The ever-rising cost of hotel breakfasts

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 106 through 117 (of 117 total)

• esselle
    Participant

Hi capetonianm

Your prices cannot be for like for like products, as Geneva would not be cheaper than Paris, and Helsinki definately not cheaper than Stockholm.

Worse than that, though, is if you order a Club Sandwich in the Sheraton at AMS, they stick you another 1.50 euros or so for some ketchup!!

RichHI1
    Participant

As a Starwood X Y & Z more cards than you can shake a stick at, I think Starwood properties in Europe are the worst for Frequent Business Travellers. For me US #1, then asia Pacific then Lat Am last Europe( no ME clients so far outside Israel and always stay non Starwood (local) in Tel Aviv at client request. None of my African cities have Starwood)

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Rich – “As a Starwood X Y & Z more cards than you can shake a stick at”

Sorry, I don;t understand. Which Starwood card level are you?

Also, I disagree – I find Starwood actually better than Hilton in Europe. I always get upgraded, usually to a suite, and I am only SPG Gold.

Simon

capetonianm
    Participant

esselle – 11/05/2012 16:23 GMT

The prices came off a survey, I assume that they were properly researched and bear some relation to reality.

There is only a few cents difference between Genevna and Paris and I spend a fair amount of time in CH and FR and generally find CH to be less expensive, and certainly better value, than FR. That is a bit of a subjective opinion admittedly.

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

In Amsterdam I tend stay at one of NH “secret hotels”or the Hampshire Group and usually end up in the Carlton where a typicaal breki is almost 20 eu.argg.The supermarket chain Piet Hein has however now opened lots of express places ..bit like Tesco and a good take away Coffee is 1 Eu with a hot croissant/pastry/sandwich for 1-2 eu

Then it back to the room to watch the BBC news.

Here in Bangkok the Honey Hotel in Soi 19 does a room with breakfast for about 15 quid a night…but I am sure that you all know that..

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I am sure the 24/7 below Robinsons will have an even cheaper breakfast and probably more tasty.

You are opposite my BKK home at the Westin (love that place)!

Have a great weekend!

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Purely for research purposes I took a walk down to Robinsons at Soi 19 last night.The underground supermarket “TOPS”was indeed doing well with very attractive food being served up but noticed that it shuts at 11-00pm (maybe new)
    Upstairs you still have a MacDonalds that open 24/7 as well as lots of new 7-11 and family marts ..again 24/7 so no need to worry about late night snacks.Westin car park full of top of the range Mercs as usual with lots of friendly people (ladies outside)taking the night air.Cool evening.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Esselle, I think I missed your post so a late response, but Caeptonian is right. I’ve often remarked to Mrs. LP taking breakfast in Paris that’s it’s more expensive than Switzerland. If I compare the Plaza Athenee with any Geneva 5* such as the Hotel Du Rhone, Hotel des Bergues etc I’d say Geneva is about 30% cheaper.

I know it sounds unbelievable but Geneva is a lot cheaper than Paris for many things, including meals, accommodation and so on.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Martyn, Terry, how does the Honey Hotel compare with the Westin? 😉

Great tip by the way Martyn, I think I’ll try it at some of my regular haunts.

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

A tale of 2 citys.
    Basically the Honey is from old Bangkok and the Westin very much of the new.
    Honey was built around the middle 60s and catered mainly for the yanks on r&r from Vietnam and in all that time has not changed much.It has all the basic setup including a nice wee swimming pool (wai nam)coffee shop,a/c in rooms and for around 15 quid a night including breakfast whats to say?
    I first went there around 1985 when Soi 19 was a dusty little road and not much there and have stayed many times since.Got house in Samut Prakan now so no need but still visit for coffee.
    The Westin on the other hand is very much an International 4-5 star and was built as the “Delta Grand” around the 1990s…almost watched it being built.The area has of course changed greatly with the Sky Train,Subway,new hotels ..Sheriton opp the Westin,Times Sq and recently the Super new Terminal 21 Shopping centre.
    All in all for a glimse at the old city …its still available ..but for how much longer?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

However much I love the Westin in soi 19, I wouldn’t class it as a 5 star hotel, rather an excellent 4 star.

Its generally slightly more expensive than the 5 stars in Wireless Road and by the river, simply because of its location to the sky train and all the excellent night life within walking distance. Combine this with the expansive number and range of restaurants around soi 19, including the new outlets in Terminal 21, makes the Westin or its sister hotel, the Sheraton perfect SPG hotels for BKK

This is also one hotel where the cost of breakfast doesn’t necessarily rise. Build it in your rate or for SPG Plat, its free.

For the record, I don’t work for the Westin, but if asked, I would!

Ramraideruk
    Participant

I would recommend that anyone staying in the UK to use Wetherspoons pubs (including LLoyds no1 bar). You will get a full English breakfast for between £3 and £4. Extra big breakfast for £1.50. Lavazza coffee for £1.
    Great value.

Viewing 12 posts - 106 through 117 (of 117 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls