The LEAST expensive flight you have ever purchased

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

• BugAdvisor
    Participant

20 years ago I picked up a bargain charter flight London to Florida via Gander for £32.
    Maybe 10 years ago I was regularly flying Sky Europe PRG-LUT and PRG-Zadar (Croatia) for £1 – the airline went bust in 2009.
    What is the least you’ve paid for an airline ticket – not including points, freebies, competition wins, company pays etc?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

My wife was nce paid £x (can’t remember the exact number, but it was quite small) to fly from Malta to London, in the early days of Ryanair on the route.

Essentially, the ticekt was free and the airline paid the taxes!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

My record is around £2 and 10 shillings (pre-decimalisation) or £2.50 (in today’s currency) for a BEA stand-by ticket from Manchester to London. It might have been a standby youth fare when I took the BAC 1-11 flight in January 1970. There were no taxes/fees/charges in those days.

christopheL
    Participant

A few years ago a lot of people were able to pay £1 or 1€ (£2 or 2 € for a return flight !) within Europe thanks to airlines like Ryanair. My former British neighbours in France’s countryside used to come back to England anytime Ryanair was selling 1 € tickets to London.

As business class tickets are concerned, I flew CDG to GRU (via FRA) with Lufthansa for 1200 € return back in 2012 and next May I will be flying LHR to MEL (via CGK) with Garuda for £1085 return.

TominScotland
    Participant

Glasgow to Shannon return with Ryanair about 6 years ago – 1p each way and the airline covered the taxes – in other words 2p return!!

Business Class? We are flying Pisa – Auckland return with Qatar leaving on Wednesday for €965 – ticket bought before the Referendum to in the region of £780….. At the time of booking, this was significantly less than any other airline was offering in Economy. Our Glasgow – Pisa connectors cost £70 each plus Avios with BA.

openfly
    Participant

LGW-DUB-MAN-DUB-LGW for 4p, a penny a sector on Ryanair, years ago…twice!! No taxes…just 1p a sector….
    Beat that!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I used to fly from Lydd to le Touquet in the late 60’s and from memory I paid £1-10s (£1.50 in new money). My memory is rusty so happy to be corrected on the fare I paid if anyone else remembers.

Hktbound
    Participant

I live on he Costa Del sol and regularly pay low fares because of the volume of flights and the choice of 2 airports (Malaga and Gibraltar). Even last week I paid 17 pounds on Ryanair for a 1 way from AGP-STN.
    The best I ever got was an Easyjet promotion when the flight was free (I guess I paid some taxes as it was years ago.
    Cheapest long haul in business class was MAD-BKK for 1300 euros return on Egyptair on the new 777 with flat bed (no alcohol of course). However, just booked LGW-HKT return with Emirates for 1500 pounds which all the frills which I thought wasn’t bad.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

My most cost effective route is AMS-BKK on BA. I can get this ticket for around Euros 1300 and it comes with sufficient avios for up to 7 free European sectors (economy) or 3 to 4 in business (all easily redeemable). This equates to virtually free travel…

onajetplane
    Participant

DUB-BIQ 0.02cents return tax inclusive. Back in the good old ryanair sale days…

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

The least expensive was an afternoon flight in a Thai International Shorts Skyvan from Chiang Mae to Mae Hon Son on the Thai-Burmese border. A 45 minutes flight for what was, I seem to recall, something like GBP15 back in the mid-1980s. How things have changed since I did the mid-afternoon big dipper (soaring thermals followed by precipitous and stomach churning drops) ride to what was literally a cinder/dirt strip in the hills. From Google maps, MHS now has a properly paved runway with a proper terminal building etc. Presumably all of those road crews building dual carriageways into the Thai Highlands completed their work and the old Japanese WW2 track along which I sat in the back of an old Hino truck is now a fully metalled roadway.

stevescoots
    Participant

probably one of the £1 + taxes flights out to PRG many years ago

JohnHarper
    Participant

About 30 years ago when air fares were in real terms much higher than now I paid the equivalent of £8 to fly from Athens to Kalamata on Olympic Airways. The fare included a hot meal and drinks with a flying time of something like 35 minutes.

Now you would use the excellent new roads and be there in a couple of hours!

penfold69
    Participant

Ryanair penny sale about 10 years ago. Booked EDI/BRU, EDI/PRG and a few others for 1p each way. I even had a visa electron card to avoid the card charges. Booked for 4 of us in total and spent about 60p on lots of flights. Didn’t actually take all the flights, as I was too busy buying flights for a penny to check holidays and that of my mates.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

Stansted to Newcastle return for £29 with Go around 2002.

Business class: Bristol to Dallas last year via Dublin with American Airlines. £1000 including airport transfers and overnight hotel stays.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls