Surprise Surprise?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)

• scott66
    Participant

I’ve got to weigh in with Anastasia, I found Berlin to be absolutely amazing, I went expecting it to be ordinary, it was vibrant, happy, clean, amazing architecture (new, old, communist and nazi era were all represented). Great Museums, great and inexpensive cafes and restaurants. I’m ashamed to say nearly everybody spoke perfect english. Fairly straight forward and inexpensive metro system.

openfly
    Participant

Dartmouth in Devon. No planes involved….heaven!

Str8Talking
    Participant

Bath_VIP

I was there at the end of August – certainly a few degrees warmer! Interesting plans – let’s see if the mayor pulls it off!

esselle
    Participant

Not far from Perth, WA, is the town of Freemantle. The main drag is a mix of bohemian, casual, open air living. Cafes, restaurants, markets, and, just a short train ride away, Cottesloe beach.

I would recommend this to anyone.

superchris
    Participant

Isfahan in the spring.

Binman62
    Participant

Tripoli in Libya was my biggest surprise. Quite simply the finest hospitality I have ever received anywhere, genuine in every respect.

Biggest disappointment…….any English seaside resort

capetonianm
    Participant

Probably Japan. Went with the greatest reluctance on a business trip, having had unpleasant experiences with Japanese people in various places. Found them quite the opposite of the stereotypes and left three weeks later with the greatest reluctance having found the country delightful.

Iran, run by a cabal of evil lunatics, but the ordinary people are some of the finest I’ve met anywhere.

Disappointing, South of France, the so-called tourist paradise. Choked with traffic, overpriced third rate restaurants, rude people, awful customer service and just generally unpleasant.

Rome, even filthier, full of aggressive beggars and prostitutes, and more run down than I expected

canucklad
    Participant

capetonianm…….Agree with you about the South of France……cross the border to Ventimiglia….and be very pleasantly surprised……

SimonS1
    Participant

Africa never fails surprise – I particularly like Lusaka and Accra with some of the friendliest people you will meet.

I always found Saudi to be far more positive than you might believe. Particularly outside of the cities, weekend camping trips which brought us into contact with the bedouin types, who whilst complete strangers who were only to happy to welcome us over a cup of tea.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

MarcusUK – 22/04/2013 17:46 GMT
    But Budapest always takes my breath away along the river, and the amazing medicinal use of the Mineral Baths around the city, over 100.

Agree entirely Markus, loved Budapest and only visited for the 1st time last year, for sure another destination I’ll go back to. Wasn’t so much of a surprise for me though, I kinda expected it to be good…..but yes, better than I expected would be my description of Budapest. (Have you ever done the segway tour around the city? Brilliant, and so much fun!)

Interesting to read a lot of other folks opinions of where surprised them, many of which I differ with! In fact, I’m rather surprised by some of the answers.

Did you see what I did there? 😉

Rgds.
    AOTG.

canucklad
    Participant

Very clever AOTG……

Please don’t leave us in suspense though…….

I’m going to add Hong Kong to the list……..Before I visited for the 1st time I assumed it would be just hustle and bustle…Oh the joys of Lantau !!

sparkyflier
    Participant

Great idea for a discussion AOTG – a great reminder of places we have visited, and also how fortunate we are to travel.

Surprises for me have been Kingston, Jamaica, where I was for nine days once for a conference and meetings. I was advised not to go in the centre, visit the market etc, and stay in the hotel and taxi etc, but I did manage to escape, and it was a joy. I visited the National Gallery of Jamaica and it was a gem with some fascinating works there.

Another trip was not so much of a surprise as such, but I was in Entebbe, Uganda, staying at the awful Sheraton – really shocking back in 2004/5. I was there for work meetings but at the weeeknd walked all around the town centre. A really charming place, lovely people and felt very safe indeed. The best part was the Taxi/minibus “park” – organised mayhem, but one felt so alive there. Also you have these huge birds (think 6+ feet wingspan) loitering on street lights, and if were in a path underneath, you would have to make sure you did not walk right under in case a “deposit” was made by these “pterodactyls”.Quite surreal seeing these hugh birds swirling above as I rushed to my meeeting with a suit on!

Agree with SimonS1 that some of the friendliest people on the planet are in Lusaka!

julmops
    Participant

For me, it has to be San Juan in Puerto Rico … I really didn’t know what to expect and I was blown away … It has the charisma of the Carribean with something a bit more “structured” than the neighbouring islands … The Old Town is gorgeous and I would have happily spent more time there but I was on a cruise so only spent a day …The biggest disappointment was Dublin … I was expecting something different … It’s actually a small city for a capital and I was generally underwhelmed …

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

julmops – 23/04/2013 11:50 GMT
    The biggest disappointment was Dublin … I was expecting something different … It’s actually a small city for a capital and I was generally underwhelmed …

Second on my list of surprising disappointments, julmops……

The west coast of Ireland is excellent though….we did a conference in Cork one year (which I know isn’t strictly west coast), I am told I had an absolutely amazing time…..all I remember is the monumental hangover post event.

Rgds.
    AOTG.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

canucklad – 23/04/2013 11:35 GMT
    Please don’t leave us in suspense though…….

Well, as you ask.

I’m surprised that the South of France has surprised many….I love the place and am there reasonably often, even Nice & Monaco I enjoy but the wee village of Eze is on my favourites list. Two Michelin star restaurants up there both of which are phenomenal, the views from Chateau Eza are the best dinner accompaniment I’ve ever had…..

And I am surprised by Vegas being a ‘nice’ surprise. Although, when I went I took my family and it really isn’t a family destination, in spite of the misinformation their tourism board was peddling at the time. I’ve little doubt I would enjoy it were I with a group of blokes all hell bent on partying for 3 nights or so.

Still, likely I’m too old for that nonsense now and would find myself tucked up in my gregarious suite by 23:00 dreaming of red, black, 21, neon and silicone.

Rgds…
    AOTG.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls