Recognition at two million CX miles?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)

• nibbler
    Participant

I terribly miss the CX790 BOM-BKK flight on the a330; it was a blessed relief from flying indian carriers on short haul 737 / a32x’s. Nightmare departure time from BOM but always managed to sleep on the old recliners…

Ekond222
    Participant

Hi Ian it’s heart warming to hear that CX have indeed over the years recognised your loyalty by inviting you to various events.

I would be surprised if they hadn’t – again CX are very diligent in the execution of recognition of customer loyalty.

As per Henry and Peter and as your thread is centred on a ‘Two million milestone’ what is the actual milestone attained? thus estimating miles actually flown on CX metal to realise said milestone.

After all Marco Polo/Asia Miles in my opinion is the market innovator in the accumulation of miles via so many avenues – hotels, banking, shopping, restaurants, mobile phones etc as well as not only alliance partners but other airline partners. – effectively a one stop shop in terms of amassing CX miles – which is great if you live or are based in HK

For example my brother who lives in Canada has amassed over 1.8 million miles via BA exec using a particular credit card optimising certain purchases over a 20 year period – but has only ever purchased a handful of BA flights – he is a AC elite star alliance groupie- I don’t think he is expecting any recognition when he hits the two million threshold.

Personally I have not flown down the back of a aircraft since the early nineties – so I will take your word on that experience.

My accumulation miles has been at 100% + class and tier bonuses. – (not sure how a 25% award is accumulated), which is the bulk of the 3 million+ miles accumulated on BA – but only over million miles flown – which I believe should be more than what is displayed on the dashboard as there are missing flights – but I’m past caring.

After all there are Tesco shoppers who have had holidays of a lifetimes that have flown Concorde and 1st class long hauls by amassing points and converting them to miles and good luck to them.

Sincere congratulations on the up and coming 50th and to spend it with family – now that will be a memorable milestone.

ps. the excellent CX diaries use to be dispatched at the end of November.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Well, Ekond222, it is somewhat less heartwarming given that I had to point out to them that I had passed the milestones, they then tried to fob me off, and I had to express my dismay again before anything was done.

The mileage milestone was two million Marco Polo Club miles (not Asia Miles of which I have accumulated almost six million). Yes, that includes class bonuses and other oneworld flights, but I don’t really think that’s the point – CX does not, after all, distinguish between any of those ways of earning mileage for the purposes of Marco Polo Club membership.

Some discounted economy fares only accrue 25% miles – try going to the “earn calculator” at https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/frequent-flyers/mileage-calculators/airline-earn-calculator.html and click on the drop-down menu for travel class

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Well, here I am at The Wing, with CX sadly failing to cover themselves in glory on the eve of my fiftieth. No upgrade when I checked in this morning at the in-town check-in – to be honest I didn’t really expect one, but I did have hopes….

Sitting in The Haven (the restaurant in The Wing F lounge) I ordered a sauvignon blanc and the pork from the à la carte menu. The wine took some time to arrive, the food took even longer – to the point where I (very politely, and without explaining why I was asking) enquired of one of the senior staff how long it would take to receive something from the menu rather than the buffet, and was told 15-20 minutes. I then (again politely) explained that I had been waiting for about double that. Unsurprisingly, it turned up about a minute later, and equally unsurprisingly was as tough as old boots with a crust caused, I have no doubt, by a heatlamp rather than a chef.

In fairness, the head guy – who looks familiar, I think he may have worked at The Hong Kong Club before – was fawningly apologetic and did everything he could to try to fix it, so perhaps I am being unfair by saying they are not covering themselves with glory. One of their staff (albeit in all probability he works for The Peninsula Group!) has tried very hard…

Anyway, enough negativity… I will hit my half-century in less than two hours, I am going to meet my girls tomorrow, I know the Memsahib has all sorts of stuff planned that she hasn’t told me about, and I am looking forward to it like anything. I dreaded the idea of turning forty, but she made it such a wonderful experience that it was overwhelmingly positive. I am not in the least concerned about turning fifty, I am actually looking forward to it. If only my Mum (and of course my Dad, but he has been gone five years now) had been here to share it…

Now of course, if I get the magic “doot” and the red light at the gate and a new boarding pass, I will let you all know 😉

In the meantime, best wishes to all. And a special word for Martyn, who offered to arrange a get-together this weekend, but who I am sure will understand that the next few days are going to be all about family. I hope we can meet next time…

TTFN…

canucklad
    Participant

Well Ian, ,welcome to the club and sorry that Cathay forgot to give you a wee birthday kiss, but I’m sure I wont be the only one on the forum to wish you a very happy birthday !!
    And 50 isn’t bad at all—remember you’re just a day older than yesterday, I still play football twice a week, and managed 2 rounds of golf on Saturday, winning the afternoon competition…..
    On the day that Scotland decides I suppose the most appropriate way to toast your way into your 2nd half century is…… slàinte

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Happy 50th, welcome to the club Ian. Apart from losing my Mum 2 years ago, these are really the very best years of my life….

BigDog.
    Participant

Many congratulations Ian. It is both disappointing and surprising that CX have missed both opportunities as they (and SQ) used to be so good at small expressions of appreciation and key moments – making their customers feel valued for relatively little incremental cost.

I hope CX and SQ are not ploughing the you are a number furrow with bean counters calling the shots and in the process alienating long loyal clients.

Regardless – have a fabulous day – as they say 50 is the new 40 so you are getting younger.

MrMichael
    Participant

Happy Birthdat Ian, I hope you, your memsahib and girls have a wonderful time. For my fiftieth I did a Segway tour of Madrid, great fun. Try to knock something off your bucket list in the next week or so.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Congratulations on reaching a half century Ian. I wish you and the family a wonderful time.

Friday (my tomorrow) our old place are hosting a “dine in” for the new head and his wife and us Governors. I’ll raise a glass to you there.

Dear Ian,

Happy Birthday – have a good one and enjoy London.

Dominic and the team at Business Traveller Asia-Pacific

Andrew66
    Participant

Happy Birthday Ian , and all the best .

As you see from my handle I’m not too far behind !!!

BigDog.
    Participant

It appears BA are more tuned into young bloggers than long loyal clients if it provides a good PR opportunity.

This fellow blogged his efforts (12 flights in 5 days) to acquire BA Gold….

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2756344/British-Airways-roll-red-carpet-Heathrow-Airport-customer-travelled-staggering-29-739-kilometres-just-FIVE-DAYS.html

imo more than just wasteful and should not have been encouraged.

SimonS1
    Participant

Good luck to him. I can’t see it’s any more wasteful than the many positioning flights that take place to tap into ex-EU fares.

Handy publicity for BA as well….

MartynSinclair
    Participant

No where does it mention how much the guy paid for his tickets. I know he had personal reasons for this challenge, but for sure would like to know whether this ‘mileage run’ has provided any worthwhile benefits for him…

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Just read this, interesting to note he first flew to AMS! Most likely to take advantage of a lower fare?

He must also have taken more non BA flights than BA ones. I don’t think they fly from LAX to HNL for example.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls