Signature Scents

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I’m inclined to agree. If it was such a good idea, and did make us feel relaxed or heightened our pleasure (!) presumably we’d all have our own Signature Scents in our houses.
    Although come to think of it, maybe we do… we’re just not aware of it

Carajillo2Sugar
    Participant

I was going to propose ‘Habit Rouge’ by Guerlain, a classic created in 1965, but then realised I’d gotten the wrong thread…….

SuperSally
    Participant

Interesting question Tom.

I definitely notice signature scents or any scent for that matter, good or bad. Two in particular that stick in my mind for the right reasons would be the Sofitel at Heathrow T5 and the Hilton Syon Park London Hotel. Their scents subconsciously make one feel welcome and provide that all important positive first impression.

I would guess it’s a marketing strategy that most firms are catching on to. Supermarket chains have been doing this for years by pumping the store entrances with the aromas that come from their bakeries, and why not!? – Studies have proved over and over that exciting the senses of consumers is likely to have a direct correlation with increased sales and profits.

Travellator
    Participant

Has to be Shanghai Tang ! – Distinctive !

GreggyR
    Participant

I really like the scent of the bedrooms at The Grove in Watford. It’s very fresh linen-type scent, and I find it very relaxing. The bathroom toiletries by Espa are more spicy, and I find the combination of them superb. I look forward to staying there, and this is actually one of the reasons I choose it. If anyone knows what their room scent is I would like to know please.

Irons80
    Participant

I have noticed a lovely scent in the lobbies of the IC’s in Moscow and Tel Aviv… I don’t know if it’s a corporate / brand standard or just something particular to those hotels. It’s very pleasing to the nose, however!

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Signature skunks more like…. Anything that is ubiquitous enough to be sprayed/deployed anywhere and everywhere is most likely going to be cheap and rather nasty. Why cannot hotel chains and airlines desist from assaulting our olfactory organs with such chemical by-products and leave it up to us to determine whether we wish to augment or adulterate fresh air?

MrMichael
    Participant

Since the smoking bans in buildings came in over the world venues have had to use a fragrance of some sort to overpower the scent of other people’s armpits. Nicotine was a great scent.

stevescoots
    Participant

i do notice the scents but its never affected where I go or buy items from, guess I am immune to their charms!

FirstClassWannabe
    Participant

K1ngston – Thanks for that, I must remember never to buy any orchids!

MrMichael – Totally agree, nothing worse than the smell of dirty people.

esselle
    Participant

Shanghai Tang use their Ginger and Black Pepper room spray to perfume their stores. It really is a pretty powerful tool, equivalent to coffee and bakery smells as used regularly by retailers for whom they are an entirely natural by product.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

The Starwood Hotels brand W has a scent that can also be purchased.

“Release the sparkling fragrance of lemon and lime blossoms into your own private oasis. Our signature room scent provides a clean, playful fragrance that elevates your mood. Close your eyes and escape.”

$33.75

https://www.whotelsthestore.com/productDetail.aspx?room-scent

Hktbound
    Participant

Hi Tom
    I am one that loves the Shangri-la signature scent. Walking into the Shard for my 2night stay (and last month Dubai) I knew I was ‘home’ .
    Others scents I recall are COMO hotel toiletries (again distinctive and pleasant) and, Iberia apparently have their own scent on all their planes although I have yet to smell it despite being my local carrier.
    But for me it is the Shangri-la smell and unlike a previous poster it’s a positive experience.

canucklad
    Participant

I’m surprised more businesses don’t adopt this olfactory marketing strategy. It is after all our most powerful and emotive sense. A couple of years ago I needed to use the grubby little toilet in the pub at the Waverley, on entering and with one whiff I time travelled back 40 odd years into the cabin of an EAA VC10. And oddly the grubbiness dissipated.

But I suppose that’s the inherent risk in this venture For every positive association there is a chance of a negative association and the consequence of lost patronage. I would struggle to enjoy the company of a beautiful woman if she wore the same perfume of my lost love.

Another risk is the balance between subtlety and masking, as some have already pointed out, fag smell is disgusting, yet effectively masked even more abhorrent odours. Also , speaking as an ex retail manager I was never comfortable with the subliminal strategies used to free people of their hard earned cash. And even today resist the temptation to splash the cash on unneeded items.

So all in all, Iprobably resent this Derren Brown attack on my brains ability to decide my own fate. But then I regret not asking the barman were he purchased the time travelling scent.

Globalti
    Participant

I work in the industrial fragrance industry and you’ll be interested to know that perfumers have never been able to reproduce the aromas of fresh coffee, baking bread or a new car. All three are too complex and subtle for the available range of about 1600 raw materials, which is increasingly limited by over-zealous legislation from Brussells.

The only hotel where I’ve ever experienced a “signature” scent was the nice new Al-Salaam Rotana in Khartoum, which had a nice version of Bakhour from Al Rehab perfumes in Dubai, an appropriate smell because Bakhour means “Incense” and Sudanese are in the habit of burning incense in homes, shops, offices etc. Bakhour is actually descended from Quelques Fleurs by Houbigant, a lovely perfume.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls