Tips for making your petrol go further

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

Not all business travel is by plane or train; sometimes the only way to get where you need to go is by car.

From 2011, the per mile amount rose from 40p to 45p:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/travel.htm

…which went some way to offset rising fuel costs. But with prices at the pumps relentlessly rising, what can you do to reduce your consumption?

Petrol is around £1.40/litre at present with another 3.8p being added in August. It won’t be long ebfore we see £1.50/litre at the pumps, and it’s in everyone’s best interest to become more efficient.

Driving style seems to be the most effective tool, but there is a range of other actions which can be taken to increase the miles you can cover on a full tank.

Have you done anything to make your car or driving habits more economical?

SpeedDog
    Participant

Just reducing your driving speed (say 100 km/h rather than 120, 130 or higher) can have a significant impact on fuel consumption.

http://www.petrolprices.com (for the UK) gives the cheapest petrol prices within a defined area.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I was in the middle of writing a new topic along these lines as Mrs S is in the process of buying a new car.

I was determined to show the way, by opting for a Band A car, C02 emissions less than 100. Results in zero road tax, no congestion charge and an environmentally friendly car with better fuel consumption.

We have spent the last week looking around and am quite amazed by:

1. The car showrooms total lack of interest , most not knowing what we meant by Band A.

2. The cost of some Band A cars, up to £24,000+ which really negates the cost advantages of buying an environmentally friendly car

One solution we came up with was to keep the current cars we have (2) and buy a super mini for £6,000 and use that every day and keep the other 2 when needed.

Economy in cars is there, but the capital cost has increased.

As far as fueling up, is concerned, I tend to use the same principle as flying, in that fuel stored in the tank cost to lug around, so I tend to only fuel up above just above half way.

I guess its not really in the Governments interest to encourage a more economical approach to car travel because the more they encourage, the less they earn.

Redjohn
    Participant

excellent post!

Best practise is to drive no faster than 65 mph and to stick at that if you can, on motorways, keep the car clear of any heavy materials, so if your boot is full of junk, take it out. Only fill up the amount of fuel you need. So even though some imbecile in government tells you to full up, do not. Fuel weighs a fair amount so just fill with what you need.

Try to stick to motorways and at a steady pace, as we said, avoid heavy acceleration and braking, keep your windows closed for maximum aerodynamics and use your A/C sparingly.

Tyres should be kept at optimum pressure too, check them as often as possible (once a week or every two if you can).

Beyond that i don’t think you can do much more.

RichHI1
    Participant

My route to saving fuel is to combine trips wherever possible and asking muaelf do I really need to go? In the past I would be shuttling around at weekends rather than combining shopping trips and errands. It is amazing how many trips I can avoid. I simply ask myself if i had to take the bus or the train would I bother. Just because the car is pleasant and a nice place to be, i had previously made unnecessary journeys.

Aligned issue, i am getting more and more upset with UK car distributors. I have been looking to get a small SUV in UK and Jeep, BMW, Range Rover and many other manufacturers are only selling diesels in the smaller Models. Having had an ear infection years ago I cannot drive diesels As the vibration (smaller though it has become) makes me dizzy and nauseous. I know there is pressure to get better fuel usage from Diesel but why can I buy a petrol BmW X3 in Ireland, Germany even USA but not in UK. It is ridiculous.

SimonS1
    Participant

I believe the reason those cars are not sold in the UK is exchange rates.

With the £/€ exchange rate having fallen from more that 1.50 to almost 1:1 the financials don’t work as people here wouldn’t pay the price required when the euro import cost is translated into sterling.

RichHI1
    Participant

Probably right. So I keep what I have. Don’t save on petrol and tax. Jt then don’t spend the money. Also might not be greener on fuel but making new cars cannot be that green compared to making them last.

Redjohn
    Participant

The vast majority of CO2 emissions from the motor industry come at the point of manufacture, hence the Toyota Prius, for example is very CO2 heavy to build.

Best rule of thumb is use what you have until it doesn’t work any more. My 14 year old Mercedes shows no signs of deterioration after 167,000 miles, 47mpg, it uses no oil between services and is built to last. Rather like those old Land Rover Defenders.

But my best savings came from cutting my annual mileage to 7000 from 16,000 and using public transport more. It means I can’t do as many calls,. but i can work in between them which balances things out.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Good posts but I can’t agree with the filling up with just the petrol you need or halfway.

Even if there is a petrol station en-route, and no detour is needed, there is still the deceleration, waiting for the car in front to move off perhaps, stopping, re-starting the engine, moving forward, waiting to turn left or right and accelerating away. This far outweighs any weight savings you may make.

RichHI1
    Participant

During the Petrol crisis of the 1970’s I noticed how cultural differences emerged in the way countries reacted.

In the UK garages implemented a maximum of 2-4 gallons to spread it around, everyone queued up every day. The fuel was spread out. Ut the lines were horrendous as everyone topped up.

In California, garages implemented a minimim purchase (i think it was 10’or 15 gallons). As a result bery little topping up and shorter lines. I always found petrol so not sure if spread out less than UK.

I thnk topping up is a counter productive strategy and the Government ministers should be rebuked dor suggesting it. It bears all the hallmarks of policy made off the cuff with little thought or understanding of the issues. As for gerry cans… By all means warn motorists not to waste fuel and aak is my journey necessary but topping up wastes fuel as everyone sits in line with the motor running.

transtraxman
    Participant

I agree with “Redjohn”.
    There is no safer way to save fuel than using public transport.
    The UK dependence on the car is shocking, shameful and so often unnecessary.
    Public transport does so often provide a cheaper, more relaxing, more efficient alternative.

RichHI1
    Participant

Transtraxman you are right about urban areas but suburbs And rural areas Not so much. In the UK I am under 20 miles from LHR. By car it is about 35 minutes. By public transport it is 2 hours 25 minutes by 3 buses or 2 hours 10 minutes by 2 trains and underground. If I am not flying, I have to park for more han 2 hours for the car (inc petrol, depreciation and servicing aplit by annual mileage) for car to be dearer. Also if there are bags the public transport with the changing ia not fun. But then neither is the walk from the bus station or thw undergeound/hex station to T3.
    Unfortunately the train service plan to Waterloo is cancelled and the coach service was cancelled as carrier hit financial issues.
    Where there is public transport i use it (NRT, JFK, SFO, CDG, AMS, FRA etc)

Bucksnet
    Participant

To take so long to get to LHR from less than 20 miles away is ridiculous Rich. Where are you coming from?

MarcusUK
    Participant

I have just considered my new 3 year lease of a new car, with most of the manufacturers, viewing Honda, Mazda, and surprising to me, Vauxhall.
    i happened to see a very smart car, the Insignia on the road recently, and so went to test drive one.

Instead of buying, I have arranged a personal 3 year lease, which includes insurances, tax, servicing. I have also switched from Petrol to Diesel, though i have also elected for an Automatic.
    The fuel will go further, and i find Auto’s whist more consuming, there is a lesser burst of fuel injection when changing gear, as it is more consistent.
    Of course driving patterns matter, but in economic terms, the new lease, all inclusive costs and switching to diesel, and an auto for me make a huge difference.
    Many dealers will tell you as the models being developed or updated that “Super Mini” cars, and not the traditional business saloons, are the choice being made.

It is not the way we drive, but with what and how we enable it, more a fundamental re-consideration that is needed, in these current times.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls