Tips for making your petrol go further

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)

• RichHI1
    Participant

Surrey. Times (bus from TfL website, trains personal
    Experience in the past. There is also a rotuing via the
    woking – rail air route which is about 1 hour 50 minutes and adds about 20 miles to the trip. The problems are two fold, there are few routes that do not incolve going into london centre and back out and ghe cross country buses and trains have long connections.

Travellator
    Participant

just traded in the V12 Continental for the V8 – LOL !!!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Just go long oil, then the money you make will more than cover the extra you pay in fuel price increases.

watersz
    Participant

I think we should adopt at least one U.S pratice
    the ability to turn left (in our case ) at red lights

This was brought in during the seventies fuel crisis over there and would save the country some fuel and hopfully us .

LuganoPirate
    Participant

That’s a very good idea waterssz, and one that is practiced in many countries in Europe.

In Switzerland after midnight (sometimes earlier depending on local situation) the lights turn to flashing orange with priority for larger roads which are signposted with a yellow triangle within a white triangle. Intersecting roads have clear signs for drivers to give way.

This works very well and if implemented in the UK would also help to cut fuel consumption.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I believe that one of the reasons why turning left on red has been held back in the UK is due to safety issues for cyclists.

The exercise of buying Mrs S a new car has been interesting. The showrooms are still intent on pushing the gas guzzlers and there is no real incentive for buyers to purchase more economical in terms of fuel consumption, cars. Only one car salesman understood what a Band A car was without needing to ask a colleague.

I don’t think (but I may be wrong) that spending £15k on a super mini sized car, accounts for value for money.

In the US, I know that car mfg’s are incentivizing and educating the car users away from the thirsty V8 and 12’s. I am seeing more and more Fiat 500’s and Smart cars in the US and in the main they are far cheaper that their oppo’s in the UK.

In London my fuel costs have reduced, according to my expenses for my tax return, by around 22% (from the previous tax year). This is mainly due to using public transport and walking.

RichHI1
    Participant

Yes turning on red light would be great. I think a reason for non adoption has been cultural. The US has been used to 4 way stops and drivers in many places are cautious and polite – by big city standards excessively so. In the UK particularly the South East driving has traditionally been more aggressive, similar to parts of Europe. How many UK drivers actually stop at a stop sign (i.e. the car comes to a physical stop)? The fear is Uk drivers would not yield and stop at left turn but just barge heir way in. This issue can be seen in reverse in the US with the introduction of roundabouts. Many of my US friends think they are auperb but the number of drivers who just stop and wait is amazing. They are not used to forcing their way in which is what you havw to do with a busy roundabout.

I agree Martyn, not good value for money. With the changes underway I have decided not to change either of my cars. I am looking forward to Hydrogen or usable Electric vehicles so we can get rid of Fossil fuels. I think they are are still a few years away ao if i went for new vehicle i would lease so you don’t get stuck with old technology. I have a colleague whose wife has or is ordering a Nissan leaf as she does only does ahort runs, sounds fun.

Cars in US have always been cheaper as traditionally was Europe. The UK distribution system was based on lower volume higher margins than the US, the UK Government has greedily obertaxed cars and duel for many many years and the UK Industry developed an unhealthy reliance on company cars and fleets sales so the private. Buyer was disadvantaged. All that said, the US system can be misleading with Sticker and “factory” prices, rebates which the US loves and practice of calling cars the next year model and dumping inventory as the model year changes. Culturally the car is a right in the US not a luxury and the US is intolerant of attempts by Government or business to jack up prices.

You are right that there is a much bigger sales effort to downsize though trucks and SUV’s still remain very popular. Whilst the US has not been as outspoken on emissions as many other countries particularly in Europe the US Government has had a more consistent message on fuel economy. The big car companies in US came very close to folding ( though Ford did not ask for money) and I think as a result they have been more amenable to Government policies on fuel Efficiency.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I don’t think turning on red would work in the UK, much as I would like it to.

One of the easiest things to do is to remove all the clutter from the boot, and ensure you keep the car clean which reduces drag.

I only rarely use the air conditioning.

PatJordan
    Participant

OK, it’s a bit off the original topic, but I thought readers might appreciate this:

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/every-little-helps-ryanair-puts-weight-behind-saving-fuel-with-extraordinary-measures-3070225.html

Happy Easter everybody.

RichHI1
    Participant

Modern cars are now installing devices that stop the engine when stTionary. Looking at all the buses lining up in South London in the rush hour, do modern buses switch off too?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

If the Government were serious about reducing the cost to the environment and reducing CO2 emmissions, more incentives would be created for both travel and business.

However, reductions in petrol useage and cheaper cars will have an adverse effect on the governement finances.

RichHI1
    Participant

I am afraid there is only one sort of Green that this government is interested in, the folding variety. Not sure with current leadership the opposition is any different.

I don’t think British people are that bothered. The Green point campaign in Germany took off because people liked it. In Britain people have to be threatened to recycle waste.

I remember having an American car in UK in the 1980’s and being laughed at when I tried to find unleaded. I was repeatedly told we don’t sell that American rubbish in UK. So filler nozzle was punched out and cat removed.

The current focus is not on being green and. Cutting greenhouse gases it is about finding ways to stop Osborne or Darling from emptying our pockets.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Rich, not wishing to enter a political speach here, but

“Tips on making your petrol go further”

………all we can do as the end user is play at it. Take on less fuel, clean the car, take excess weight out of the car, turn the aircon off etc etc……..

Band A cars were introduced with a small incentive, no road tax and congestion free.

The best way to incentivize people to be enviromentally friendly (not Green), is to incentivize by reducing taxes.

The anomoly of ex Europe tickets is just one example. Fly 4 sectors, the Government earn more, the environment suffers more, more petrol is used – yet as a passenger, we pay less.

RichHI1
    Participant

Agreed. I favour road pricing as a way to reduce consumption and
    Congestion.
    I have no doubt the minute Electric vehicles are a Realistic option that Osborne or Darling or whoever follows them will slap massive tax on them.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Anyone who mentions “Darling” is very distant from the current UK political scene and the comments should be given weight accordingly.

The new hybrid Routemaster is among the most efficient buses in the market:

http://www.london.gov.uk/priorities/transport/new-bus-london

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls