The Ten Commandments for Avoiding and Managing Lost Luggage

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 71 total)

• VintageKrug
    Participant

Its a good point Martyn, but I think the difficulty is that any system is only as useful as its “weakest link”.

In Australia, this will be used only domestically. It’s a relatively closed market, with Qantas getting much (not all!) of the regular Business traffic; it makes sense to invest in the hardware and peripherals needed to manage this.

Less easy in Europe or the US where a wide range of airlines flies to multiple different airports.

iPhone boarding passes are relatively light on up front investment, and that is why I think they are more practical.

Don’t misunderstand, I am very impressed indeed with what Qantas are proposing – and hope it will be rolled out as open source technology with an easily accessible international standard. But RFID was trialled by BAA at LHR T5 (of all places!) almost three years ago in Feb 2008:

http://www.airport-technology.com/features/feature1712/

For now, until that happens, iPhone boarding passes are the most practical option, and I have to say I don’t really find them any more cumbersome than paper tickets.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

The other problem with the iPhone boarding pass, and in my opinion its weakest link, is you need a data connection to access the boarding pass. I have yet to visit an airport which has free wifi for this purpose or else I need to spend a fortune (relatively speaking) to download it using 3G (unless in my home country). I have not yet found a way of storing the pass on the iPhone that does not then require a separate app.

It’s a nice novelty, but I prefer to check-in online, print my boarding pass, or else turn up at the airport and have them do it for me when I’m checking in my baggage.

One other downside = a flat battery!!!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Flip the argument and look for the strongest link, which is the investmnent opportunities by Oneworld as oppose to a single investment by Qantas.

SSTBeliever
    Participant

Practical help please!! I arrived on BA10 from SYD on 15/12 in F and a GC holder. One of my bags was badly damaged (which I have to say has never happened to me before) and I duly reported it to the BA baggage Officer who gave me a reference number and told me to call Customer Service and Sales on 08444930787 later and they would advise me what to do. I duly did this and was told to ring Antler on 01617625005 (apparently Antler deal with all BA passengers damaged bags). I rang them and was told that BA had not uploaded the information to them yet but they would chase BA to do so on my behalf and call me back when they had the relevant information. Nothing heard so I called back on 17/12 to be given the same story and profuse apologies. I then called the BA baggage tracking number on 08444930785 and went through a number of recorded messages telling me to report the damage online and I would get a Reference number that I already had before the line cut out saying they were very busy!! Hmmm now what to do – tried the ECGC number to be told they didn’t have a clue what to do and given the Baggage tracking number again. Friday evening by now so gave up for the weekend and went through the same process on 20/12 and 23/12 and again today to no avail. I need my bag replaced to travel on 10/01/11 but at this rate I will still be in an infinite loop and no-one to speak to who can help!! Not what I would call good customer service to a regular F passenger – BA are in danger of losing my business and that of my two GC working children but I don’t suppose they give a damn and all because a simple computer upload has not been made. Any advice gratefully received!-apart from marching into Waterside and blocking the Ops Room door I am running out of ideas!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Dear SSTBeliever – I think part of the issue is that your problem occured during a very challenging period for ALL airlines. I would imagine that passengers in and out of Heathrow have been the priority, thats not to say that a damaged bag be ignored.

My best advice would be to leave it until after the holiday period. With Heathrow and passenger flows getting back to normal, along with Holidayitus, I dont think you will get much common sense from anyone until after the 4th.

I know that you intend travelling on the 10th and it may be that you need to buy another suitcase in the interim. If that it is the case, I would keep the receipt. The other option could be to contact your travel insurance or contents insurers to see if the damaged case is covered.

I think though that it would be a pity if this one incident was the cause of you along with your 2 gold card working children taking your business away from British Airways. If you are getting no joy, my advice would be to do as you suggest, march into Waterside and demand action, otherwise, try using the online Exec Club contact as it has never failed to provide a repsonse to me in the past.

Happy New Year to you and I hope your case is resolved.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Dear SSTBeliever, I agree with Marytn, but perhaps I could go one step further.

I travel with old hard shell Samsonite’s. These are virtually indestructible and so battered and scratched that further damage is not really noticeable. They also float! Some years ago when transferring the baggage to a boat, the trolley fell in the water. My two bags floated and were quickly picked up – and the contents were all dry. Everyone else’s sank!

Secondly, and this is perhaps a terrible thing to say, but you did get your bag. Perhaps this is the coward’s way, but is it really worth the time and hassle you are spending on this. Cost the damage out over the number of flights you have taken, and I would think the cost is very low.

Shrugging it off and letting them get away with it, will reduce your blood pressure and leave you more time to do other more practical things.

Finally, blacklisting BA will in the end only inconvenience yourself. BA and QF have a revenue sharing agreement, and flying Emirates or their ilk will mean an inconvenient and, probably, middle of the night transfer.

So in the end, give it to your insurance, buy a Samsonite (or other hard shelled case) and look forward to all that 2011 will bring 😉

ChinaEddie
    Participant

At the risk of sounding “old fashion”, one way is to be alert during baggage collection. Although this cannot side-step any miscues by the airlines.

Another way that i practise is to take a pix of my luggage contents and email the said pix to my own online email account (i.e. gmail etc.).

robsmith100
    Participant

Happy new year everyone!

I have just done a very quick Google search, on luggage tracking and have come across two companies that offer services for tracking down you bag(s) from anywhere in the world using the their tag and track technology.

The two companies below appear to be well established

http://www.calluma.com/tagntraq.aspx

http://globalbagtag.com/

Has anyone used or use them? any good?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Rob, I have taken a quick look at the bagage tracking services and they appear to offer nothing more than a ‘managed service’ using the airlines own technology. I wouldnt have thought any external company would be able to utilsie independant tracking services for pax lugage.

The only additional safety net that i can think of is the put an ipad/pod or similar in your case which for as long as the battery lasted, would enable to bag to be tracked, unless you could acheive the same sort of thing with a smaller, cheaper and more a unit with a longer lasting power unit – that the airlines didnt object to.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Martyn

A great idea – the only flaw is that any device in your luggage would have to be switched on, and this would have the same “effect” (real or alleged) as keeping your phone switched on in flight, I would think.

Sorry to be picky, Martyn – have a great 2011!

Simon

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Simon

I am writing this response with no idea of whether it is factual, so please educate me.

Where does it say that electronics in checked bags must be switched off?

Look forward to hearing.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Good point, Martyn!! I was just following a (for me) logical line of thought which suggests that we are told to switch off any device in the cabin that uses “radio” technology as it could interfere with the aircraft;s systems.

Egro, any similar device switched on in the hold could have the same effect. Clearly, for an iPad or iPhone to be able to be traced, it would have to be emitting signals.

But you are correct – I don’t think we are told explicitly that we must switch off any devices in checked baggage….

Simon

VintageKrug
    Participant

JAL certainly states this explicitly:

From January 15, 2004, use of electric (electronic) devices aboard aircraft, including the time on the ground, is prohibited and punishable under the Civil Aeronautics Law of Japan. We request your understanding and cooperation.Please switch off the power of all electric (electronic) devices packed in checked baggage, excluding those that are not restricted as shown in the chart below.

http://www.ar.jal.com/en/flight_planning/reservation/guide/index004.html

SimonRowberry
    Participant

I stand corrected, VK.

One sign that made me titter at WAW yesterday (about the only bloody thing that did) was, amongst the list of things you can’t take in hand baggage, was a graphic of a bomb (real Luney Tunes style, with fizzing fuse) with a cross through it, a la “no smoking” signs format. Also one for a revolver.

Simon

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Happy New Year to One and All.

My son received for Christmas a “Pass the Bomb” game. It is a plastic bomb in the classic Looney Tune style, complete with fuse. Not sure how it’s played but it’s passed from person to person depending on the throw of a dice. All the time it ticks and then it suddenly (anything from 10 – 60 seconds) goes off with a sort of vibrating mock exploding bomb sound.

He wants to take it with him to Cape Town, I say no, we’ll likely get arrested or at least it will be confiscated.

Any thoughts on this out there?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 71 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls