-keep card separate from wallet/purse.

At the Hotel: Test your hotel fire escape route- know the location and distance to two exits and note any obstacles such as ice machines, chairs, tables, etc along the exit route. Walk the full route, checking for locked doors, etc. Count the doorways to the exit from your room.

Keep your money/keys in the same place in the hotel room.

Leave the lights/television on when out of room & the do-not-disturb sign up.

Let companions know where you are going, avoid going alone, alter habits.

Stay calm and polite but firm when confronted by dangerous people & then run.

colakyngo
    Participant

Hi,

Good ideal, pls try to keep posting. I like this topic very much and I will digged this one. Tks again.

If you want to get more materials that related to this topic, you can visit: http://restaurantbusiness.info/restaurant-business-checklist/

Best regards.

mardy123
    Participant

Many of these tips were learned the hard-way. Glad you liked them.

craigwatson
    Participant

I wonder if im the only one, but I think this going way over the top

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Craig, totally agree with you, absolutely over the top and stupid ……………………. unless of course you have ever suffered from any on the list.

I am not going to embaress myself by mentioning which 8 items on the list I have suffered from as a consequence of not following the advice.

VintageKrug
    Participant

A great thread. Would make a piece in BT along the lines of the “100 things” articles..

Superhydrate before you fly – at least 3-4 litres of water in the 24 hours prior to a longhaul.

Match every alcoholic drink with a glass of water.

A spoonful of olive oil pre-flight keep things flowing downstairs on landing.

Dust is a problem inside aircraft; it can invade your ear canal and make your ears bung up. Use Otex or other wax clearer monthly to ensure no unpleasant ear effects downroute.

If you get bunged up easily, use a nasal spray to open up your breathing and avoid an uncomfortable flight.

Use plenty of eyedrops in flight.

Always keep a handwritten list of key telephone numbers separate from your phone.

If flying longhaul take a change of underwear and a clean, lightweight shirt for delays in handbaggage.

NEVER pack all your money/medicines/phones in your checked luggage in case of delay

Always label your luggage inside and out; doing so will ensure your bags are never permanently lost.

Ensure the baggage tags are properly attached at check in by the agent, and to your expected destination (most especially on single PNR indirect flights); be absolutely clear when you will next be expected to collect your checked baggage.

Buy travel shoes which don’t have metal strips in the sole (a surprising amount do!)

Never fly without a mini talc!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I admit the worst one of all was the 00.20 departure, where I turned up 24 hours late. I know plenty of people have done the same. Travel tip, my diary clearly state which day I go to the airport and which day I fly!

The second worst one was not checking which passport i had in my jacket resulting in presenting my spare passport at Heathrow, which at the time, had no ESTA.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“3-weeks before trip -Contact your Company’s Security office to arrange for armed security & provide recent photo ahead of time (Pakistan, Iraq, Yemen), & notify the Embassy/Consulate.”

I recommend this for trips to Bradford, too.

“Carry a Crocodile Dundee knife in CHECKED baggage; for an adventure. “

Many prefer a Gurkha kukri, but remember, if unsheathed, it must draw blood, before re-sheathing.

Yes, Craig, totally over the top, many items on this list.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Exactly what issues have you had in Bradford DoS that gives sufficient cause for you to recommend an amred guard and need for security services.

Bradford has a delightful film festival as well as a tremendous mix of cultures, colours, foods and spices.

I spend quite a bit of time in the town, both business and pleasure. Its
    a change to be in a town where your wallet doesnt get raped and pillaged like it does in London. There are plenty of decent locations in and around that even Mrs DoS and you would enjoy.

I presume though its a bit of a contrast to Swieqi!!!

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Martyn

Let’s start with being told I wasn’t welcome in part of town, because I was not of a certain religion.

Charming.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Disgusted

Felt the same way when I tried to order kosher food on a middle eastern airline and then went in search of a synagogue in Riyadh. Daft I know, but shows this is not endemic to Bradford.

Riyadh needed more than an amred guard to protect me, took a troop of SAS soldiers.

All good travel experience!

Have a great day DoS

Martyn

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Martyn

Did you really try to find a synagogue in Riyadh? I wish I’d been there to see that 🙂

Swieqi is certainly different to Bradford, this is a typical street.

http://www.malta4you.ch/assets/images/Swieqi.jpg

Great day to you, too.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Wherever I travel, I make sure my hosts, in politically sensitive countries are aware of my religion. Some people feel it is unecerssary, I am just after a peacful life and if it is made clear I am unwelcome, I stay away. This has only happened once in 28 years, and it was not in Bradford!!

I often walk around towns (esepcially old towns) looking for signs of Jewish history. The most obvious signs are on old door frames. A Jewish house generally has a small box called a mezuzah on the door frame (right hand side as you enter). Walking around old towns, you can sometimes see marks on door frames where clearly a mezuzah was once fixed, but later removed,indicating signs a Jewish history.

I see this often in Middle East cities and more recently in Portugal, outside of Lisbon.

Most Middle Eastern countries I visit, my religion is accepted and treated with courtesy. I learn about any high holidays and religious practises relevant to the time of year. This is a respect issue and is very much appreciated by my host. People say religion and politics should never be discussed. I have had some memorable evenings, discussing in a respectful way both subjects, with people whom I would least expect to want to discuss. All interesting and is one of the enjoyable parts about travel and a good tip, to learn about where you are going.

RichHI1
    Participant

I think you overrate the problems in Bradford, though I did find a phrase book helpful.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls