Rescue flights

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)

• ASK1945
    Participant

SimonS1 wrote:

” ………………………….. On costs, not convinced that the tax payer should be on the hook. Some people travelled knowing the situation was deteriorating and others have chosen to live their lives elsewhere. Honestly I find it strange that someone would live in Peru for 5 years, contributing to their economy and then expect UK government to step in.”

Whilst I totally agree with you that people who have chosen to make their lives abroad, as one example, those who have moved to live in Spain, should not be subsidised by the UK taxpayers for their return to the UK, the reality is that the position is not clear or binary. Many of those abroad are there for business reasons, to assist UK firms which bring money into the UK – again as just one example, the oil industry. Others are there as part of our obligations under International Development, or for a gap year (which contributes to their personal development). I am sure that there are many other legitimate reasons for people being abroad I haven’t even touched upon, for whom we owe an obligation to assist them to return.

It is a very complex matter for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office to sort out quickly. My own intervention in this debate was targeted on the recklessness of a group of older ladies who chose to go on holiday to Asia at a time for which they should have known better.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=995367]However I am surprised as I thought the flights were for stranded holiday makers alone?[/quote]

K1ngston – indeed as I thought. Yesterday on Sky News (i cant find the video from sky news) a couple were interviewed from Spain. Admittedly, they were disabled (not sure to what degree), but they had ‘recently’ flown out to furnish their new flat, which looked pretty well furnished. Adam Boulton asked her why was there an urgency for her to return to the UK. Her answer, words to the effect, I have to pay £75 per month for my medication here, they are free in the UK….. nothing about wanting to be close to family (who they couldnt visit anyway).

Had I been caught on Thailand and unable to return – be assured I would have taken you up on your offer to visit your home to hunker down. I am sure there would be plenty of food, drink, good weather, peace and tranquillity plus a cardiac medic on hand to provide any medical assistance needed.

Stay safe my friend and BT forum was a great place to meet you.

2 users thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

MartynSinclair wrote:

” ……………. Stay safe my friend and BT forum was a great place to meet you.”

I can fully support those wishes, Martyn. Having travelled frequently during my career, I found it difficult to give up upon retirement and my wife and I go on overseas holidays about 4 or 5 times a year. We have already lost one, and are about to lose another (in July) we believe. We have 3 more booked after that, spaced out 3 monthly. Losing any, or indeed all of these, is nothing compared with what so many people will have lost before this all returns to normal – family member(s), friends, jobs, homes, businesses, savings etc, etc.

But, reading all the erudite posts, opinions, experiences, answers on this forum has brought great solace to (at least) me.

3 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=995384]any of those abroad are there for business reasons, to assist UK firms which bring money into the UK – again as just one example, the oil industry. Others are there as part of our obligations under International Development, or for a gap year (which contributes to their personal development). I am sure that there are many other legitimate reasons for people being abroad I haven’t even touched upon, for whom we owe an obligation to assist them to return.[/quote]

I thought the main objective for privately owned companies like the oil industry was to make profit for shareholders, and many of them pay their taxes locally. No problems with assistance but I would say that is a business cost not a taxpayer one.

Gap year, maybe, but don’t you take travel insurance as a precaution?

1 user thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Switzerland does not repatriate it’s citizens. To quote the embassy: “We would also like to point out that the decision to leave South Africa is at your own discretion and your personal responsibility. On Monday, 16 March 2020, the Federal Council advised to refrain from non-urgent travel abroad until further notice and is asking Swiss travelers to return to Switzerland. Please note that there is no legal entitlement to repatriation organized by the Swiss representation”.

However, they have now organised a flight for this week, giving priority to Swiss living in Switzerland. You have to book a place and will be invoiced for it after your return. They don’t give a price, but only say it will be according to the market! Whatever that means??

Nothing new here. Some years ago two Swiss journalists were held hostage by a Kurdish group. The then Swiss president, Flavio Cotti, flw down in the government jet and secured their release. He offered them both a lift back to Switzerland. One accepted and the other refused as he had other travel plans. A month after he returned with Cotti, the journalist received an invoice for CHF13,000 for his share of the flight. Only in Switzerland! 😉

3 users thanked author for this post.

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=995396][/postquote]

As you know Martyn my house is always open to you at anytime, and we would have visited the local Off License to ensure your stay was well catered for 🙂

As for meeting you, the pleasure is all mine, and how bizarre it was in BKK and not in NW London where our families have intertwined lives. You too take care mate, be good, be safe and most importantly be careful … the same to everyone on this Forum

7 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

What a lovely, uplifting series of postings by K1ngston and Martyn, showing the generosity of spirit and human kindness that online forums should demonstrate more often.

My best to both of you, and everyone else, from my lockdown, not in a great place, a hospital in fact (nothing to do with CV). I am having the best treatment anyone could wish for, from the kindest and most professional medical teams, a lovely room with a view, and my gratitude cannot be expressed in words. However the food is truly vile and I will never ever complain about airline food again, not even in economy class, given that we can survive without food for even the duration of a long haul flight, but not for weeks.

I too have had the pleasure of meeting someone from this forum under the best and happiest of circumstances and although neither of us are frequent communicators (!) it reminds me that I owe him an email. When this madness is over, I look forward to our next meeting.

1 user thanked author for this post.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

Writing from Ghana, the High Commission here arranged and got permission for a repatriation flight last weekend. Their clear priority was UK citizens ‘normally resident in the UK’ as opposed to expats and longer-term overseas residents. Their vetting process checked on people’s bona fides. I gather the cost was 500 GBP (flat rate) per person.

I think there are still quite a few who did not qualify or manage to get on the flight, who would still prefer to repatriate and the HC is still working to arrange another flight. But I think their prioritisation process was fair and there has to be a limit to their responsibilities, particularly for people who, essentially, are often just looking to optimise their heathcare options. There are also plenty here who have dual UK/Ghanaian citizenship, so should their services extend to them as well? I think not, in the current situation.

Anyway, we continue to hunker down here and hope for the best!

4 users thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=995414]Switzerland does not repatriate it’s citizens. To quote the embassy:[/quote]

Not sure what was inappropriate about the above post??

GivingupBA
    Participant

ASK1945 said “I have no personal problem with the UK taxpayers funding flights to repatriate our nationals back to the UK, albeit the passengers are being asked to pay the usual flight costs they would have had to pay commercial airlines. That is the right and proper thing a country should do.”

I completely agree, and certainly it’s the right thing to do. However, passengers have to pay for these flights. So let’s not call them “rescue” flights (people do not pay cash for rescue in the UK whether from police, fire, ambulance, or Mountain Rescue services). Let’s call them “extra” or additional” flights. I suggest that a “rescue” would be free – and these flights will not be free. Thank you.

As a side note, I live in the UK but am in South Korea right now. I want to stay here for a bit (anyway the airline I came here on has cancelled all their London flights at least through April).

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=995414]However, they have now organised a flight for this week[/quote]

Just learnt that due to “administrative hurdles” the flight has been postponed till April 9th. Seems it will be operated by Edelweiss.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

… and KLM

AMcWhirter
    Participant

It’s reported there are 12,000 German nationals stranded in New Zealand.

The German govt is chartering a number of Air NZ B777 flights to bring them home.

First flight has already departed.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/120811357/coronavirus-first-air-nz-repatriation-flight-to-germany-takes-off

There are 1,000s of UK nationals also stranded there …

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=995494]o let’s not call them “rescue” flights (people do not pay cash for rescue in the UK whether from police, fire, ambulance, or Mountain Rescue services). Let’s call them “extra” or additional” flights. I suggest that a “rescue” would be free – and these flights will not be free. Thank you.[/quote]

I believe the government term is repatriation flights. “Rescue” is media reporting, they love the more sensational lines.

Emirates is starting up a 4x a week London flight next week to return people to UK. This will be open to one way travellers – so passengers and cargo to London, but only cargo in return.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[postquote quote=995542][/postquote]

Thank you for that, a useful correction. I see now that “rescue flight” is a common term in the media, whereas the FCO talk about “special charter flights” which is an accurate term, I think.

(Business Traveller also uses the term “rescue flight”, of course.)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls