The LEAST expensive flight you have ever purchased

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

I just remembered good old Freddie Laker. LGW – New York for just £50. A real bargain then. I believe the return was $50.

Tallinnman
    Participant

Cheapest premium fare was first class on Singapore Airlines one way from Singapore to KL back in 2003 for around £80.

They served Krug in the first class lounge then so I actually owe the airline a sizeable sum as I checked in quite early!

Cloud-9
    Participant

CPH/JFK on BA J in July August 2016 for £400 each

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

And just remembered £26 each way LGW/HKG/LGW on BCal. The only time I have ever been to Dubai. But that was as an MoD standby passenger back in the mid-80s when the Union Flag still flew over HK and a lot of the military roulement was via civil air.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

That also reninds me Anthony. LGW – HKG First Class return with BCal for free. You just had to buy a suit or two at Austin Reed to qualify.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

LP – I had forgotten about that promotion !

I remember when all that extra capacity appeared on the London-Hong Kong route in 1980/1981 there were some great bargains.

Until then BOAC/British Airways had held a long-standing monopoly. Fares were high and a good number of passengers were not happy with the service.

When Cathay Pacific first arrived at LGW in 1980 it was selling economy flights to Hong Kong for just over £300 return (all inclusive). And I am sure there were few if any restrictions.

BCal and Laker Airways were also granted traffic rights but the latter never did operate the route.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Value wise, I was pleased with £28.45 pp for 4 seats, for a flight the evening before the October half term school holiday, with Norwegian one way LGW to ALC. (2015).

TheLion
    Participant

Paying Y it was probably £38 return STN to AHO (Alghero) with FR back in May 2011. Long haul maybe £420 return to Delhi on KU in 2005. In Club I paid USD$136 return on Uzbekistan Airways’ ancient Tu-154 from Tashkent to Urgench back in 2008. That was a real av geek experience, a thriller!

However I had numerous of free firm and standby staff flights through my BA staff mum as a kid, mostly taken at such time so we’d get Club World seats! Seychelles (when it was affordable), Mauritius, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Malaysia, Thailand and several European destinations all featured.

Do my paid sectors sound like quite high fares for the cheapest do you all think? 😉

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I can’t remember the deal Alex, but I’ve still got one suit in my cupboard. Sadly it seems to have “shrunk” over the years! ?

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

28p each way, Ryanair from Stansted to Hamburg/Lubeck, some time just before Christmas around 2004. Taxes were about a tenner.

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

@MartynSinclair – one of my staff is doing exactly this route in May, for much the same reason.

drflight
    Participant

Some years ago when Ryanair had heaps of £0.01p fares. Best of all were several on their new route Belfast to Prestwick. Being a new route to Prestwick there were free rail tickets to anywhere else in Scotland. All you had to do was show your ticket print off at the Prestwick information desk and they handed you a free return to wherever you wanted to go!

Selbyjay
    Participant

Not the cheapest by the above standards, but a few exceptionally good value flights:

£220 Gatwick to St Lucia on XL Airways in 2008 (now bust)
    £560 Amsterdam to Tokyo in Business Class with Qatar (booked in this year’s travel festival sale, travelling in November)

JJames3
    Participant

Technically (as I used BA miles too) you could say that this wasn’t cheap, but…..
    LHR – JFK on Concorde, returning 5 days later in 1st class on a 747 in either 2001/2, I paid £69 in taxes plus 160K or 180K miles… AS I flew back on my birthday and the CSD gave me a bottle of Krug, £70 in the old days… I effectively made £1 on t he deal 🙂

mrsnosmits
    Participant

Last August – Business from DUB to TPA Florida via PHL return with American Airlines £779 (more than double this year). LHR to DUB with BA using avios

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls