Top 10 LOVED airports in the world

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

• Henryp1
    Participant

But it does apply to premium passengers who have a 1st class ticket. There does need to be differences of what is on offer in relation to the ticket purchased.

Binman62
    Participant

LPPSKrisflyer……top 10 BKK at no 5……?? But no SEL or KIX. Interesting view.

Agree with the poster re DPS for quirkiness. First time I arrived the power went off and everyone just sat on the floor in immigration and waited, very patiently, for it to come back on.

T5 is pretty good but only if you have access to a lounge, ideally the Concorde Room and the operation is running smoothly.

Disgusted………BA would agree with you about premium passengers having direct access to the lounge but their landlords have a very different view. I am aware that BA paid a substantial sum for that door and that was a considerable compromise from the direct access they had requested from First Check in to lounge via a private security channel.

canucklad
    Participant

Actually remembered another Gem of an Airport for efficiency and quirkiness and representing it’s countries “Brand” to the core is Alice Springs in Oz……..

Small friendly and very Australian…….

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Binman62 I’ve never been to SEL or KIX!

There are other places that have created excellent impressions but I thought it only fair to rate from the places I go regularly.

I also take Henry’s point and of course much depends on the class of your ticket, if I was not in F or occasionally C I might have a very different view of BKK and one or two other places.

At LHR I mostly use T3, I honestly preferred T2!

canucklad
    Participant

Taking Krisflyers and Henry’s point on is why YVR scores highly with me….

Arriving on a flight in AC’s Exec Class you’re through the formalities pretty damn quick….Arriving Economy and you’re through pretty damn quick…difference being you just have to wait a little longer to depart the aircraft…..And the International arrivals Hall is a ” Breath of fresh air” Friendly staff and relaxing surroundings with waterfalls and totem poles

A proper hospitable welcome to Canada

Departing I sometimes don’t even bother with the lounge and head to the sports bar for a final pint od Canadian beer

Finally the best ever and least known quirkiest uniquest terminal in probably the “western world ” at least can be found at YVR

On the south river the float planes depart to Victoria from a pub called the ” Flying Beaver”

No doubt, AMSTERDAM SCHIPHOL. One of a kind, simply the best. Also like ICN, HKG, BCN, ZRH, SLL, MNL, CGK.

Binman62
    Participant

I have not been in AMS for probably 15-20 years but was last weekend and OMG what an awful airport. The distances to walk on arrival and departure are simply huge.

I was struck by the sprawling nature of the place and the very old and shabby condition of the terminal generally. The walk from check in to the BA lounge seemed to go forever but it was the walk to the gate for departure that caught me out.

When my flight was called in the lounge 40 minutes prior to departure I scoffed and waited till approached by the tame lounge dragon. Off I went in search of the distant land and noted en route that the board was showing an 11 minute walk!!! Then I remembered the arrival and the apparent unending walk to arrival and the car hire facility.

Overall I cam away thinking that AMS is just another old and tired European airport and a reminder of just how good T5 is…….

The flight was called in the rather disappointing BA lounge 40 minutes before departure and we left on time for a 45 minute flight across the North Sea but on arrival sat on the ground at LHR for 20 minutes waiting for gate……. Some things never change…………

Can’t say I can see what the all the fuss is about Schipol.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Binman

AMS used to be my favourite airport in Europe, but that was a looong time ago.

The original design worked well, with short piers from a central hub, but these days the walks are very long… not as bad as DXB T3, if you get a T1 gate (advised as 26 minutes), but nonetheless not pleasant.

It’s high on my ‘avoid list’, these days.

Added to which , the taxi to the Polder runway can be irritatingly long.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Lafayette65
    Participant

Hands down the best airport in Europe is Munich ! One of the few places where your luggage beats you to the pickup area.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Binman, SEL is Gimpo. Do you mean ICN?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Mine would be:
    ZRH
    LCY
    AMS
    CPT
    DOH
    SIN
    LUG
    LIS
    JFK (for departures)
    FRA (for its F Lounges) when you can find them;-)

blondcat
    Participant

@ PJordan – I love Orlando airport too, but only because I know on the other side is the mouse, universal & other super fun things. I used to hate the whole thing of having to reclaim your bag twice but I don’t think you have to do this anymore at least. I think the shared lounge is a bit mediocre (for the departure leg).

Honestly my fave airport ever is London Heathrow. The lounges are wonderful – especially Virgin clubhouse and BA and the shopping is great too. Always seems to be really quick getting out of the airport too.

And as for Schiphol, the only thing I remember about that is running through the airport whilst dressed as Cheetara from Thundercats (hen weekend – with 10 girlfriends) trying to catch a plane home. We made it with about 1 second to spare!

begerrity
    Participant

my favorite 10 airports in the world:1-Wrangell,Alaska 2-Sitka, Alaska 3-Juneau,Alaska 4-Kona, Hawaii 5-DTW,6-Zurich,Switerland7-LAX 8-SFO 9-SEA 10-Denver

canucklad
    Participant

its good to see some small Alaskan airports make it…..slightly warmer and brilliantly small and friendly is /was Malindi ,on the Kenyan coast……the KQ Fokker was boarded by individual seat numbers….surprisingly quick and efficient….take note Ryanair and Easyjet!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls