Signature Scents

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)

• jjlasne
    Participant

Bravo for the jeu de mot en franglais!

jjlasne
    Participant

The perfume at the Abercrombie & Fitch stores is so overwhelming that I avoid even walking by the entrance; otherwise I would suffer a mild asthma attack.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Talking of perfume, I enjoyed this article about British perfume in Management Today written by the excellent Oliver Bennett

http://www.managementtoday.co.uk/news/1323421/uk-perfumes-sweet-smell-success/

openfly
    Participant

Whatever the male cabin crew working First on the way to CPT recently had poured over himself….I hate!!!

In fact, as my drink, food and the whole cabin stank of his overpowering odour, I felt I had to tell him that it was offensive. I told the CSM and obviously he thought it was lurvely, and took no notice!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Like piped music, I intensely dislike any artificial pong that’s sprayed in Hotel lobbies, rooms or cars. Au Naturel, whatever that may be, is my preferred way.

jjlasne
    Participant

I do indeed miss stale tobacco smoke although some pipe smokers used to smoke some very sweet British or Dutch blend. Cigars are not bad either.

Charles-P
    Participant

The Intercontinental in Dubai – Festival City always has a lovely coffee smell in the reception area. Even though I am not a coffee drinker I find it relaxing and pleasant.

The worst was the Crowne Plaza in Geneva which always had a mouldy, old wood smell !

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I think canucklad hit it on the head.

For myself, I love the more natural smells often used in spas and some Asian hotels – particularly lemongrass which is perfect for that sort of setting I find such scents welcoming, and relaxing, but can’t say I have ever mentally made the link between a particular scent and a particular brand.

And, although it generally doesn’t affect me, some people can be very sensitive to smells, and chemicals smells in particular – the memsahib being one such sufferer. When she is sensitised (most commonly when she is vulnerable to a migraine attack, or is tired) then these can trigger her very severely and make her really quite unwell. Only this weekend she asked me not to use any aftershave balm (the one I use is very mild-smelling, incidentally) because she could tell that the slightest smell could trigger a migraine

So, although I like such smells personally, I must confess myself slightly surprised that the ‘elf’n’safety brigade haven’t banned them yet! And I certainly don’t support them being used in confined spaces where one has no escape – such as an aircraft

dsatrio
    Participant

I personally love the concept; I associate it with the positive (or negative) experience I receive, as some people pointed out that they immediately felt they have arrived ‘home’. But there are certain smell that these places use which I find to be quite off-putting and makes it hard to breathe. I think the key is to use it sparingly and make sure the space has proper ventilation that the smell doesn’t become assaulting.

DontTurnRight
    Participant

The Langham in London is always a favourite, with its own distinctive aroma.

At the other end of the scale a well known bank offered its Premier customers their own special fragrance a few years back. Don’t think it lasted for long.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls