Tips for making your petrol go further

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)

• RichHI1
    Participant

I mention Chancellors of both main parties as I do not see this as a party political issue. Given some posters relish for referring to margaret Thatcher who is very much the past, I find this comment surprising.

I do not think we will see anything more than lipservice from this Chancellor or any that follow.

Good to hear London buses are greener, Given the pollution issues in London on the hot days this is excellent.

Unfortunately a number of rural Routes are serviced by more elderly vehicles, let’s hope they follow London’s example.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The hybrid Routemaster buses are leading the way in terms of Public transport.

More needs to be done to solve the problems casued by the private motorist and the wastage by airliners flying with empty seats.

However, I still cant see how any solution can work, as reductions in fuel useage means reduction in Governement income.

RichHI1
    Participant

If angovernment wants to limit private motorist fuel Consumption then I see three options:
    Make public transport preferable through cost, quality and availability changes. Downside we are broke again with no more money to invest in public transport.
    Make fuel Even more expensive. Downside adds inflation to the cost of living and loses votes.
    Reintroduce fuel coupons and rationing. Politically unacceptable. it would take a national emergency to move away from the price mechanism.
    My view is Martyn is right, revenue is what matters not the wnvironment when setting the govt agenda. Any green shoots can be put down to gathering green votes rather than improving things.

RichHI1
    Participant

Does anyone out there no the facts around octane? Petrol in the UK
    Is a higher octane than in the US. Petrol in US and Brazil Amongst others supports flexifuel which allows for bio fuels. In Uk my garage advised me to use Super which is higher octane to get better mileage.
    My question, is higher octane fuel better for consumption and greenhouse gases or does the consumption drop get matched by emissions rise? Looking at emissions here not cost.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Rich, I am looking at this from the point of buying a new car. Its in my interest to look for a car below 100 C02 emissions. However, there is no reak encouragement from either the dealers, who seem amazed I am interested in Band A or the Government in trying to encourage consumers to be envrionmentally friendly.

RichHI1
    Participant

OK. Not familiar with UK CO2 system. US is very focussed on mpg (would that be kilometees per litre in UK?)

Tim2soza
    Participant

Declaring a commercial interest, not keeping your tyres pressures at the correct level will cost you 3 tanks of fuel a year on average mileage, and reduce tyre life by 10%. If you don’t / won’t check your tyre pressure weekly, it will cost you. Or…..

I won’t promote my company in line with forum policy, but if interested you can search the term ‘Millbrook puncture’ and you’ll get my drift.

Apologies in advance if I cross the line. BT moderator; I’ll take my punishment and please feel free to remove my post.

PatJordan
    Participant

I appreciate Tims advice regarding tyre pressures. I knew that the wrong pressure inceased the tyre wear, but an additional 3 tanks a year is a lot of cash.

Many thanks Tim.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“I won’t promote my company in line with forum policy”

?? – what policy -??

I would feel very comfortable taking advice from Forum members.

Perhaps something for NF

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

Martyn,
    Here are a few options

http://www.whatcar.com/greenawards/

first_class_please
    Participant

7.5 pence a litre in Saudi, a “green car” is anything less than a 3 litre V6 !!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Very interesting Tim. I imported this stuff from the USA into Holland over 25 years ago. We wanted to sell in the UK but met stiff resistance from the tyre selllers repairers. We needed a distributor and they were the natural choice.

In Holland we sold very well to the trucking industry using our own salesmen and were bought out by a tyre repair chain who then binned the product!

I wonder why?

Where is your stuff made?

Good luck with it, it was, and I guess still is, a very profitable business.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

T D C – many thanks for your link to some Green options.

You dont seem to get a lot of new car in the UK for around the £14,000 mark!

Redjohn
    Participant

VintageKrug – 04/04/2012 10:34 GMT

Anyone who mentions “Darling” is very distant from the current UK political scene and the comments should be given weight accordingly.

The new hybrid Routemaster is among the most efficient buses in the market:

Sorry, I had to laugh at the last line about Boris’s ludicrous folly. Hybrid buses are a good idea, but one that has cost tax payers the equivalent of £25,000 per seat is hardly green is it? Total self indulgence from that buffoon.

RichHI1
    Participant

I believe the post was meant to indicate efficient use of fossil fuels not necessarily public funds. That was how I read it but then there is no reality only perception and some perceptions are easier to explain than others.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls