The five cars getting all the attention at the Geneva auto show

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 64 total)

• MrMichael
    Participant

I sort of kicked this off by criticising LuganPirate for not mentioning in his top four cars the British Mraque…..Jaguar. I see he responded to tell me he actually owns a very nice Jaguar. LuganoPirate, my full and unequivocal apologies to you Sir.

Now for the rest of you…..suggesting a Jag is for old men………..yeh…so!

stevescoots
    Participant

I have been an S600 man for many years rom the unreliable and financially ruining W220 onwards, apart from a short stint in a diesel I have a passion for that V12
    oh and a 500 quid Espace for throwing the rubbish/dog/grandkids in!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Confesson time. I have a Jag. I just turned 50. I recently took up golf. And bridge.

However, doesn’t stop me having a passion for cars. The Jag (an XF) is a lovely car and veyr nice to drive, although being an earlier version it doesn’t have the latest (and much better) gearbox. The story of how I ended up with the Jag is a sad one, and represents a massive own goal (to add to the one about not buying an Aston).

The Memsahib was driving a Lexus RX400h, the big 4×4 hybrid. Special comment to TimF – it may have been an eco car, but it was utterly dreadful in every other respect. Absolutely awful car, and the only car purchase I have ever made which I truly regret. Anyway, neither of us said anything about it to the other for some time, when in chance conversation the subject came up and we realised that we both loathed it. So I came up with the bright idea (or so I thought) of getting a nice cabriolet for the Memsahib, which I could then drive at weekends, while I would continue driving my own car during the week. Said motor was a red BMW 840Ci, with the aero pack, and probably the most beautiful car BMW ever made (http://wkcars.com/bmw/840.html), and I adored it.

Unfortunately, after much hunting, the Memsahib ended up picking a Mini cabriolet. Which meant my beloved Beemer had to be substituted with a family car. And the Jag fulfils that role wonderfully. But it’s not quite the same (sigh)

Carajillo2Sugar
    Participant

Ian – do not allow yourself to be a passenger in a Mini cabriolet and certainly don’t even consider being in the drivers seat. Ever.

😉

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I take your point, C2S, but sometimes I have no choice. And somewhat surprisingly, all four of us can fit in the Mini (even with the roof on) despite Senior Offspring being a whisker under 6 feet and me being 6’3″. I even fit in the back. And although I don’t like being a passenger – the ride is phenomenally harsh – it is quite fun to drive. Especially with the roof off!

Carajillo2Sugar
    Participant

OK, if you must, just make sure it’s dark or wear a disguise….

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@TimFitzgeraldTC +1 (see someone agrees!!)

I think the sooner R&D creates a stylish green car with the capacity to run for more than 350 miles and a faster charging system, then “Chelsea Tractors” may be replaced by “Mayfair Electrics”..

I am following Elon Musk and his Tesla brand.

esselle
    Participant

Tesla is a big hit in Norway. There, tax advantages compared with regular cars, and very easy access to FREE charging points are political decisions made to support a very well conceived environmental plan.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

..and the car/brand competes on performance and style…

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Indeed: there is a new Tesla shop/concession/dealership at Brent Cross (just along from Waitrose….) which appears to be almost universally empty whenever I have wandered past.

esselle
    Participant

AD
    I strongly recommend you try it. Prepare to be amazed.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

And there I was drooling over a pristine white DB9 as it purred past in the outside lane of the M23 yesterday afternoon….

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I see ever-growing numbers of Teslas in UK, which of course is a perfect match for the car. Masses of torque for all the hills, shorter distances so less problem with range anxiety, lots of stop-start city driving, a three-minute legal limit on idling combustion engines, and a reasonable number of charging points in carparks

esselle
    Participant

Really love the word “purr” to describe the Aston V12; and also love how it turns to “bark” with the slightest downshift………………….that’s what my V12 Vantage did. By contrast, the AMG sounds like a Spitfire taking off.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

My inheritance the Morris Minor – still used and great for casual conversations with elderly passers by – my Bros inheritance the Bristol now sadly gone.

Currently driving a Nissan Rogue (courtesy SFO Sixt) – nice enough after a check but with all four tires initially at different pressures (50 psi down to 23 psi for a recommended 33psi). Almost as poor a performance as another hire at Geneva Airport!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 64 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls