Surprise Surprise?

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Canucklad: Wishing you good weather – and much success! – at Punchestown. Enjoy!

TiredOldHack
    Participant

Binman62 – my Pa was British Ambassador in Tripoli in the mid-1970s. I loved the place. We all did.

Of course, the sods have burned our house out since those days…

Biggest surprise for me? Medellin, Colombia. Eye-wateringly lovely with all the flowers and orchids, and a perfect climate.

chrisdxb
    Participant

Venice was actually one of my biggest unpleasant surprise. I found it to be overpriced and overrated, feels like losing its charm and gradually becoming a mere tourist trap (even the locals can’t afford to stay there anymore).

Another unpleasant surprise – the Romans, which we found to be even more unfriendly and unwelcoming than les Parisiens (the staff at our hotel was an exception)!

For the positive ones – Frankfurt (for being waaaaay warmer and more original than we’d thought) and Mallorca, especially Palma (for its rich heritage and great shopping) and Port Soller (for its oldies charm and very, very friendly people).

capetonianm
    Participant

Venice is not a good travel experience. I recommend anyone who wants to see Venice, and it is a ‘must see’ (before it sinks) to stay in Padoa, which is lovely in its own right, less expensive, less crowded, friendly locals, and a 40 minute train right into Venezia Santa Lucia from where you can get the water taxi to San Marco.

Mickeyb4444
    Participant

Interesting thread, I agree with Lisbon, Freemantle and Berlin (didn’t really want to go there but it was a friend’s birthday trip, really enjoyed it). Sorry to read about Dublin as we’re off there this weekend for another birthday trip. Looking forward to Hong Kong for the first time this Summer and Singapore for the third time.

ErikGAndersen
    Participant

Not a surprise for me, because I have lived there, but TURIN (Torino) is always a surprise for people I take there. It has a reputation for being a dull factory town (FIAT, Pirelli, etc.), but it is Northern Italy, so things work, the Centro Storico is very nice (especialy the Quadrilatero Romano area), the food and wine is amazing (30mins to Barolo…), in winter, the Three Valleys is 1hour,15mins away (if you go to St John de Maurienne and take the lift up to the mountain above Val Thorens), great architecture and culture – and – IT IS NOT A TOURIST DESTINATION….

TiredOldHack
    Participant

Eric – very, very interesting to learn Les Trois Vallees is so close! Makes Turin a possible airport for the ski resorts. Is there a decent road to Val Thorens (or any of the other places at that end of the valleys)?

BeckyBoop
    Participant

One of my senior partners said to me Baghdad was one of his favourite places he ever visited and went up to 4 times a year. He found the people most welcoming and loving. This all prior to the 1st Gulf war.

carlton
    Participant

Nicaragua by a country mile. Was there in November last year and back two weeks ago. It has the diversity and nature like costa rica but less hectic and less exploited and offers some truly amazing experiences whether you’re looking to climb a volcano, surfing the amazing pacific waves or a visit to one of the many turtle hatching centres.

Cloud-9
    Participant

Most disappointing – Dublin. Thought there would be loads of culture and history. There probably is, but it is not presented well to the casual visitor.
    Best – Tbilisi. Ended up in a night club with a local guy called George (what else) and his two girlfriend drinking Russian Champagne and eating chocolates and pears. He would not take a kopek in payment.
    New Orleans. So much fasciniating and accessible history and culture. Great for all the family. Where else can you find a cemetery below sea level? Actually, probably Jordan, but!
    Jordan also very freindly and invitng. Very diverse country, from the desert of Wadi Ruum, the abandoned city of Petra, the modern bustlling Amman, and the experience of bathin in the Dead Sea.
    I found Cambodia a very forgiving country with a terribly tragic recent history. Ditto Vietnam.
    NYC. So much to do it would take a lifetime. Avoided it for years….

ErikGAndersen
    Participant

Yeah, Torino is definitely a good entry point for the ski resorts, especially the Italian ones, Sestriere and Cournayeur. The airport is full of planes in the winter, even easyjet started flying from London this winter.

If you want to go by car, reckon about three hours to any of the main site in the Trois Vallee, because you have to go all the way around, through Albertville and Moutiers. Good roads, but busy on the weekends.

What I did when I lived in Torino, was to take motorway up through the Freejus Tunnel to a place called Orelle, about 75mins from Torino. From there, there is a lift system up to Cime de Carron (3,200m), which is at the top of the Val Thorens valley. If you start early enough, you can do all the three valleys in one day without ever using a piste more than once and be back in Torino for dinner…

smith101
    Participant

Mexico City – went there at the start of a trip which would then encompass Guadalajara and Puerto Vallarta. Having read up beforehand, I was expecting to be mugged and/or kidnapped at every opportunity. Was therefore pleasantly surprised to encounter incredibly friendly people (who became even more friendly once they realised we were English and not American) and a vibrant, sophisticated city with great bars and restaurants.

canucklad
    Participant

Morning all & Binman in particular……..wasn’t going to bother but…..

Just a quick update…..due to some canny betting, didn’t lose my shirt, and a few more surprises to add…..

1) Managing to stay drinking in a pub where the owner felt it necessary to bar “The Rolling Stones” because they were too “Up themselves” on one of their visits……
    2) In another Naas pub, drinking out of the gold cup, that Quevega had won earlier in the day….The cup is apparently made of solid gold and worth an absolute fortune, but it’s just lying about the bar as if it was something out of a Cornflakes box….as everyone regales in celebration of this outstanding mare.

However, the main reason for the update is to clarify a point that Binman made….
    I am not a Celtic supporter…..unless their playing in Europe
    And one can not accuse me of being a glory hunter when it comes to the various teams that I support…..

Ice Hockey…..Vancouver Canucks & Canada
    Football………Hearts, Scotland, Vancouver Whitecaps & I’ve a soft spot for Sunderland & Brentford down south…..
    Rugby…….Boroughmuir & Scotland
    IRB 7’s……Scotland, Canada, Kenya & of course Hong Kong
    NFL………Seattle Seahawks…..MLB…The Blue Jay’s

I’m also going to add London to my list of being pleasantly surprised time and time again….

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls