Top 10 HATED airports in the world

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)

• Anonymous

MartynSinclair
    Participant

jetlagged
    Participant

How can any such list be compiled without including Atlanta Hartsfield Jackson, less an airport, and more cruel and unusual punishment for the travelling public. Queue up for over an hour to get through immigration, then go through customs, then recheck your bags, then go through security again just so you can get on the poxy train thing back to yet another baggage carousel to get your bag back. Last time took me three hours from plane door to cab rank (and I was in club – pity the poor sods at the back). There won’t be a next time.

Scandinavian
    Participant

Dublin Airport before the opening of T2 was probably the worst in the European Union. T2 improves the overall experience somewhat but it is still sub-standard compared to the best airports in Europe.

Economy terminal at Doha is also appalling from start to finish. This will naturally improve with the opening of the new Doha airport.

T5 and T4 save LHR (thank god they are removing the horrible carpets at LHR) but I think CDG is overall a nicer airport to use than LHR.

esselle
    Participant

Liverpool is in my view the worst airport in the UK; not one single redeeming feature. Gobby security staff, one staircase less that two metres wide to get down to passport control, broken locks on the toilets.

RoadKing
    Participant

How Frankfurt could not be on that list is beyond my comprehension.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I’ve enjoyed my experiences at FRA (always FCT, which is superb).

Doha was comedically Third World; a massive squash to get into the terminal, and a memorably comical wheelbarrow wrapped in tape being checked in.

Liverpool is best avoided, though the old airport (since a Marriott, now a CP) was rather quaint.

Atlanta is a dream.

T5 and (now) T4 are superb, and T2 will soon be similarly splendid; that should generate capacity for T3 to get sorted; it can’t come soon enough.

One should remember that it’s likely that the busiest airports will get the most comment – good or bad – and so are likely almost by dint of their success and “popularity” to come top of the list.

Manila isn’t that bad. I actually like it. Something old isn’t necessarily something bad. What about Accra, Delhi, Cairo, Kuwait, Tel Aviv, Toulouse, Cardiff, Durham Tees Valley, Aberdeen and Humberside?

azidane
    Participant

From my personal experience the worst airport by far was KRT (Khartoum, Sudan) Was flying BMi from and to London and the arrival process was not too bad (took about 45mins with collecting a visa waiting for me) on the way back to London, the airport was hit by a powercut 5 times in a 3hr period, and everytime this happened the check in computers would crash as they did not have UPS, so what with queuing for approx 1hr to get into the terminal, the check in process in total took nearly 2 1/2hrs and was told this is not something unusual at KRT.

With regards to CAI, it does have its problems, but I regularly (I have passed through CAI 9 times this year) find myself in a cab within an hour of landing, but they really must improve signage at immigration as no one tells you as a tourist you need to buy your tourist visa at one of the bank counters before approaching the immigration counter, so some people will queue for abt 25-30mins to then have to go and buy a visa, the shopping is pretty poor as are the lounges, but it generally works.

olliewb
    Participant

Glad to see that Kenyatta International, Nairobi, Kenya is on the list, never again! The business lounge was a joke!

PatJordan
    Participant

Not surprisingly, Paris CDG made it to the list.

My abiding memory of CDG T1 was one evening last year…huge queue at pre-departure passport control, staff deeply engrossed in their mobile phones….I could go on.

Pat.

LeTigre
    Participant

I went through BVC airport recently (Cape Verde Islands- Boa Vista) and found it completely useless. I was on a package holiday, so a long Thomson flight back was what I had to look forward to. Although I generally object to package holidays, Boa Vista, with lovely beaches and Africa’s biggest hotel (All Inclusive) was very relaxing.

Check-in and ground staff are all generic and helpless. There are two small bars, one landside, one airside selling crisps and home-made gone-off sandwiches. There is a pizzeria, but the staff don’t open it, even around lunch/dinner. Security is one small machine and a huge queue. What’s worst is that the runway is surrounded by (relatively small) mountains that mean with the slightest wind, the pilot cannot take-off with enough fuel so we had to stop at Tenerife on the way back!

RichHI1
    Participant

Lax TBIT, Lisbon, Sao Paulo GRU, Mexico City T1, LHR (for delays).

VintageKrug
    Participant

TBIT’s a hellhole; we can agree on that.

RichHI1
    Participant

I know BA loyalists like the excellent service on bA to LAX and the 747’s are great but the difference between CBp on AA and bA is night and day. Unfortunately flying out there are no decent shops or catering in AA terminal at LAX. Still better than TBIT though. Delta terminal at JFK sucks too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls