Travel Checklist & Tips

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)

• DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Martyn

I have had some interesting discussions with my clients in KSA about religion. What I find constantly surprising is their depth of knowledge of the major religions.

When I first went there I was told not to discuss religion, but found this is not really possible, as it is such a core part of their lives. Like you, I ask about religious holidays and also cultural events.

It is surprising how much islam and christianity share, despite some major differences. One of the shopping centres in Riyadh put up signs a few years ago, in December, saying ‘We love Jesus, too’, although I never did discover the reason for that.

I went to a camel fair once and it was absolutely fascinating to see the variations in the camels, especially as there were thousands in the town.

Also went lizard hunting, once again a very different experience, though the lizard tail (Dabb) was not my idea of a delicacy (perhaps it is an acquired taste.)

Although I do not know too much about Judaism, I am aware that it’s history can be found across the middle east and also Europe. I’ve also seem a mosque, a chapel and a synagogue in close proximity in Istanbul, which pretty much shows that religions can co-exist, if the will is there.

RichHI1
    Participant

I follow my own religious beliefs as a brand of Christianity but was brought up to be pluralistic and cultural embracing to other religions. I find travel really does Broaden the mind and I found the Jewish areas in Latin America, particuarly, Argentina, Brazil and the district of Polanco in Mexico City fascinating, particularly the history. Even more so for me was the cultural mix in the Chinese Mosque in Xian combining the Islamic requirements with Chinese culture and caligraphy. Xian is also interesting for the story of Buddhism and the journey to India and back.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I’ve also seem a mosque, a chapel and a synagogue in close proximity in Istanbul, which pretty much shows that religions can co-exist, if the will is there.

Plus the fact you can go t a place like Saudi and openly talk about Judaism, albeit in a Commercial environement, proves the point.

DoS, the best words you have printed IMHO,

“IF THE WILL IS THERE”

excellent!

Swissdiver
    Participant

First, on the check list. I tend to agree with Craig. We need common sense and some experience, but can do without Crocodile Dundee’s knife!

Regarding religion, I think educated people tend to be in general open and even ready to discuss the differences. At the end of the day, we all share the same God, don’t we? Now I would not go to, say Abuja or Islamabad, with a T-shirt claiming in big I am a Christian!

Finally, what is the point with Bradford?

stevescoots
    Participant

there is not point to Bradford 🙂

mardy123
    Participant

great tips indeed. thanks

westalan80
    Participant

Keep photocopies of your passport, id cards and other important travel documents

handbag
    Participant

Take more than one credit card with you and keep one in the hotel safe with balance of cash you are unlikely to need that day.

If your wallet goes missing, you still have a card and cash to use for the rest of trip and haven’t lost everything.

Aladam888
    Participant

Dont forget to keep emergency cash on hand while travelling. And dont over rely on electronic cards!

VintageKrug
    Participant

I have added:

A pen (those annoying landing cards still require quills, it appears)

Eyemask (for hotel rooms with LEDs everywhere)

capetonianm
    Participant

Sellotape, brown packing tape, cable ties, string. All have served me well for various emergency repairs or reminders to hotel staff to replenish supplies, etc.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I feel certain some wag will come along in a moment to ask if you work for BA Engineering,capetonian…..so I’ll get in there first!

JohnHarper
    Participant

I’d be more interested in why Krug is thread bumping again. It really is tiresome.

A corkscrew and a bottle opener. Have you ever seen someone opening a bottle with their teeth? In Brazil I witnessed this and was most impressed.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Are corkscrews allowed through security?

Would have been handy on my first BA1 flight, where no corkscrew had been loaded; imagine my horror when we had to make do with champagne.

I have a rather natty CorkPops device which I swear by:

http://www.corkpops.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=12240&Category_Code=001&Product_Count=1

…and I never go out on the boat without my Rick Fanning Reef flip flops which incorporate a bottle opener!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XXxCFGYnJg

“Alriiiight” (!)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls