Signature Scents

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

• Anonymous

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

We’re planning a feature on Signature Scents – those distinctive smells which are diffused in lobbies and public areas in hotels and which the hotels believe make their properties more distinctive and attractive to travellers.

So what do you think? Do you notice them? If you do notice them, do you find them attractive or irritating? Do you wonder what other odours they may be masking? Do you have any favourite / least favourite? And do you believe it’s possible that they influence, sub-consciously, your booking decision at a later date when choosing between two hotels in your travel programme / close to where you want to be in a city and one hotel name seems strangely more persuasive than another! Is it down to the scent?

I imagine this piece will have a punning title…..

Many thanks, Tom

DavidGordon10
    Participant

I loath them. They stink – worse, they can give me asthma. It is pollution, just as canned music is aural pollution.

I would never go back to such a hotel. It is on a par with charging for the wifi.

K1ngston
    Participant

I am in the Grand Westin in Bangkok currently and it smells likes someone has died in the lobby downstairs….. just saying!!

If you go to Abercombie shops they have a wonderful distinctive smell I like that dont know what it is but really really good

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Interesting – do you think the eau de corpse is the Signature Scent, or do you think that’s what hotels smell like when they don’t have a commercial scent piped around the lobby?

K1ngston
    Participant

Quite possibly. The smell is quite off putting, I have to be honest, so any other scent would be good at this time ….

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Kingston, do send my regards to all on floor 24…

If you were coming back to London, they are holding a replacement sim card for my Thai phone….

ENJOY – shame about the smell…

K1ngston
    Participant

MartynSinclair was just thinking of heading up there now for a bite to eat, I am going to be in the UK briefly next weekend for a family event if you would like me to pick it up and post it to you?? More than welcome to do that if you would like? Let me know and we can go off line

MartynSinclair
    Participant

that would be very helpful…

if you email me on martynsinclair @ h o t m ail.com I can send an email to the team on 24. You can mention to them that you can use my desk…. see it that raises a smile with them :))

Many thanks for your kind offer

Flyboy18
    Participant

K1ngston…..Abercrombie smells of Fierce…..their signature scent. You can buy it in store for about $55.

K1ngston
    Participant

Thank you scott72 I had no idea I do now and will get some the next time

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Interesting about Abercrombie & Fitch

“Behind-the-scenes diffusers have also largely freed Abercrombie & Fitch employees from spritzing the air with the clothier’s muscular array of colognes; the smells are pumped into the air full-time now. “

Mentioned in this piece here

http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/something-air-138683

Also says
    “Singapore Airlines uses a scent called Stefan Floridian Waters to perfume the cabins of its airplanes. Samsung has reportedly pumped the summery scent of honeydew melons into its New York flagship store, and British Airways diffuses the fragrance of meadow grass in business-class lounges. …”

FirstClassWannabe
    Participant

I stayed at the Shangri-la in KL and a sickly sweet smell hit you as soon as you entered reception. Fabulous hotel but would think twice about booking again.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Emirates have this corporate smell thing going on too, which I am not a fan of at all. It hits you as soon as you board their aircraft and it is in their lounges too.

It is instantly recognisable as EK’s stench though, which I guess is the point, but I’d rather they changed it.

Rgds.
    AOTG.

K1ngston
    Participant

FirstClassWannabe I know exactly what you mean but its the huge display of orchids that sits at the entrance there I asked the very same question when I was last there, the arrangement is spectacular but the smell certainly hits you

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls