Rescue flights

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

Lufthansa has flow at least 5 times this week to New Zealand via Bangkok with 380s and 747 flights to bring tourists home.
    Startlingly (at least to me) and according to NZ media there is still some 220,000 foreign tourists there. It seems that many thousands are happy to stay until he situation improves in Europe and the US.
    Many of these tourists must logically be British yet I have seen no BA flights to bring them home or any mention in the UK media of tourists there wanting to be repatriated. There are much worse places to be and perhaps they are happy to be in NZ at the moment where the virus is well under control?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Though I’ve never been, I’d also be happy to be stuck in New Zealand! I even wish we’d stayed in South Africa!!

Last night the Edelweiss repatriation flight WK85 flew right over our home on the way back to Zurich. It was actually nice to hear and see (well at least see the flashing red light) an aircraft. haven’t seen one for weeks now.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Not reported much in the UK, if at all, is that Germany’s govt has also charted flights from Air NZ.

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/press-release-2020-first-air-new-zealand-repatriation-flight-takes-off-for-frankfurt

But these flights are not taking back Kiwis stranded in Gremany according to reports.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12323271

And a couple of days ago Swiss operated a B777-300ER repatriation flight from NZ routed AKL-BKK-ZRH.

Info tweeted by @LX_Newsroom on April 8.

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Be happy to try one of these famous british repatriation flights from LoS…back to Blighty but cant see any …They must exist because FCO Minister Khun Raab has made available 70 Million pounds to facilitate…said Dunkirk style operations.Only thing is I would need a return..say a couple of days later…?…krup…

nevereconomy
    Participant

Regarding BA not offering NZ flights, wonder if they are leaving this to QR as they have the transit already in place – presumably BA would have to negotiate that somewhere. There are 2 QR flights into MAN every day ( I think) at the moment and would imagine these are mostly repatriating passengers.

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Appear to be Standard Commercial Flights…might me wrong..but….fio..
    Auckland Manchester….Total duration :27h 10m
    DepartureSat , 18 Apr 2020…………..14:45AKL
    Auckland, Auckland Airport………..New Zealand

17h 50m…….ArrivalSat , 18 Apr 2020….23:35DOH
    Doha, Hamad International Airport…Qatar
    QR 0921,Boeing 777-200LR.logo Operated by : Qatar Airways
    Connection time 1h 55m…DepartureSun , 19 Apr 2020
    01:30DOH
    Doha, Hamad International Airport….Qatar

7h 25m…..Arrival…Sun , 19 Apr 2020
    06:55MAN….Manchester, Manchester Airport
    United Kingdom
    QR 0021, Boeing 787-8 logo Operated by : Qatar Airways
    https://booking.qatarairways.com/nsp/views/fafiIndex.xhtml#….Econ..2392 NZD…..Business…5685..NZD..

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=996176][/postquote]

Not sure what point you are trying to make but they are repatriation flights. NZ Government has permitted an extra rotation from Auckland and also flights from Christchurch to help get stranded foreigners home.

https://www.flightglobal.com/airlines/wellington-clears-extra-qatar-airways-flight-for-repatriation/137686.article

https://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/news/national/qatar-airways-flying-christchurch-to-paris-for-repatriation-flight/

canucklad
    Participant

I was listening to a Glaswegian ladies tale of woe on Radio Scotland this morning,
    She recounted the effort required to get herself and family home from Pakistan .

This included ….
    Having to avoid unscrupulous travel agents who’ve created a thriving local industry in selling tickets to desperate Brits for seats that don’t exist.
    Receiving FCP emails that were as useful as a fart in a spacesuit
    Ignoring local lockdown rules to travel to the nearest big city ” Lahore “ to try and negotiate travel, F2F with PIA only to be rudely told, we’re closed after a day’s waiting in a crowded office in anticipation .
    She then created a Facebook page for Pakistani Brits stuck ,and ended up trusting a poster ‘s recommendation for a travel agent.
    Tickets in hand the family had to again travel the considerable distance to Lahore Airport , due to domestic flights being cancelled at the local airport.
    First time of trying PIA rejected the tickets because they weren’t issued by PIA.
    Second time of trying and a different PIA agent accepted the valid travel agency tickets for the full flight home.

Happily they’re now all safely back in Glasgow ( avoiding the obvious dig from someone who lives in the east ) enjoying the Scottish lockdown instead !

1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

I see Titan airways have two flights in the air going out to ACC, one from Heathrow and one from Stansted. Presumably these are rescue flights.

SAA seem to have quite a few rescue flights between mainly South Africa and Germany. I suppose they need to to get some revenue in before they close their doors, they will need to pay the ANC greedy boys.

capetonianm
    Participant

One of the Titan Airways flights (A318) is going down to St. Helena with medical supplies and the 320 is going back to LPA, perhaps a tech stop on the way to LON.

cwoodward
    Participant

Cathay Pacific will operate minimum 5 rescue flights to LHR from New Zealand (Auckland X 3 Christchurch X 2) later this week and Monday of next.
    Source: Foreign and Commonwealth Office

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=996299][/postquote]

Isolated Saint Helena Gets Swanky Rescue Plane

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls