Rescue flights

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

We have been writing about these in news, but there are some good examples of other airlines as well…

Lufthansa

Austrian Airlines

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

That OS 777-200 operated *non-stop* VIE-SYD. I believe it’s the first time a 777 has flown non-stop between Europe and Australia. The return OS flight operated with a stopover in Penang.

rferguson
    Participant

The one I found interesting was the WAMOS 747.

It flew Madrid – Guatamala City – San Salvador – San Pedro Sula – Madrid.

A 51 year old DC8 operating as a ‘mobile hospital’ flew from Greensboro, North Carolina to Verona, Italy. It is operated by Samaritans Purse, a medical charity.

Wizz Air flew a cargo flight on behalf of the Hungarian govt from Budapest to Shanghai via Nur-Sultan and Irkutsk.

Air Baltic a wee lil A220 from Riga to Urumqui, China. Again as a cargo service on behalf of the Latvian govt.

El Al operated repatriation flights from TLV to Costa Rica, Perth and Bogota.

And LH had a one off flight to AKL via HND.

rferguson
    Participant

[quote quote=995239]I believe it’s the first time a 777 has flown non-stop between Europe and Australia.[/quote]

Not 100% certain but pretty sure BA operated a 777 non stop LHR-PER years ago with HRH the Queen on board.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

According to Sky News yesterday, they have estimated there could still be between 400,000 and 1 million Brits still trying to get home from around the world. Even at the lower number, I am not sure how this will happen, in an effective, and safe manner.

rferguson
    Participant

[quote quote=995245]According to Sky News yesterday, they have estimated there could still be between 400,000 and 1 million Brits still trying to get home from around the world. Even at the lower number, I am not sure how this will happen, in an effective, and safe manner.[/quote]

Yes the numbers are a very grey area. My neighbour just had her daughter return from Peru – where she had been resident for five YEARS. But apparently she wasn’t confident in the Peruvian authorities being able to deal with a COVID-19 outbreak so decided to jump at one of the ‘repatriation’ flights.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“where she had been resident for five YEARS” – now I can understand. So it’s not just tourists, but also ex-pats who may be long term residents overseas. I think it will be physically impossible to get them all back. Perhaps the advice in some cases should be to hunker down where they are… especially if the ex-pats have their own homes, where they are living. Not being insensitive, just realistic.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Swiss (LX) operated a rescue B777-300ER flight to Santiago de Chile.

LX has just tweeted ( @LX_Newsroom ) that one of its B777-300s brought 216 stranded passengers back to Switzerland from Bangkok. That means a load factor of not much in excess of 50 per cent.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=995241]A 51 year old DC8 operating as a ‘mobile hospital’ flew from Greensboro, North Carolina to Verona, Italy. It is operated by Samaritans Purse, a medical charity.[/quote]

37 year old 737-200 sent on a rather tortous journey from Canada…

Canada’s Fascinating Rescue Flight To Morocco

2 users thanked author for this post.

ImissConcorde
    Participant

rferguson You surprise me! The Queen is HM!

rferguson
    Participant

[quote quote=995270]rferguson You surprise me! The Queen is HM![/quote]

I always wondered why I wasn’t selected to work that flight! LOL.

Sorry. Royal families are a non existent feature in my home country. 🙂

4 users thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

[postquote quote=995258][/postquote]

I have no personal problem with the UK taxpayers funding flights to repatriate our nationals back to the UK, albeit the passengers are being asked to pay the usual flight costs they would have had to pay commercial airlines. That is the right and proper thing a country should do.

But mixed in with this are people who are having to be repatriated, who are the architects of their own misfortune. The newspapers this morning had a story about four ladies (between 68 and 78 years of age) who flew out to Bangkok on March 17th (the day of the lockdown) to celebrate the 70th birthday of one of them. We 70+ years old people were told to lockdown well before they left.

9 users thanked author for this post.

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=995253][/postquote]

Martyn, as an ex pat myself living in Thailand, for me its probably safer to be here than to repatriate home where I would have to go into immediate 14 day isolation and with no home etc it is far better for me to remain in my current home. Align this with the fact the numbers being reported in the UK far exceed anywhere here in Asia now! However I am surprised as I thought the flights were for stranded holiday makers alone?

2 users thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

… and Air France

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=995245][/postquote]

To be honest, it probably won’t. Many of those people will be quite happy where they are – UAE, parts of Asia etc and will therefore sit it out.

Of course the media love to dramatize it all, both the number of people allegedly stranded and the daily stats.

On costs, not convinced that the tax payer should be on the hook. Some people travelled knowing the situation was deteriorating and others have chosen to live their lives elsewhere. Honestly I find it strange that someone would live in Peru for 5 years, contributing to their economy and then expect UK government to step in.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls