Top 10 HATED airports in the world

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

On a serious note……………….It would appear that one of the main factors on how an airport is judged must be the carrier that you are using in relation to their relationship with the specific airport

An example of this is AF at CDG…..I always now ensure that if i’m transiting I give at least 3 hours to connect…..Trouble is when we do park at the terminal on arrival you’re through into a departure lounge of vast soulless emptiness ………. Fly into & out off the other terminal with Paris as the final destination then everything is fine

BA & BMI / Aer Lingus at LHR same thing… flying to Ireland from T! is a joke after you pass the photo room

And as mentioned earlier certain US airports ………..no more need’s to be said

As oppossed to HKG / AMS & YVR etc regardless of the carrier it ‘s pretty much a consistently good experiance

maxgeorge
    Participant

TBIT at LAX is actually the model of a modern major terminal – it’s the mobs of our bewildered chums who fly in from sunny and distant lands, simultaneously, it always seems, with BA’s arrivals, that make it a weary world of delays and confusion.

Departures are usually smooth enough, and the OneWorld lounge is a well organised oasis of peace. BA’s staff at LAX are particularly obliging, and PLEASE NOTE BA, take pains to filter out the non-entitled from the premium security and boarding lines.

cf some of those jobsworths at LHR.

Fly in on AA or with the EnnZedders, and you use T3 or T5, which are usually hassle free.

As I have mentioned before, consider domestic connections to SNA, BUR, ONT or LGB. Much more congenial than LAX, and, in the case of LGB, just as easy to drive to downtown LA.

Burbank has train service to LA Union station within walking distance of the terminal.

A new terminal has just opened at SNA (Orange County, about an hour south of LAX), with ICE facilities, so AirTran/Southwest will soon be offering flights to Mexico.

Another option is BA to SAN. Tried it recently. Well pleased.

As for the worst airport, I imagine it would have to be Lagos.
    Don’t know meself – I don’t do West Africa.

PatJordan
    Participant

Have to disagree somewhat with canucklad about LHR T1.

The terminal has been greatly improved over the past couple of years.

Best suggestion is to use Aer Lingus, and it you’re not in their Gold Circle programme, you can access their lounge for around £20. It’s right beside the departure gates, and a great place to rest after the long trek from security!

Pat

canucklad
    Participant

I would agree with you Pat , if i was a member of the Gold Circle club or willing tp pay £20 for less than an hours visit…….

Mind I suppose …………how many pints of the Black stuff can you drink in an hour……

Goes back to my post about carrier v airport……..my normal commute is LHR to EDI with BD….their lounge is right next to Gate 8 …….Perfect for Edinburgh not so good for my jaunts to the Emerald Isle

My companies travel policy in recent years has meant that accruing and maintaining Status miles ( Lounge Access) is becoming increasingly difficult…….. which means that at some point in the future I will have to clear security then photo madness and then into a barren waste land ( no where to get a much deserved refreshment) because BAA I presume want to keep “us consumers” in the main “shopping District” as long as possible

AND AS FAR AWAY FROM THE GATES AS CAN BE

Compare that to T5 where there is a bar right next to the domestic gates………..

PatJordan
    Participant

Agree about BD lounge, canucklad. Lovely lounge, but a long way to departure gates to Dublin.

Occasionally BD use gate 8 for Dublin….that’s a nice bonus, but all to rare.

Incidentally the Gold Circle lounge does decent soup and sandwiches which makes the £20 not that bad, particularly when you factor in the cost of a snack in T1.

canucklad
    Participant

Decent soup and sandwiches will definately sway my decision. especially heading to Ireland for a weekend …….you never mentioned the relaxing I” I’ve worked my proverbial off ” all week and now it’s time to switch off for the weekend………….amenities !!!!

PatJordan
    Participant

give it a try caucklad. I’ve used the EI Lounge and its not bad at all.

Enjoy Ireland…

hwerner
    Participant

I go thru FRA often. I think the airport is o.k. I think they should make arrangements for passenmgers arriving from the US and connecting not to go thru security twice. The worst airport for me is Charles de Gaulle. I try to avaoid it.
    Passport control can take over one hour.

hwerner
    Participant

I agree. I tavel frequently to Europe. I try to avoid CDG at all costs. Long lines theu their passport control. Long distance walking. Lost bags, unfriendly staff.
    Also Air France service has deteriorated (business class).
    Very bad overall impression.
    HWK

hwerner
    Participant

I agree that Betrlin Tegel is a mess. Tegel was never planned to be a major airport. It was build for the French Sector. There is more trafic than this airport can handle.
    However, Berlin is building a new, modern airport at Schoenefeld.
    HWK

RBrown9
    Participant

My personal dislike list:

– JKIA (Nairobi) – horrible business class lounge.
    – Riyadh – prepare to wait forever at passport control unless you are very lucky.
    – Dubai International – overcrowded (terminal 3). Very annoying if you are flying on Emirates, find your arrival and connecting gates are in T1. Only problem is the transfer facilities for EK are in T3.
    – Glasgow International – at least the international part is not impressive.
    – JFK

I have to agree with others that Heathrow T1 has improved significantly over the past couple of years.

canucklad
    Participant

Schoenefeld will be good when it opens as “Brandenburg”

The last time I used it was interesting…Goes back to my earlier post of the airlines relationship..Flew with Easyjet and we ended up in a small room ( Heat of Summer) downstairs waiting for departure ( AND AIRCRAFT TO ARRIVE) with inadequate seating etc… One of the worst airport experiances I’ve endured

Did think the Outside Bratwurst & Beer stand at the end of the tunneled walkway from the metro was cool though

TiredOldHack
    Participant

I was pleased to see CDG and Sao Paulo on the list – confirming my own experiences 🙂

Daytripper
    Participant

By a country mile, the so-called “London” Luton.

It’s a needs-must airport, to be avoided unless there is absolutely no other convenient flight/airport alternative. They charge you for everything, from pulling outside the terminal up, to baggage trolleys. It’s over-crowded, full of the blandest shops imaginable, has a second-rate business lounge, and the security queues are always ridiculous (unless you pay for fast-track.)

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls