Surprise Surprise?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)

• Anonymous

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Whilst chatting with handbag on the thread about cabin crew and where they flew to, I asked her if there was somewhere that took her by surprise.

Not necessarily somewhere obscure, just somewhere you’ve been that your didn’t expect to be good/bad but you found the destination took you by surprise.

A good surprise for me was Sydney. I went to visit with a good friend of mines on the way to Melbourne and found myself loving the place. Great food, amazing scenery and loads more to do than the obvious Harbour Bridge & Opera House.

A bad surprise was Rome. Too hot, too tacky and too “all over the place” for my liking…….. just not my cup of tea and I was so looking forward to my long weekend there. (Vatican was interesting mind you)

Is there somewhere you’ve visited which you found good or bad? *Edited to add: I’ve been to places I’ve enjoyed more than Sydney, so not wondering where you like or dislike as a destination, more of a “didn’t expect that”.

Rgds.
    AOTG.

My first visit to Berlin, everyone was so nice, so friendly and its such a lovely city. it would take weeks to look at everything. Really loved it, it’s surprisingly peaceful and not all-rush like so many other big cities.

lloydah
    Participant

Naples. Got soaked from the plane steps to the bus for the terminal. Got taken for a ride by the taxi from the airport (in both senses) It both snowed and poured with rain in a matter of hours and the hotel – a BMI recommended one – was absolute crap. Wife in tears. This was in the spring of 2005 . Herculaneum was a high point and well worth a visit as for the rest- never again. The flights, however were excellent.

canucklad
    Participant

Chicago and Toronto….for the same reason…

Would consider both destinations as vibrant city breaks, but add in the fact you could also put them into the “Beach resort” category…..

Beware the roller bladders though….

As for Minsk and Belarus……Bizarrely Brilliant!!!!

Port Douglas, Australia. Went for the beach, and proximity to Great Barrier Reef snorkelling. Discovered a delightful little town, and had great fun exploring the adjacent Daintree Rainforest. Turns out there’s much more to the area than Four Mile Beach (which is terrific).

canucklad
    Participant

Hi a_c-_t

Ditto Port Douglas, I can proudly boast…stretching the truth ever so slightly….that I’ve knowingly swam in a crocodile infested river up in Daintree….

However, it also falls into the disappointing destination because I couldn’t swim in the sea on my visit there….due to the jelly fish!!…and I’m a bit of a water baby so swimming was left to the pool !!

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

The USA. A long time ago, when I realised that most of the people live in strip towns and don’t know much about the world outside their parish or county.

As a Brit, one watches the big US TV programmes about New York, LA etc, but only when visiting backwaters did I find out that the majority of Americans have a very different lifestyle.

I have only been to the US twice in the last 8 years and these visits were in the last month; I’d forgotten how welcoming the majority of people were and how much I enjoyed being there.

Last Saturday, I had a plate of brisket and ribs in Jarrell (the town devasted by a tornado in 1997) on my drive to DFW and the food was fab, but the small town, optimistic, value driven, worldview of the people running this small cafe, was refreshing to a weary traveller.

lloydah
    Participant

I’m interested in seeing a roller bladder canuklad, stand aside or you get sprayed! 🙂

Bath_VIP
    Participant

FDOS,

Ditto on the brisket & ribs, in my case in a very non-descript bar just outside San Antonio!

Positive surprise was Las Vegas many years ago. I hadn’t wanted to go there and it never appealed but my father insisted and the rest is history.

Negative surprise. This is harder. One candidate is Rome which I find a very difficult city to navigate being partially blind due to poor pavements and driving. Another is Granada. I had been there before to the Alhambra palace but on my second visit, my friend and I walked around the city instead. The amount of graffiti was just shocking and totally detracted from what is an attractive city.

Hi canucklad. Ah, yes – Blue Bottle Jellyfish Season in Tropical North Queensland! Beware, indeed! I believe that’s their summer season (winter in the northern hemisphere). That’s when I was there, so I was very cautious. They had netted areas set up for swimming, but that’s not much fun. My understanding is that it’s not a problem in the opposite season.

You have courage the likes of which I can only imagine to swim in some of those rivers! Makes a good story, but please don’t tempt fate twice!

P.S.

Apologies – off-topic here, but am I ever looking forward to YVR this afternoon! Fourteen degrees and zero possibility of rain (if weather.com is to be believed). What a nice change – wouldn’t you agree canucklad?

canucklad
    Participant

Yes I would agree ACT. Jealousy agree as I’m freezin my but off in Scotland. Slightly back on topic.

It will be a pleasant surprise if the mecury levels rise for my trip to the Punchestown festival at the end of the week. An even bigger surprise will be not losing my shirt!

As for Ireland ( not Dublin). Its not a surprise. Its degrees of surprise,from eyebrow raising to jaw dropping astonishment! On every visit!!

Anyway enjoy Vancouver.

Str8Talking
    Participant

For me, a good surprise would be San Antonio, Texas. Was taken there by a friend as a day trip, without any expectations, and loved it. On a bright day the River Walk is buzzing without being crowded! I highly recommend a visit.

MarcusUK
    Participant

Nice choice for a thread…I lived in Sydney for 2 years so can appreciate your impression of it.

Thai Islands can be idyllic, especially in some of the National Martine Park areas, Ko Phi phi, places of Koh Samui.

But Budapest always takes my breath away along the river, and the amazing medicinal use of the Mineral Baths around the city, over 100. They are used like a GP service with lots of massage, and physical therapies, so many see Dr’s there. A very East European approach to holistic health, which we have lost in The West. The beauty of the architecture there walking around is stunning, tatty as the city can be in places. The Buda hills are stunning.

Lisbon is also stunning in culture, with the river and many great places to eat, especially towards the Bel’em Monastery and around there.

Both cities are so unique, and easily reachable for a weekend or few days break.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

Str8Talking

I was in San Antonio in January on a cold day so it was a bit quiet but I do agree about the Riverwalk, it is very impressive and I can see the potential for it to be busy on a hot day. Can also see the potential for a lot of people falling in the river as well but I dare say it isn’t that deep!

Apparently, the Mayor wants to extend the riverwalk all the way down to the Missions. That will be impressive if that comes off.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls