Top 10 LOVED airports in the world

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

• Anonymous

MartynSinclair
    Participant

http://www.cnngo.com/explorations/life/10-most-loved-airports-981939

to balance the discussion, one thread for the good and one for the bad.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Not sure why everyone wants to talk about the most hated. Here my most LOVED:

Chep Lap Kok -Hong Kong

LONDON HEATHROW!!!!!

yes you read right if it wasnt such a quirkie place half of this forum wouldnt exist. It one of the more exciting places to because anthing can happen xxx

KeaneJohn
    Participant

I have to say my favourite airport is London City because I can leave home approximately 60 minutes before departure and still have 20 mins to spare before the gate closes. Returning, I am usually walking in the door even with hold luggage within about 25 minutes of touchdown.

PatJordan
    Participant

I quite like Orlando International: good range of shops, restaurants, and plenty of comfy seats.

Amsterdam Schipol is a pleasant airport too.

RichHI1
    Participant

SNA, small quick, clean efficient. Unfortunately runway length makes direct UK flights impossible. UA (CO) do fly to HNL though. I have connected through DFW and ORD when going to Orange County. No LAX sprawl, walk to rental car indoors and no hours on San Diego freeway in peak hours.

ConstantFlyer1
    Participant

OK. Here are my top ten and why I like them (in no particular order). All in Europe, as that’s where I tend to work most:

Odessa – small, quirky, and appealingly post-Soviet
    Alderney – basically like flying from someone’s back garden shed
    Southampton – no pretentions (no style or sophistication either, though)
    Leeds/Bradford – neither too busy to care (like many British airports) or too empty to be desperate (like most of the rest)
    Isle of Man – just all-round pleasant to travel through
    Amsterdam Schiphol – the least unpleasant of the major European hubs
    London Gatwick – full of surprises: a lot of the new facilities are actually quite nice
    Budapest – I love the old terminal and the restaurant does a great goulash, but the new terminal is cool too
    Tallinn – Smooth, easy and comfortable
    Vienna – Big but user-friendly

When I die, if I go to heaven, these are the features of the airport I’d expect to find there:

– Arrival by integrated public transport system to front door
    – Angels on hand to welcome and assist
    – Short walk to check-in/baggage drop
    – No need for airport security
    – Excellent food
    – No shops
    – Indoor aviation viewing terrace with chaises longues
    – Option to walk outside along pier-top viewing terraces to smell aviation fuel
    – Very few other passengers
    – Frequent departures to destinations of dreams aboard carriages of delight, such as A318, E190, Viscount, Tu-134A, etc.
    – Short walk across tarmac to aircraft steps
    – Sun always shines (but not too hot)
    – On arrival, personal angel greeting and guide through immigration (St Peter)
    – No baggage to collect (you can’t take it with you!)
    – Out of the airport and home in ten minutes for a nice cup of tea

Henryp1
    Participant

We prefer and like T5 at LHR.

Once through security turn right and into the lounge without having to go through the shops and cafes etc.

CMB if flying UL as lounge access quick with an acceptable offering.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“Once through security turn right and into the lounge without having to go through the shops and cafes etc.”

Assuming you mean the south lounge, unfortunately it is not really fair comment in a general context, as it does not apply to all premium pax (disgracefully, IMHO.)

GSE in Gothenburg is great, literally 20m from the baggage reclaim to the taxi rank (with a coordinated shuttle bus) and three flights a day.

Not too much slot congestion 🙂

LeTigre
    Participant

I really liked Hamburg (HAM) on both times travelling through it. It is a lovely spacious glass and steel affair and they actually have a pre-security runway viewing terrace! Shame there were no A380s…

Bullfrog
    Participant

I have no problem with Heathrow for arrivals & departures, but can understand why connections may be harder unless from the same terminal.

London City – every distance is short; check in, security, gate & taxiing & all with small passenger numbers on board.

Fort Lauderdale – very well laid out and easy to use.

Southampton – simple and efficient. London’s 5th airport.

canucklad
    Participant

Best for International Arrivals…………..Vancouver

Best for transisting……………..Amsterdam

Best for Food and Bars………..Probably Amsterdam or Hong Kong

Best for Quirkiness…………Galway or Bali (based on the Mongrel Dog chasing my 747 taxing to gate)

Best for Bus Transfers./Plane Spotting ………Paris

Best for City Centre to Airport…AMS/YVR & HKG by a mile

Best named………Belfast City

Danwolf
    Participant

The best airport I’ve ever gone through still has to be Koh Samui, such a contrast from busy hub airports.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

My top ten:

1. SIN
    2. HKG
    3. SYD
    4. MUC
    5. BKK
    6. KUL
    7. AMS
    8. BNE
    9. TXL
    10. YVR

Bottom 10:

10. SGN
    9. FCO
    8. BRU
    7. TLV
    6. FCO
    5. MAD
    4. JFK
    3. LAX
    2. LHR (I regard it as a whole, not single terminals)
    1. CDG

Way off the bottom of the scale and in a different league altogether: LOS.

Scandinavian
    Participant

For the overall experience Copenhagen.

Oslo is better designed and more user-friendly but Copenhagen wins on atmosphere.

Munich is the best major long-haul connection hub in Europe. Zurich a close second, but not always good for short connections.

Montevideo in Uruguay is fantastic. Otherwise Lima and Santiago De Chile are a head above their South American counterparts. Aeroparque in BA is chaotic but has a wonderful Argentinian atmosphere.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls