Security and liquids

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 77 total)

• IanFromHKG
    Participant

Unfortunately I don’t think written comments have much impact – they are too easy to ignore. Creating a scene at the time is the way to go. Complain politely but firmly (and at a decent volume without shouting) and demand to see the supervisor immediately, and refuse to move until s/he arrives. They then won’t have much option but to address the complaint at the time. But bear in mind it could mean a significant delay in boarding…

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Just came through security at T4 JFK and it was a breeze. Friendly personnel, belt stayed on and yes, I could leave my Samsung Tab in my carry on.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

LP – were you going through the trusted traveller or normal security channel? What was the liquid policy?

jsn55
    Participant

After all these years, I continue to be amazed at the Americans and the British who complain about airport security. It is what it is, it will probably never cease (where would all those security people find jobs?), so develop a thick hide to ignore it all or be like Martyn … have some fun with it. Personally, I enjoy overwhelming them all with friendliness and appreciation for ‘keeping us safe’. It makes me happy to think that I’ve reminded them that they’re human and maybe the rest of their shift will be a little brighter. Why use airport security as a tool to ruin a perfectly nice trip?

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Well hueyjudy, I agree with the need to be civil to security staff, but I do not find it easy, because procedures are inconsistent, often mindless, often devoid of any evidence they are doing any good, and sometimes delivered in an abusive way.

So, let’s keep on being civil but also keep on objecting to inconsistencies and keep on asking for evidence that all this security malarkey is doing anything useful.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

So, let’s keep on being civil but also keep on objecting to inconsistencies and keep on asking for evidence that all this security malarkey is doing anything useful.

+1

I had a cracker, on Friday. MAN T3, went through arch, not beep, female operative pointed in the general direction of the channel to retrieve bags from scanner.

As I walked through, a thug like (shaved head, well ‘ard attitude male operative) just put his hands around my collar and started a search.

Not expecting this, it came as a bit of a shock and I stepped smartly backwards and asked what he thought he was doing ‘search’ was the monosyllabic reply. He did not try to continue.

I reported him to the security manager and made it very clear that if it happens again, the police will be called and asked to investigate common assault.

canucklad
    Participant

My question to the security team at EDI is simply this.

On my last 2 visits I’ve been x-rayed, then “randomly picked” for the full body scan and then keenly frisked.

On both occasions they found nothing on me, after all, I’m now an expert at emptying everything from my person, and I mean everything, including chewing gum.

So my question is this, how reliable is this full body scanner if it still requires a vigorous pat down after all, its reached parts others can’t?

Another point, whilst I was being heavily patted down wearing a shirt, trousers, boxers and socks why were others wearing much more and carrying much more allowed to pretty much breeze through, even after they set the original x-ray off? Bonkers

LuganoPirate
    Participant

It was the normal security channel for Business Class travellers Martyn. In fact everyone was very friendly and smiling. I thought I was dreaming!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Going back to the original theme of this thread, why in the UK are we still being subjected to such ridiculous levels of scrutiny especially about liquids and the size of the plastic bags etc. If paranoid USA with all the rhetoric of immigration policy and the building of the wall, still feel able to reduce the airside to landside requirements, why will the UK not review certain requirements.

I am not suggesting we reduce the security levels/checking, but surely in 2017, with the advancement of technology, does it really matter if a plastic bag is the wrong size or whether a deodorant can is slightly bigger than what is allowed.

I know which shoes and belts I use which will or will not set of the security check machine. OK one in 10, I at get a random check, but why do I need to take my shoes and belt off when I know the machine wont highlight a problem.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I think it’s just sheer bloody mindedness on their part Martyn. And I’ve only come across this at LHR. I once had to remove my shoes. Fair enough and through the scanner they went. I was without socks and the floor was cold. The shoes passed through and were put on the side. I politely asked if I could have them and was told in a sharp voice to wait my turn. There were a few people in front of me.

I asked again explaining I was barefoot and was told most aggressively “I told you to wait so you’ll do as I say”. I then took a photo of my feet and the floor and was asked what I was doing. I said it will make a nice story for the Mail. In a flash, with a smile and almost apologetically she gave me my shoes!

I could go on with other incidences that make no sense but I’ll leave it for another day.

esselle
    Participant

I am fed up with the lack of shoe horns at security. If they are going to insist you take your shoes off, they should at least ensure you can put them back on afterwards without risking breaking the back of the shoe.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=794676]I am fed up with the lack of shoe horns at security. If they are going to insist you take your shoes off, they should at least ensure you can put them back on afterwards without risking breaking the back of the shoe.

[/quote]

Fully agree Esselle. Well said.

Kass
    Participant

Maybe FDOS_UK its because its their job, like mine is for me to do things that you prob would not like, but I am sure you would be the 1st person to moan if your aircraft was hijacked and you were late for some ” important ” meeting

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Thanks to CX’s amenity kits I have lots of small shoehorns – and there is always one in my bag!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=794699]Maybe FDOS_UK its because its their job, like mine is for me to do things that you prob would not like, but I am sure you would be the 1st person to moan if your aircraft was hijacked and you were late for some ” important ” meeting

[/quote]

Grow up. That line of ‘thinking’ is not worthy of the third form debating society.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 77 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls