The Ten Commandments for Avoiding and Managing Lost Luggage

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 61 through 71 (of 71 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

Priority tag’s Judy….LOL

The one thing on the old BD service from EDI to guarantee my bag taking as long to get from Gate 8 to the belt ….as it did to take to fly the length of England was that damn Pink tag !!!

Talking of tag’s…..I also removed my personalised KLM tag…..because it came with my home address printed on it….

An old lag told me, that airports a wonderful places to do intel !

Especially ….shufflies, going on what looks like an extended break to visit loved ones!

JordanD
    Participant

Canucklad – a top tip, told to me by an airline station manager at LHR was ot put your business office’s address in the the luggage tag holder.

Whilst I appreciate this doesn’t work for everyone (those who can’t/don’t want to disclose where they work or for those whose business address is their home address), for many it is the best case for a lost bag: there’s nearly always someone there to receive the bag if lost (even if it is building security) and it doesn’t matter if people see your away from your office address as they’ll have a much harder time getting in there, than your home!

BigDog.
    Participant

Alternatively prevention is better than cure – as there is a solution…….

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/10118962/The-luggage-that-will-never-be-lost.html

SergeantMajor
    Participant

Well I’m back, but my luggage is not.

Let’s see how this pans out.

TS-Andy
    Participant

Most airports don’t check the luggage tags against the tags the passengers retained but there is one airport(not a major one) in China that did that every time I pass thru’ there. Good job!

MartinJ
    Participant

(11) Fly an airline that allows you to take TWO proper bags into the Business Class cabin, not just one (plus a personal item), so you don’t need to check any bags.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Which airline were you on, SM?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

What’s the betting it was BA?

IanFromHKG
    Participant

If it was, LP, I am sure we will never hear any more about it…

But since on our last BA flights, they managed to mislay bags on three out of four sectors (one on the wrong carousel, one on the wrong plane and collected by the memsahib the following day, and one – which had a lot of our ski gear in and which they mislaid on the flight to the ski resort – took three days to deliver and caused me to lose an entire day of ski-ing (well, two half-days – shopping for replacement stuff, and waiting in for the courier to turn up). Still, at least they paid up the almost 800 euros we had to spend on stuff during the delay

JohnHarper
    Participant

I can’t imagine it was any airline other than BA as we would have been told in detail about how poor their services are.

I’d add a rule about avoiding lost luggage which is never fly IB, on every occasion bar one that I’ve flown with them they lost my bag and on the occasion they didn’t it was damaged beyond repair.

Maybe I’m unusually lucky but other than that I’ve never had a lost bag – maybe I shouldn’t have said that as I’m flying tomorrow!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Separate luggage issue. Last week the Memsahib and I flew to the UK for the Offsprings’ exeat, and CX managed to crush my bag. Can’t imagine how they did it, but it was an inch or two narrower than when I checked it in, and three of the four spinner wheels were stoved in. Fortunately it was only half full, so no damage to contents. Reported to CX luggage desk in LHR, was offered a replacement bag on the spot (rejected since it didn’t fit my requirements). Asked value of bag, which we estimated at GBP200. No quibble, given report card, told to buy a replacement and send the invoice to CX. Haven’t done that yet (only got back this week), and having to spend time buying a new bag was still irritating, but the customer service was exemplary – apologetic, proactive, helpful, and quick. The contrast with our BA experience at GVA was very stark indeed.

Things go wrong. Bags get lost or damaged. It happens, and I accept that. Service RECOVERY is the key. Get that right, and people don’t come out of the end of the process saying “Gosh, that was dreadful”, they come out saying “XXX went wrong, but they handled it so well”, and the net result can be a *positive* customer experience. CX seem to understand this, but IME BA don’t.

Viewing 11 posts - 61 through 71 (of 71 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls