Rude T5 Security Staff

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)

• openfly
    Participant

@LP .. SA security are excellent, especially in CPT and DUR. So practical and realistic. They never bother with bottles of water or liquids, never bother with laptops or iPads, seldom look at the x-ray screen, the pat-down, if necessary, is very cursory. Absolutely no dramas, so quick and very friendly. Once I’m through I often wonder if they shouldn’t tighten up a bit!

canucklad
    Participant

I’m with the majority here…. Never had an issue with security staff and occasionally it can be quite an engaging experience.
    Ultimately, it’s down to the mind-set of the individual.
    If someone just turns up for work, goes through the motions, doing the bare minimum , feeling disengaged because their getting paid peanuts to keep us save then you’re going to get a detached impersonal interaction. Sadly, if the security operative chooses this behaviour, they’ll just magnify their “bland personality” internally and dependant on the mood of their colleagues spread their characterless banality to those around. Only getting worse as their working day will seem to drag on and on and on, as self-pity waves over them .

On the other hand, if that same person, turns up in a cheery mood and actively starts to engage with passengers (even putting on a game face, if things away from work are not as they should be) then what should naturally happen is passengers should respond. That positive acknowledgement back, is great for self-esteem and should set the tone for a day that seems to pass quickly, and at the end of the shift a feeling of a job well done!

Which is why I always try and be friendly , although that approach can be tested at times.
    And why if I saw an incident that eselle did, I’d report it and suggest to the supervisor that they should be concerned about the mental wellbeing of the offending officer.

On Ian’s point about preparing, I wonder why the queue process creates a logjam at the machines. Surely it would be better if the trays became available 5 minutes before the your summoned through the x-ray machines.

capetonianm
    Participant

I must agree with the comments about security at ZA airports, they seem to have a sensible approach. CPT is the one I use more than any other, I don’t find them terribly friendly, some are quite sullen, but they are efficient and they don’t try to be difficult.

I had a good laugh going through emigration at CPT last year. The lady who checked my passport went through it page by page and said :
    “You have been to South Africa too many times in the last year.”
    I was a little perplexed and asked her why, as it was probably my sixth or so trip in the preceding 12 month period.
    “You are not allowed to come to South Africa more than 3 times a year.”
    She was polite and not confrontational, just ‘matter of fact’.
    I said I’d never heard of that rule, and it didn’t make much sense, and asked her if she could show me the rule or refer me to it.
    At that she turned to the other lady in the booth and said something in Xhosa, whereupon they both burst out laughing and I realised they’d been joking, but they both kept such straight faces as they did it.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The only way to speed security up is to either restrict amount of hand baggage (or charge for it) or to stop asking passengers to remove items for separate screening.

You will not teach passengers to prepare items before they get to the trays….

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=878702]Absolutely no dramas, so quick and very friendly. Once I’m through I often wonder if they shouldn’t tighten up a bit![/quote]

I’ve often wondered the same Openfly. They do ask if I have a laptop as I use a laptop bag, but I don’t, nor do I have to remove my tablets. However, they do take water bottles away at security for the European flights, but that’s it.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[quote quote=878717]On Ian’s point about preparing, I wonder why the queue process creates a logjam at the machines. Surely it would be better if the trays became available 5 minutes before the your summoned through the x-ray machines.[/quote]

IIRC they have just such a system at Geneva…

Nogbad01
    Participant

Maybe it was the same woman I saw bullying a poor old dear at T3 a few months ago.

I agree with the above posters about the first wing though. I always go through the passport e-gates and back up the lifts and into the first wing rather than go through the main security.

I do try and keep a relaxed attitude when faced with security wherever I go and have not (touch wood) been personally singled out for any abuse, but have definitely seen it happen to others.

FastFranky
    Participant

Doubt very much that the security staff have access to free tea and biscuits. In any event, telling a blatant lie is never to be recommended when dealing with security!!

Henryp1
    Participant

Can’t say I’ve ever had any specific poor interaction with the security staff, they may be fairly routine the way they work, but I see that as part of the role as they try to process large volumes of travellers as quickly and safely as possible. Yes there may be delays at times, but I just see these as part of the potential journey through the airport, as at times it’s swift, friendly and efficient too.

Krsnp
    Participant

My most pleasant – and thus memorable – experience dealing with an airport security staff member was actually in EDI earlier this year. We (mum & me) were in a hurry and thus didn’t pay much attention to what had to be taken out of our bags for inspection (e.g.: liquid, regardless of size). Guess we’re just so used to the comparatively lax security check here in AUH. Mum didn’t bring any liquid in her bag (imagine that!) but I did have my whole toiletries bag in, so I was asked to move aside and a female staff member politely opened my bag, looked for the said bag, took the (mini) containers out one by one, and after ensuring they’re harmless, put them all back in, closed my bag properly and wished me a good day!

I was honestly prepared to be reprimanded, or at least being sneered at, because 1) it was a busy period for them and the queue was quite long, and 2) We’re Indonesians, and mum wears a hijab (not trying to play a race card here – never did – but it’s a sad fact that there are people who would discriminate us based on our looks, including those who actually look similar to us).

I, of course, was really impressed, and did tell her how wonderful she was.

theworldtraveller
    Participant

When it happened to me, there is a managers desk (by the glass ballastrade, opposite when you finish security) whom you can report this to and they sorted it out straight away. It’s the only way to stop the rogue agents !

KennyK14
    Participant

I am on a personal mission to be cheery and friendly to security staff, whose job is not one that I covet.

Mostly, they respond positively, especially in European airports. The principal exception, as other posters have noted, is FRA, where I have to admit I have now given up (I must go through FRA around 12x/year).

UK is generally fine for me, including LHRT5, and even US seems mainly OK (apart from one seriously p**ed of agent in Detroit last year). Not sure that I completely agree re Australian airports, I feel that MEL lets the side down a bit.

alainboy56
    Participant

@FDOS_UK – I do like your expression – ‘PILLOCKS’ – haven’t heard or used that for donkey’s years (there’s another for you).
    For my ‘twopenyworth’, I am always well prepared with laptop/tablet out, belt off, all mobs/keys/watch/wallet etc in the jacket pockets, and when I arrive at the tray, its a quick 15 secs to remove shoes and jacket and through I go. I have got it down to a ‘fine art’.
    With the security personnel, have never really had any problems with them, they (might probably) appreciate that I am well prepared, I am always polite, and when there is some ‘idiot’ who is not prepared and keeps forgetting his keys/mobile/coins etc etc on the third attempt to pass the X ray, some little eye contact with them, to show that I really sympathise with them for dealing with ‘numpties’ (or should I say ‘Pillocks’ FDOS_UK) like that, also goes down well.
    However when can we expect automated security screening, in this modern world technical world we live in today?????????????

Montysaurus
    Participant

[quote quote=879528] @FDOS_UK – I do like your expression – ‘PILLOCKS’ – haven’t heard or used that for donkey’s years (there’s another for you).

For my ‘twopenyworth’, I am always well prepared with laptop/tablet out, belt off, all mobs/keys/watch/wallet etc in the jacket pockets, and when I arrive at the tray, its a quick 15 secs to remove shoes and jacket and through I go. I have got it down to a ‘fine art’.

With the security personnel, have never really had any problems with them, they (might probably) appreciate that I am well prepared, I am always polite, and when there is some ‘idiot’ who is not prepared and keeps forgetting his keys/mobile/coins etc etc on the third attempt to pass the X ray, some little eye contact with them, to show that I really sympathise with them for dealing with ‘numpties’ (or should I say ‘Pillocks’ FDOS_UK) like that, also goes down well.

However when can we expect automated security screening, in this modern world technical world we live in today?????????????[/quote]

I haven’t heard the excellent word pillock for years. What an informative site this is. On the subject I don’t ever recall any hassle in my 30 odd years of flying.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=879528]However when can we expect automated security screening, in this modern world technical world we live in today?????????????[/quote]

Hopefully never — a well trained security operative has something a machine can’t replicate —“Gut Instinct”

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)
This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.
The topic ‘Rude T5 Security Staff’ is closed to new replies.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls