The ever-rising cost of hotel breakfasts

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 117 total)

• judynagy
    Participant

Wow, Captonianm, I haven’t read a post revealing this much ignorance and stereotyping in a long time. Of course we’re pretty enlightened out here in San Francisco. I know that this post will get hundreds of responses from people who love the French but let me be the first. In 40 years of travelling in France, I experienced one bit of rudeness. One. Never noticed any halitosis or BO in France either.

And to address your anecdote, If people receive menus in restaurants and are unable to calculate the cost of what they order, I fail to see how that is the restaurant’s problem.

RichHI1
    Participant

Ignoring the stereotypes of the Germans, the French and the Bay area, I think most people know that unless you are availing yourself of the club lounge or have an inclusive rate, breakfasting in as hotel is never likely to represent a bargain. I find local coffee stalls to provide better coffee, fresher pastries and certainly better value.

Communipaw
    Participant

I am staying at an extended stay facility in Louisiana, working away from my home in San Antonio Texas.

Can’t beat the breakfast here…I have a full kitchen…and I make it! :p

BTW: I like oatmeal (What you folks call porridge)…….

capetonianm
    Participant

“judynagy : Wow, Captonianm, I haven’t read a post revealing this much ignorance and stereotyping in a long time. “

I suspect your experiences of France, particularly the South, are rather more limited than you would want others to believe. The place is known, deservedly, for poor service and high prices.

And to address your retort, they asked for Club Sandwiches, which weren’t on the menu. In retrospect maybe that was not a very smart move but they did not expect a rip-off on that scale to be perpetrated. Would you consider €45 reasonable for a club sandwich?

Stereotypes, as you call them, are based on observation and thus generally on reality. Like it or not, that’s how it is. The stereotype of the fat, ugly, loud American is alive and well even if such are only a small minority, they are the ones who draw attention to themselves.

RichHI1
    Participant

Can we return to the topic as I do not think abusive stereptypes are helping? There are negative stereotypes of all nations including the UK
    And I Do not see them adding value here.
    Ordering off the menu without inquiring about price is naive as is posted and large hotels in tourist areas have a reputation for taking advantage of foreign visitors.

CXDiamond
    Participant

Anyone ordering anything in a restaurant or hotel without have knowledge of the price deserves exactly what they get. To order something which is not on the menu in the first place is foolish.

I think we all know hotel breakfasts are way over priced, I always try to book an inclusive rate as I do really rather enjoy them but resent the rack rate even if it’s not my money, just a little indulgence in the midst of a busy life!

Communipaw
    Participant

Captonianm opined @ 27/04/2012 07:09 GMT:

“The stereotype of the fat, ugly, loud American is alive and well even if such are only a small minority, they are the ones who draw attention to themselves.”

As one of the resident Americans who frequents this forum I resent and do not appreciate your statement. I’m sure if you look hard enough in your own back yard, you’ll find the same sort of people.

I do not appreciate that any more than the comments that were labeled regarding the French. Those are just as uncalled for.

My apologies to the other forum members, but statements like that are one of the very few things that annoy me.

capetonianm
    Participant

The pretence of political correctness is everywhere.

I recounted something factual that took place and am accused of ‘stereotyping’. Did I say that all French people suffer from BO and halitosis? No, you people drew the inference. All I said was that the area is renowned for bad service and high prices. Do the research and you’ll find any number of travel articles and books confirming this. I also said the French are spineless. I stand by that – I have plenty of experience in the matter to back my contention. That comment I accept will offend some people. Tough.

I said “The stereotype of the fat, ugly, loud American is alive and well even if such are only a small minority, they are the ones who draw attention to themselves.”

Did I say that all Americans are like that? No, again, you took it to be my opinion, but if you’d bothered to read and comprehend what I wrote, perhaps you’d take a different view. Is it my fault that a tiny minority of US Americans have created a stereotype which exists?

“one of the very few things that annoy me” ……. is people who jump to conclusions and accuse others of ‘racism’ and similar epithets when it’s uncalled for.

Communipaw
    Participant

Capetonianm, first of all you need to stop back-pedaling.

You made a blanket statement about ALL Americans. That was offensive to any right thinking indiividual. Your statements about the French are EQUALLY offensive.

This is a TRAVEL forum. Not a nationality bashing forum. If that is the sort of thing you’re looking for, then you’re in the wrong place Mate.

capetonianm
    Participant

“The stereotype of the fat, ugly, loud American is alive and well even if such are only a small minority, they are the ones who draw attention to themselves.”

That is not my “blanket statement about ALL Americans”. Try to understand it, please.

To put it into context, I’ve spent a lot of time in the USA and I’d say that perhaps 0.5% of the people I met fall into that category. Nevertheless, the stereotype exists.

I’m not back-pedalling, just trying to assist you to understand why stereotypes exist.

This is a pointless and fruitless discussion. I stand by what I said, let’s agree to differ.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Oh dear. Here we go again. The increasingly familiar sight of people hiding behind their anonymity to lob uncalled for abuse at other posters (and the wider global community too now, it seems). Grow up please or post such offensive (and racist) twaddle elsewhere.

I also found capetonianm’s comments uncalled for. What if someone referred to all white South Africans in a negative way too and inferred that they are all racist….? That would constitute exactly the same unintelligent and boorish (or should that be “boerish”) stereotyping. Totally out of order.

This board needs some serious moderation. Roll on the new product.

PS Judy (and fair play for having the courage to post under your real name) – I think you missed the word “never” or “not” out of your post!! It kind of changed the meaning a tad 😉

Simon

Communipaw
    Participant

Yes, YOUR discussion was pointless, fruitless…and TASTELESS.

I don’t need your assistance in understanding anything thank you very much.

I believe the entire forum got the gist of what you stated.

And if no one else here will correct your rudeness, I certainly will.

judynagy
    Participant

Oh dear, I made a typo? No time to go check it now. As a fat American with bad breath, I’m off to the gym for my spinal exercises and will bring extra mints. I agree, the original post should have been deleted by the moderator.

capetonianm
    Participant

“What if someone referred to all white South Africans in a negative way too and inferred that they are all racist….? That would constitute exactly the same unintelligent and boorish (or should that be “boerish”) stereotyping. Totally out of order.”

What if someone did so? Why should I care? ….. The stereotype exists, a minority of white South Africans conform to it, in the same way as minority of US Americans conform to that stereotype and a minority of French conform to their stereotype.

None so blind ………. they say. Jees, some of you need to lighten up and take the blinkers off.

RichHI1
    Participant

Forgive me but I do not see how national stereotypes and offense relate to the price of hotel breakfasts. Some, including myself, do not appreciate some of the comments but there is little to be gained from going over it. Can we return to breakfast charges, please?

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 117 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls