Rude T5 Security Staff

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)

• esselle
    Participant

I came through T5 last night, transferring in from a flight that arrived in T4.

The lines seemed to be moving well, but there was one female security worker who was incredibly rude. She was standing at the point where pax unload their belongings into trays; one lady passenger was doing just that, and seemed unsure as to what to put in which tray. The security worker shouted “two trays not one”, which was met by a bewildered look from the lady passenger. So the security worker helpfully shouted “ I said two trays not one. Don’t you understand simple English?”.

The poor lady concerned was obviously a visitor to our country, and evidently did not understand a word of English. Things eventually resolved themselves, but I went to find a supervisor to report what I considered to be unacceptable rudeness. I couldn’t find anybody who seemed remotely interested.

3 users thanked author for this post.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

…with so much about LHR why am I not surprised?. And Esselle had you stepped forward and reprimanded the miscreant worker you can guess the reaction namely calling a police officer because you had offended her!!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Part of the reason as I mentioned in an earlier thread why I hate LHR.

Reminds me though of my long deceased Grandmother. In Boots she wanted to buy something and hadn’t noticed the price. On enquiring the assistant answered “the price is in front of you, can’t you read?”. Of course she could but answered sheepishly, no she couldn’t. Cue apologies, the manager coming down to again apologise profusely, gave her a cup of tea and biscuits and made a general fuss of her, which my Grandmother loved of course. On leaving the manager gave her the item she was enquiring about as a gift. Really touching.

Nothing like that from security at T5 I’d imagine?

capetonianm
    Participant

I went to find a supervisor to report what I considered to be unacceptable rudeness. I couldn’t find anybody who seemed remotely interested.

I hope you’ll follow it up and report it in writing with full details which should be enough to identify the woman concerned. If you’d said anything to her, you would have got the standard “I don’t have to take abuse from you” line which they love to trot out.

1 user thanked author for this post.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

I wonder what the reaction would be were a customer, witnessing a rude worker, particularly on an older person, carry out a citizens arrest on the security worker for a breach or potential breach of the peace. Under common law it is possible!!

openfly
    Participant

Of course, if the rude security lady is from an ethnic minority the police would appear and take you away for being racist if you dare to complain!! I am so careful, and afraid, that the race card will get played.

FrDougal
    Participant

I must admit I rarely ever come across rudeness from the security staff in T5 despite the regular moaning on here about the so called “goons” (seriously folk, you are meant to be educated people, why use such a horrible word?).

However I did once pass through T5 security one evening to witness three staff having a full blown debate about how they all dislike homosexuals and why they would go out of their way not to work with any. This whole conversation held in full ear shot of Joe Public. It was as if they assumed no one spoke English.

Well after my rage had cleared and I started to think clearly I decided no point in saying anything to the ignorant as it would just fall on deaf ears, instead I took note of the security lane I had passed through (all numbered and clearly visible), took to Twitter, Facebook and a very detailed email to Heathrow Airport including the exact time and full descriptions of both the dialogue and individuals involved.

Apparently none of the three people involved are still employed at the airport and the incident is now used as part of training.

So in future if you experience a problem just record the exact time, lane number and take to certain channels to report it.

FrDougal
    Participant

Sorry duplicate

esselle
    Participant

For light hearted balance, I did once overhear a conversation between two security staff at LHR. One said to the other “…dem birds last night was amazin’ innit…”

I so wanted to ask him what he meant, but managed to resist the temptation.

FrDougal
    Participant

[quote quote=877939]Of course, if the rude security lady is from an ethnic minority the police would appear and take you away for being racist if you dare to complain!! I am so careful, and afraid, that the race card will get played.[/quote]

Really? Ridiculous. Only person bringing race into this is yourself. I pass through T5 security at least 4 times a week and never witnessed any fear of such.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The only place in T5 where you are greeted with a smile, quick & pleasant security experience is the new T5 First Wing (and I accept not all will have access). When I am in transit in T5, I will always exit airside, take the lift to the 5th floor and renter through the First Wing.

But… T5 isn’t the only place in the world with rude security staff, try Frankfurt…

On a positive note, I find HKG a world apart from Heathrow – all very polite, helpful and welcoming…

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Well, this reminds of a previous experience at Beijing Capital of being (with my white Caucasian male colleague) the only two to be pulled out of the line and made to remove all items from our carry-ons and then be subjected a very thorough body frisk. Racial profiling? No never.

Mind you, that was preferable to being told at Sydney Kingsford Smith, after having completed the usual security procedures, that I would now be subject to a full body/strip search including internal cavities…. Then being told that this was “a joke”. My appreciation of this Australian attempt at humour was sub-zero.

Somehow, I doubt that either would be considered acceptable at Heathrow.

JJ
    Participant

I find all security staff to be very robotic and detached in general if you see what I mean.

Only a few exceptions. T5 last year when the 2 youngsters working the line actually enquired where we were going and said ‘Ah sounds nice, wish I was going on holiday’. The other was Bucharest Airport where they were really quite bossy and agressive.

Also fail to see the point of premium security at Gatwick. Still queuing but with one queue instead of 10!!

capetonianm
    Participant

I agree, although as I am not a BA fan, I have only used T5 infrequently over the last few years, maybe 5-6 times a year, I have only once witnessed anything other than polite behaviour from the security operatives there.

It was a particularly unpleasant incident though. I was behind a well-dressed white middle-aged English speaking couple (just mentioning that so nobody could be accused of ‘racism’). The lady was picked out from the queue for an extra search, she responded politely and was cooperating, and her husband, who was waiting while this took place, was told to ‘take a hike’ in a very aggressive and confrontational manner. When he challenged the woman who’d said this (maybe it was the same piece of work!) she told him he would be ‘arrested’ for obstructing her and that she could make sure that they would both miss their flight.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=878008]The only place in T5 where you are greeted with a smile, quick & pleasant security experience is the new T5 First Wing (and I accept not all will have access). When I am in transit in T5, I will always exit airside, take the lift to the 5th floor and renter through the First Wing.[/quote]

Me too

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.
The topic ‘Rude T5 Security Staff’ is closed to new replies.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls