Travel Checklist & Tips

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Don’t forget your DropStop, the most amazing invention.

Alriiiight + 1

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ VintageKrug – 29/05/2013 17:23 GMT

I’ve been wondering about some of your recent postings.

You’re not a product tester for one of those catalogues that come with Radio Times offering multiple versions of incontinence pads, self-reclining chairs, non-Stannah stair lifts plus thousands of other devices that you never realised that you needed before seeing them advertised in the catalogue…?

Only asking…. 🙂

Thinking about the thread, my contribution would be a Makita battery powered drill and drill set [NB: other brands are available]. You simply never know when you might be called upon to install an entire Olympic sponsorship exhibition in central Asia when the local installers either don’t show up and/or haven’t got a clue about what is required… Snr Management most impressed.

canucklad
    Participant

Pack the wife !!….or if you are the wife leave the husband!!

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Plastic corkscrews come bottle openers are available at Marriott hotels and Kempinski hotels. There for the taking, although I obviously bought mine:-)
    Interestingly, or worryingly, I was stopped at BHX a few weeks ago and the lady security agent told me that I had a corkscrew in my carry on. “Yes,it’s a plastic one” I replied. “oh no it isn’t……went on jovially then she produced a metal corkscrew from my carry on. I was dumbfounded until my present wife quietly said I put it in when we went to London. Between that date and BHX my carry on had been through:
    ORY
    LIS
    LIS
    MUC
    FRA
    FAO
    LIS
    LGW
    FAO
    FAO
    FRA

Without being detected

capetonianm
    Participant

I had a Swiss Army Knife. It disappeared on one of my trips and I thought no more of it, until a year or so later when a security official at ZRH told me he wanted to examine my bag because there was a knife in it.. After a thorough search he found the knife in the lining at the bottom where it must have been all that time. During that time the bag had been through all of the following airports, several times in some cases, without detection :
    CPT/JNB/AMS/DUB/NYC/BOG/BUE/MIA/PDX/MAD/LIS/FAO/LGW/LTN/LHR/WAW/SVO/BFS/GLA/EDI/NBO/BKK/DEL/BOM/KTM/MUC/FRA and probably others I can’t remember. A bit scary, showing up ‘security’ as the mindless pointless farce that it is.

Edit : Also, YYZ, YVR, BCN, KUL, HEL, and MNL.

You rascal capetonianm!

A_delyn
    Participant

Great list, thanks a lot.

ChristyJM
    Participant

Excellent list originally in the magazine. Most of it made my smile as a lot was on my list and its amazing how much us humans have in common. Some vital things that I would add though:

In the first instance print off all your travel arrangements (cars, flights, trains, hotels etc). Add you Credit Card copy & Passport copy and obviously your indispensible list so you can tick everything off as you fill you travel case. Put a hard front and back on it and this will travel with you on all trips.

I would also advocate in addition to that brilliant list in the magazine:

Visa (although you should have checked this and its now in your PP…)
    Contact details of other people on your trip or meeting you
    Out of Office greeting active
    I bring one universal adaptor and USB connections for everything else so it can used as the charger or use my laptop as the charger.
    In addition to foreign currency relevant to whatever country you are visiting, always bring some USD and over a range of denominations. Bring smaller denominates of whatever currency for tipping. You will feel bullied/obliged/begrudged into tipping and you don’t want to do it with a USD50 bill!
    Put a bottle of bug repellent in your bag. 50% of the time you will be delighted you have it.
    Always ensure you have dioralyte; although seasoned travellers tend not to need this from my experience as we have cast iron stomachs…
    A door wedge is the best security device you can bring as it will alert you if some one is kicking down your door; as opposed to them easily copying the door keycard and letting themselves in…

Dependent on where you are going/doing also consider: cuff links, sunglasses, hat (for those of us not necessarily replete with a shagpile of follicles), flip flops, airplane ear phone jock if you use your own ear phones, Gym gear.

From the original list I’d scratch the Shoe trees and horn, plasters (you can get these in the hotel), Batteries?(aren’t all these in your assorted electronic bits anyway?) and finally wet wipes (thats a level of paranoia I really don’t want to degenerate to).

p.s. I smiled most at the magazine item 13:Plastic Bags. Never underestimate the usefulness of plastic bags when travelling but don’t forget that laundry plastic bags will do swimmingly. Vital kit indeed!

Swissdiver
    Participant

FDoS,

Back to your 06/10/2011 11:10 GMT message, a couple of notes.

The Ottoman Empire was at pretty much all time very open to other religions. It is a place where Jewish communities felt safe in general. Interestingly, Turkey was lately still a country close to Israel (it changed with Erdogan and with Tsahal attack on that Turkish boats a few years ago).

Jesus is in the Muslim religion seen as a major prophet, sent by God, along with Moses and Abraham. So for that mall, no harm while probably trying to attract Christian expats…

Swissdiver
    Participant

Back to the core topic, unless I am mistaken, no one mentioned antibiotics. I always carry a large spectrum one (Zytromax) and when going to some countries, a more focussed one on food and water related issues. Depending on the situation, I call my doctor or not before starting the treatment.

I never travel without my Speedo swimwear for a welcome dip in the ocean and/or swimming pool + moisturiser for my arms on long flights + mini kettle + detailed city map.

Top marks ChristyJM for remembering cuff links and fly spray.

Swissdiver
    Participant

A pair of cuff links and of whalebones are in my toilet bag at all time (only way I found to never forget them :-)). And, yes, definitively a swimsuit, just in case!

sammaristela
    Participant

These are my travel essentials posted on my blog, The Loco-in-motion: http://thelocoinmotion.com/2013/12/12/luggage-peep-my-travel-essentials/

sammaristela
    Participant

These are my travel essentials posted on my blog, The Loco-in-motion: http://thelocoinmotion.com/2013/12/12/luggage-peep-my-travel-essentials/

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls