The five cars getting all the attention at the Geneva auto show

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)

• Anonymous

kuleighmolrx
    Participant

Though Volkswagen’s Passatt won “Car of the Year” at this year’s Geneva auto show, it’s not what’s bringing in the crowds. Every year car enthusiasts gather to see the most outrageously priced, shiny supercars money can buy. They weren’t disappointed. Here’s a look at five cars that are getting most of the attention.

Ferrari 488 G TB
    It’s no surprise to see a Ferrari make the list. The company has a long history of racing and they channeled all of it into this turbo charged V-8 engine that can accelerate the car to 62 mph in 3 seconds flat.

Audi R8
    Not quite as fast as the Ferrari, the Audi R8 has a V-10 engine and can accelerate to 62 mph in 3.2 seconds. Thanks to its carbon fiber chassis, the R8 is lighter than ever, weighing 110 pounds less than the first generation R8. It’s new and improved design screams “supercar.” Audi has announced that there will be an electric version of the R8 which can go 276 miles on a full charge.

Mercedes Maybach S-600 Pullman
    This limousine is as luxurious as it gets. With four quilted leather reclineable seats, a built-in champagne cooler, and a partition window than turns from transparent to opaque at the press of a button, there’s no better way to arrive in style. An armored version is also available.

BMW 2-Series Gran Tourer
    You’re probably wondering why a minivan is on this list. It’s not exactly a supercar but BMW’s Gran Tourer is attracting attention by being the first premium compact that can hold up to seven people.

Lamborghini Aventador LP 750-4 Superveloce
    We’ve saved the best for last. The Aventador Superveloce (Italian for Superfast) lives up to its name. It’s got a V-12 engine that boasts 750 horsepower. The sound of that engine revving is a thing of beauty. It goes 0 to 62 mph in 2.8 seconds and can reach speeds of up to 217 mph. The design is typical of other Lamborghinis. It rides low to the ground, has a very angular design, and somehow seems angry. The one downside (besides cost) is that it only gets about 15 miles per gallon. Then again, if you can afford to drop half a million on an Italian Supercar, you’re probably not too concerned with rising gas prices.

Auto news brought to you by topinsurance.agency

Source:
    detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/foreign/2015/03/04/geneva-auto-show/24371687/

Tags: Geneva auto show, supercars, exotic cars, car insurance, auto insurance

LuganoPirate
    Participant

No thanks. Best cars are
    Aston Martin. Nice little run around
    Bentley: A good family car
    Range Rover: Everyday family use. School run etc.

MrMichael
    Participant

LuganoPirate, I repectfully suggest you know nothing about what your talking about. I have never heard of such tosh. I think the rarified air of the mountains in Lugano is getting to you. You usually talk sense on this forum.

Have you ever been in a Jaguar?

canucklad
    Participant

Dear o’ dear, oh dearie dearie me…….
    The poor man’s been sacked less than 24 hours and already we’ve got people touting for his job……
    Shame on you all !!

esselle
    Participant

I am with LP on this.

Had a private tour of the Bentley factory recently and there is no doubting the quality and engineering of the marque, albeit it is slightly tarnished perhaps by footballers giving theirs suede wraps etc.

Recently swapped out my Aston for an SLS AMG but know I will go back at some point.

The Rangie just does everything perfectly.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks for the support Esselle, and I’m sure you’ll go back to the AM in the not too distant future.

I’ve not visited the Bentley factory yet but will do this summer with a friend of mine who is a Bentley driver. Try and see the AM factory at Gaydon, it’s also impressive.

And yes Mr. Michael, in fact I still have my 1986 XJS V12 with over 350,000 miles on the clock and still purring perfectly with the Lugano air helping those pistons move. I went off Jags when they stopped producing them with the V12 which I think is an amazing engine. They are producing some very nice models now I must admit especially since they hired Ian Callum from Aston.

All perfect cars for travelling (this is a travel forum so had to mention the word ;-)) around Europe in.

PS. Canucklad, how do you know I’m NOT Mr. Clarkson looking for a new job? ;-)))))

esselle
    Participant

Dear LP

I spent a day at Gaydon about a year ago. A fantastic experience, but they made me sign a confidentiality agreement, so I can’t talk about it!!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I just love driving my Fiat 500 up to the Gulfstream… and then asking the ground crew to go and park it…. Much safer bet than entrusting them with the Ferrari…. :)))

esselle
    Participant

LP

If you need a hotel near the Bentley factory I can recommend Rookery Hall.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

esselle – 26/03/2015 08:41 GMT
    The Rangie just does everything perfectly.

Just got rid of my old one and into a Vogue SE 4.4V8 diesel, the improvements over my 2010 model are immeasurable.

It is the quietest 4×4 ever and very very comfortable on long journeys. Love the whole mood-lighting thing too…..awesome.

Rgds.
    AOTG.

PS Jaguar? I’m not nearly old enough. *ducks for cover*…….

esselle
    Participant

AOTG

Yes. 4.4SDV8 is a great engine. This is my 5th Rangie and it is a huge leap forward by comparison with the outgoing model.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

esselle – 26/03/2015 12:47 GMT
    Yes. 4.4SDV8 is a great engine. This is my 5th Rangie and it is a huge leap forward by comparison with the outgoing model.

Thing is, I thought the old one was a great car, the new one is just sublime. I did have a look at a sport too……but then I remembered I am a bloke.

😉
    Rgds.
    AOTG.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ AllOverTheGaff – 26/03/2015 12:45 GMT

PS Jaguar? I’m not nearly old enough. *ducks for cover*…….

You’ve clearly not spent enough time recently thumbing through the car mags whilst your other half is cruising the supermarket aisles…. Jaguar has very impressive plans for its new vehicle developments that are clearly aimed at attracting a much younger buyer

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/jaguar/33918/jaguar-land-rovers-future-revealed

starting with the F-type

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/jaguar/f-type

and continuing with the new (2016) 3-series competitor:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2016-jaguar-xe-feature

Admittedly, it has taken Jaguar “quite some time” to get its corporate head around the idea that there is a massive BMW dominated market sector that should be attacked and cut into.

esselle
    Participant

I kind of agree that Jag still has the whiff of cavalry twill and string backed driving gloves about it. Even if the F type is by all accounts a great drive, the X and S were terrible. The XF has won a lot of awards but it still doesn’t hit the “young and thrusting” in the way BMW and Audi have. The XK looked good because it shared its shape with a DB. As for the XJ, the only place to sit is in the back.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls