Security and liquids

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 77 total)

• esselle
    Participant

FaroFlyer

The answer is so simple.

The best security is that which follows no pattern, has no routines, and which cannot be predicted.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=791864]FaroFlyer

The answer is so simple.

The best security is that which follows no pattern, has no routines, and which cannot be predicted.

[/quote]

The security experts I know (and we are talking major leaguers) would not agree with you – predictable security puts off most potential offenders and the really dangerous ones will find ways to circumvent it.

Bruce Shneier makes some good points in this article

https://www.schneier.com/essays/archives/2015/06/why_are_we_spending_.html

esselle
    Participant

Have to disagree with you on this one FDOS_UK.

The electric arches you pass through at UK airports have a random alarm activation feature, which triggers entirely random alerts. Even if there is nothing on your person which would normally activate the alert, it is triggered anyway. At random.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=791947]Have to disagree with you on this one FDOS_UK.

The electric arches you pass through at UK airports have a random alarm activation feature, which triggers entirely random alerts. Even if there is nothing on your person which would normally activate the alert, it is triggered anyway. At random.

[/quote]

Yes and all it does is waste people’s time. Might as well leave my belt and watch on etc and put up with the search.

Anyone who is stupid enough to be put off by this level of security is not a serious threat to air travel.

esselle
    Participant

Except the guy who got stopped in Manchester recently…..

FDOS_UK
    Participant

He wasn’t caught by a random arch check, though, was he?

I’m all for good, consistent, screening.

esselle
    Participant

I don’t know if it was a random arch check or not. But he was caught.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

It wasn’t. The device was found in his hand luggage according to media reports.

esselle
    Participant

In his hand luggage going through security screening.

Just been through security at CPH. Everything off; watch, belt, shoes. Well managed by cheerful staff and was wished a pleasant flight twice.

Reminded me of LHR (joking)

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Had my first crotch rub of the year yesterday in FRA T2. T1 this doesn’t happen. Instead of complaining, I told the guy how nice it was…. and he was not amused.

BA staff are still getting numerous complaints.

WillieWelsh
    Participant

Martyn, FRA is now my home airport and has been for the last six months.

This has never happened to me. Next time fly Lufthansa!

Wir wünschen Ihnen einen guten Flug.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@WillieWelsh – travellers complain about the inconsistency of security in the Heathrow terminals, but here is an example of inconsistency in the Frankfurt terminals, probably caused by the lack of sufficiently sophisticated screening equipment in T2.

T2 at FRA and the staff have the legal authority to stroke your crotch area (below and across) if a secondary is required. The BA staff know about this and have in the past been subjected to very intrusive searches, including a request for a female airline employee to remove her top (in private).

I fly from T1 very occasionally and this does not happen there.

Rather than complaining, I now take the view of making sure the operative knows I ENJOY the experience and it makes them feel very uncomfortable.

I do not accept in 2017 that there is a need for such an intrusive hand search when body scanners can reveal any items beneath the clothing line that could be a danger.

Apart from that, I enjoy FRA very much indeed…

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=792242]In his hand luggage going through security screening.
    [/quote]

You commented before on random arch alerts and that was what I specifically commented on.

They are a waste of time, in my opinion.

Good screening, however, is a different matter.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[quote quote=792252]Had my first crotch rub of the year yesterday in FRA T2. T1 this doesn’t happen. Instead of complaining, I told the guy how nice it was…. and he was not amused.[/quote]

[quote quote=792317]Rather than complaining, I now take the view of making sure the operative knows I ENJOY the experience and it makes them feel very uncomfortable.[/quote]

I often agree with you, Martyn, but not this time.

I am not up to date with current UK laws on the topic, but I have to say I would be wary of this approach lest you yourself be accused of sexual harrassment. If your “searcher” steps over the line, then complain to a supervisor. If he does not, then by deliberately making him uncomfortable for doing his job you are putting yourself at risk. Even if nothing could be proved, the hassle factor would far outweigh any momentary satisfaction you might receive at his discomfiture.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Thank you Ian, I will try to curtail my excitement in future.

At Heathrow and LCY, where the new style body scanners operate, in the event of a secondary search, it generally is only carried out in the area marked/highlighted by the scanner. On reflection I cant recall an intrusive secondary at Heathrow or LCY for some months.

FRA T2, does not yet have the new style body scanners, perhaps when these are introduced, the need for the intrusive body searches will cease.

To give the operatives a little credit, whenever a secondary happens in FRA, you are requested to face a camera so it is recorded. I have written and hand delivered comments about the wondering hands to the terminal manager at Fra, but never received a reply.

The BA staff (at Frankfurt) are fully aware of this continual problem and if they have no influence, it is highly unlikely a passenger will not either.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 77 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls