The ever-rising cost of hotel breakfasts

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 117 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

LuganoPirate – this article is shattering as I have lived on Special K for 4 years. I have shared my Special K with BA cabin crew, many of whom travel with their own box. I would fly Qantas because they served Special K.

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16171090

It did help me lose over 4 stone in weight though!!!

Looking for something new – wont touch the stuff after Monday.

If any dietitians read this forum would love a pointer to replace Special K (no milk though). Porridge, water and low fat yogurt have been suggested.

This thread is about breakfast…..

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

The most healthy thing is undoubtably porridge, I’ve always been told that to add cinnamon, a spoon of honey and some fruit to it makes the perfect breakfast. I have tried to eat it but after seeing it every morning for eleven years through boarding school, (where plates had to be cleared) the smell still makes me retch. I wish I could eat it and I try it regularly but without success.

I eat low GI fruit and usually greek yoghurt. If I’m at home I buy the zero fat Total one, if I’m away, whatever I can get hold of. If I’m in a hotel, I will usually eat something hot too. Breakfast buffets are a weakness of mine, (regardless of the cost) and I do enjoy breakfast as long as someone else has cooked it. I would never bother at home and Mrs LPPS doesn’t cook in the mornings so I still see hotel breakfast as a bit of a treat.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Martyn i have porridge every morning like LPPSKrisflyer i make mine with milk not water and add apple and raisins. My boyfriend adds a scope of protein to it too and some times egg whites. You can cook it in the microwave in about 4-5 mins. Weekends are my treat esp Sun when mum makes a full english. egg bacon, beans, susage tomato, mushroom toast, sometimes fried bread… YUMMMY 🙂

Disgusted how can you eat cereal bars, try the Jordans muesli ones instead, much better i always keep one in my handbag.

NTarrant
    Participant

Sultana Bran Martyn, tasty and keeps you regular!

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Becky, if you trouble to read my post you will see I don’t eat porridge.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

This Special K thing has really hit me for 6 – I am now going to have to change my SPG profile and drive hotels around the world mad. Will the Thai’s be able to make porridge?? Will I have to bring my own porridge on flights?

Thanks for your all your help.

I am going with the porridge + water + cinnamon + low fat yogurt option, followed by a plate of fresh fruit + coffee

The added honey may be one too many cals + sugar.

Health bars below 100 cals, a couple during the day always works for me.

Use a couple of strong cups of coffee in lieu of the sultana bran Nigel, works a treat!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Interesting, thanks Martyn.

Porridge can be found almost everywhere, it’s basically oats. In Africa it’s known as “Pap”. If you add Cinnamon, the powder will help neutralise the sugar in honey.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“Cinnamon neutralizes sugar”

Is this a la L P or is scientific!

The only sugar I knowingly consume is in fruit, apart from being force fed by Kellogs for the past 4 years!!!

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Martyn: Porridge is a very low GI food, cinnamon lowers the GI even further. The honey adds to the taste, honey is also for a sugar, low GI so you can add it – in moderation to porridge without affecting the overall dish because you have added the cinnamon. I suggest you try adding the fruit to it unless you like wall paper paste! You should feel full for about six hours afterwards.

I would eat fruit rather than cereal/heath bars if you want to snack – just read the packet and see whether you want to eat what’s in them! Many of them have a lot of sugar in them, in particular glucose syrup which is always one to avoid.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

LPPSKrisflyer sorry about the misunderstanding btw i dont find porridge smells at all bad.. weird,, have you tried eating the m&s ones or adding protein powder like my boyfriend?

Martyn dont be fooled by some of these reports they change ever 5 mins, or perhap try the supermarket own brand ones K has been going for years. Go get a checkup from you dr and if he says ok then dont stop.The bars are fine as long as you dont eat them all the time but yes fruit is better.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Thanks for your concern BB. I have checks every 6 months + blood test. If the form has a tick box, I tick it, except the pregnancy one. Started when a medical caught some issues and Dr wanted to put me on pills which could have caused me a work problem. I asked for 3 months and managed to sort everything out including the start of the 4 stone diet, result no pills, no job issues and an extremely healthy diet which I thoroughly enjoy, but don’t waver from at all.

Relevance to the thread is that my regular hotels, include the cost of breakfast into my room rate and where I know I will be eating in, prepare food to order. Hence my love of Thailand, as I am extremely well looked after thanks to the SPG programme.

So, I am very proud to say that due to the Special K announcement and the assistance of one LPPSKrisflyer and the this wonderful forum, my diet is changing as soon as Mrs S can stock up on a suitable porridge.

HONESTCREW or RFergusson, what are my chances on BA or should I bring my own.??

Capedoctor
    Participant

LP, love the idea of taking a toaster with you! That truly defines a certain thriftiness I’ve never encountered.

Some of the bigger hotels in Vegas have coffee/ croissant takeaways I’m their lobbies as they realised that not everyone wants to have the full gut buster and they may as well cream some of the pie in rental, at least.

Changing it slightly, had an all inclusive breakfast at the table bay cape town that cost @$20 if paid for and would’ve been worth every penny. Spent a good 2.5 hours reading papers, getting over jet lag and watching the seals.

RichHI1
    Participant

As part of SPG rejig Starwood now offer free continental breakfast as anwelcome Amenity for all platinum guests. Not just use of a lounge with a free Danish.

skyguy79
    Participant

Travelodge Breakfast Bag only £4.50 !!

capetonianm
    Participant

Two middle aged German ladies I know were in Cannes (mistake number 1) and decided to have a late breakfast at the (mistake number 2) Martinez Hotel. The breakfast consisted of two very poor Club Sandiwches and two minuscule coffeees, served of course with the usual legendary French rudeness. They were presented with a bill of €96 for this. Assuming it was incorrect, they queried it, at which they got the usual French flailing of arms, wafting of BO and halitosis, and the shoulders shrugged above the top of the head – something only the French can do because they are spineless.

Being German, they stood their ground despite threats of police being called and demanded the Duty Manager. He came, and eventually the bill was reduced to €40.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 117 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls