The Ten Commandments for Avoiding and Managing Lost Luggage

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)

• VintageKrug
    Participant

Has anyone on the forum actually lost – I don’t mean been temporarily separated – but totally *lost* checked luggage?

Just asking around, I can’t find anyone I spoke to who has.

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

Today’s bumped thread from a long time ago and one Krug actually started back in 2008, five years ago. It took seven months for a second post and then the third was a bump from Krug himself twenty months later.

How marvelous that KrugHandles is continuing his game playing.

I wonder what tomorrow’s will be.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Henkel It does seem like a vendetta you have with him, that detracts from many good aspects of this forum.

I for one do not mind it when old topics come back to life, especially from before I have joined the forum, and can hear of different experiences and sometimes funny stories.

Looking back at how the forum used to be one can notice the dignity, good humour and generosity that used to be shared.

In this instance your attack on VK is totally out of context and really not necessary.

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

sparkyflyer – 13/06/2013 08:51 GMT

Do you really want to look at a board where Krug continually bumps threads to control what we see in the top ten? He’s done it every day this week. It happens most when there are threads he doesn’t like, i.e. those which are factually critical of BA in the top ten, they must be got rid of at all costs.

As I’ve said before, if you don’t like my posts don’t read them but I will continue to post.

pdtraveller
    Participant

I have lost my bags twice and these were both total losses and never recovered. On both occasions it was with BA and both were direct point to point flights with no transfers. On both occasions neither BA not my insurers at the time fully compensated for the loss.
    More recently it has been the inconvenience of delayed bags but I find that they have been returned within 24-48 hours.
    I also now have Amex insurance to protect me from such inconvenience and it has worked really well on the one occasion it really mattered.
    I can and do accept that delayed baggage is a fact of life however what I find really unacceptable ( no matter the class of travel) is not being advised either inflight or immediately upon arrival that my bags have been mishandled.
    Given the requirements to reconcile bags with boarded passengers and the automated system in place this should be accomplished as a matter of course. To be left standing at a carousel till the last bag has appeared simply adds insult to injury.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@pdtraveller – when I have a tight connection with bags in transit, I will always ask either in the lounge or at the boarding gate for confirmation of the location of my bag. At Heathrow, this is no problem as long as you get a helpful member of staff.

The other check to make is when your boarding pass is scanned at the gate, it should show how many bags have been loaded. However, if you board before the bag has been loaded it may not show – at least that’s how I think it works or did work!!

VintageKrug
    Participant

Interesting, pd. Were those total losses during a period of disruption, involved a connecting flight, or just regular point-to-point flying?

I always double check the check in lady has properly tagged my bag, especially when connecting so I know exactly when to collect my bags and when they will be automatically handled to my final destination.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I double check at tagging time too. It is also important to check again when retrieving bags from the carousel, as the memsahib recently found to her cost…

EDITED TO ADD

Particularly important in India, where it is also important to ensure you don’t take off your baggage tags before leaving the airport, since they are checked as you approach the exit from the terminal!

canucklad
    Participant

Edinburgh and YVR domestic scares me as tthe reclaim belts are both open to the general public……

that said i also pointed out on adifferent thread that I was warned in Spain of thieves who take advantage of FR et al low cost fares, do their criminal act in a seperate city before returning home on the last flight !

I’ve never completly lost my bag, I have however had my bag rummaged throughwhilst transiting LHR !

Edited to add…Hi HK, at least this thread is worth resurrecting !

MartynSinclair
    Participant

VK – do ever get check in boys or only check in ladies?

esselle
    Participant

“Loss” is an interesting word. In insurance terms, it relates to reduction in value. In aviation terms it can relate to something being in the wrong place.

Historically, the aviation industry has placed limitations on values relating to “lost” luggage, this reducing how much they had to pay you if your bag was “lost” or you suffered a “loss”.

In the mid 90’s I had a battle royal with BA over an incident whereby my bag, checked in in First at HKG, arrived in LHR with half the contents missing, the locks having been forced. They tried to claim is was “loss”‘ as in reduction in value. I claimed it was theft, which is of course neither “loss” nor “lost”.

My lawyer outmuscled theirs, and in the end they coughed for the whole value, as an ” ex-gratia”. But they did their best to resist !

AMcWhirter
    Participant

This article dates back from 2007 but it talks about what eventually happens to lost and unclaimed baggage. It’s disposed off through an auction house.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1559411/For-sale-at-auction-your-lost-luggage.html

pdtraveller
    Participant

VK, no both simple flights. One was LGW to DFW many many years ago and the other was LHR DUS. There was about 5 or 6 years between events. Was particularly peeved at the DFW incident as the bag was a rather trendy Antler in sky blue. I still have the matching suit carrier which looks like new almost 30 years after my mother convinced me to spend the equivalent of a months pay on both. “it will last a lifetime she said…..and at least one did! GOSH….I can see it now in the shop window….how bizarre….happy memories.

canucklad
    Participant

Hi pd traveller, maybe it was because it was a rather trendy Antler that it went missing ?

My top top tip is……..Since my thieverow incident with a locked samsonite …….

I never use locks…..and I always use shabby old worn cases…..(not shabby chic–which seems to be the fashion)

judynagy
    Participant

I’ve learned through experrience to follow most of the ten commandments. I’ve never totally lost a bag, in fact 3 days was the longest I was ever without my luggage, a story I posted earlier in this thread. Never had one damaged either. Don’t know if the Priority tags are responsible for this luck, but I’m grateful. Frankly, I think the airlines and airports do an amazing job. I am frugal by nature, so my bags are cheap and I use them until they fall apart. I remember buying a gorgeous leather camera bag years ago … when I really looked at it I saw “I’m a really gorgeous bag containing expensive equipment” so I never used the thing except for road trips.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls