Qatar Airways business class – wow!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 90 total)

• Cubpaws
    Participant

Qatar have an excellent hard and soft offering. Where they fall down flat is their response to unforeseen circumstances. Like the fire at Rome. Half of all flights cancelled – out of their control entirely, but not a single email, text or phone call to advise. The only option they could offer was a flight from Milan with absolutely no support in arranging ground transport. Just a suggestion to get the train at my own expense. Or wait in Rome and see if there were any spare seats on the service tomorrow, again at my own expense. Now BA standards may be heading south, seat pitch in CE a joke and the T5 galleries first getting shabbier by the day, but they have never dropped me in the nasty stuff like Qatar just have. Sink or swim. I can find my own way to Milan (he says tempting fate badly) but many would be overwhelmed by the prospect. I can’t say I’m exactly impressed.

KSHaggag
    Participant

tHello Cubpaws,

Indeed ,they do shine whenever it s a flight ( not in the third world countries ) from let s say Miami to Doha IN BUSINESS CLASS with superb food ,and apparently good service etc but put them to the test as you said in unforeseen circumstances ,there you get the real lack of know how that legacy European carriers can handle head and shoulders above the rest .The problem is that European carriers are indeed selling their own culture with cabin crew serving there for decades while at QR they are just there temporarily for a relatively better salary than at home and they do intend to stay there for a few years till their savings are substantial enough to go back home and start their real life ,so they would not necessarily care about the future of the airline in a few years time after they will be gone ..it s a culture crisis afterall ..

BTMEEditor
    Participant

BTME readers voted QR Airline with the Best Business Class at our awards ceremony last Sunday. More details on awards winners here:

https://www.facebook.com/BusinessTravellerME/posts/959898534043133

RonBrown
    Participant

I did Qatar Frankfurt/Doha on their 350, fantastic, could not fault it!!

CBaker2
    Participant

Flew their business class for the first time recently – agree it is excellent. Had been doubtful about using them for LHR to far east because of having to connect but now willing to go via Doha.

Daytripper
    Participant

Ditto. Just returned from an Asian trip featuring 4 x QR business class sectors (LHR-DOH-SIN, BKK-DOH-LHR), taking in a Dreamliner, A350, A380 and 777. The first three flights were in their new herringbone seating and the final flight in their older (yet still lie flat) configuration. Excellent seats for sleeping, very personalised onboard service, F&B better than BA and served on demand (BA – when will you take note?), onboard wi-fi on the first three flights and spacious state-of-the-art lounge at Doha.

What is there not to like?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Daytripper – Thanks for confirming that J class on the 777 was lie-flat.

An earlier thread cast some doubt about whether or not J class seating on the 777-300ER really was lie-flat.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Qatar-NY-Doha-no-flat-beds

ChrisJR
    Participant

Personally the 777 (seat 4D) is my favourite business cabin on Qatar (I haven’t flown an A350 yet, but have all the rest) – smaller cabin than say the A380 upstairs J, lots of space, totally flat bed. I do like the A319 all business class too as long as you get two seats to yourself (not sure if they still fly this to London – last time I was on it there were only 10 passengers!).

The only problem I find flying Qatar to SE Asia is the break does not help the leg lag. I found it easier to adjust flying straight with BA / Thai.

I must admit I did also prefer the previous Doha airport – less walking and more exclusive.

All said though, Qatar is the best business product I’ve flown and pretty much on a par with BA First Class.

KSHaggag
    Participant

The current DOH airport is darkish ,cold and impersonal .The former one was much warmer and had some soul ,though lagging in terms of technology and space .
    The former Premium Terminal remains the best feature they ever had .

AFewGoodMen
    Participant

I like QR business product especially on their Boeing 787 &
    Airbus 350 or 380. Their Business (Al Mourjan Lounge) & new First lounge are both excellent. It’s just a shame they no longer allow Emerald one world members to use the former when flying in economy which I often do especially for short haul trips. Instead we have to use this new lounge which is not as good. When I fly with Cathay I can use their incredible First class lounge even when flying in economy class.

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

was extremely lucky to get upgraded to biz on Qatar last week from Doha to Singapore (A350 service) and have to say I was very impressed.

comparing it to the Emirates A380 biz class product (upgraded on points on the way back from the UK last trip) is not possible, Qatar is streets ahead, particularly in terms of the meal service (the seats are comparable if a little more cramped on EK)

in short I’d pay for Qatar biz class

MrDarwin
    Participant

Just returned from Melbourne, flew with QR from LHR and the experience was overall a high standard as usual. Flew the a380 and 777 in J all the way, except for the last leg where I had no issues upgrading in Doha to F for the DOH to LHR leg using 25 Qcredits. Dining on demand in J is fantastic allowing you to eat when you’re hungry and not as per the crew service schedule, and comfortable PJs were provided for the DOH – MEL – DOH legs. Most crews were friendly and personable. Although it’s not the most modern product or layout in the skies, I do enjoy the huge sense of space you get on the 777 (which is definitely lie flat – I can confirm after 2 x 9 hour sleeps!). The bar on the a380 provided ample distraction from the arduous 24 hour trip and I enjoyed some interesting conversations with fellow passengers over a few cocktails and glasses of Krug. All of the ground lounges I used were exceptional, and I noticed that the Al Mourjan was much quieter this time – perhaps because the One World J and F lounges and Al Safwa First lounges are now open in Doha.

The F service on the way home was outstanding, a perfect flight from every perspective. This is even more surprising considering I’d only upgraded 10 minutes before boarding.

Overall QR continue to exceed my expectations for the fare paid. I have flown a lot of BA J over the past 12 months owing to mainly westward travel, so it was great to return to an excellent product.

ExecPlatAA
    Participant

I started this thread, so feel I should be fair and report disappointment as well –
    Flew QR from Chicago-Doha-Bom, Del-Doha-LAX (Doha- LAX inaugural flight) in business (Dec last week-Jan1) The family and I have been huge fans of QR business and as One World Emerald, I go out of my way to fly them. That said, these flights and the Doha lounge experience was decidedly subpar. Cost cutting evident across the board. Chicago lounge is a disgrace. No business lounge (shared or otherwise) should be this awful – restrooms in the main concourse, packaged snacks, horrible wine, no sparking, no bottled water and temperature close to Doha in Summer. ON board – the 777-ER/LR seats feel way past their sell by date – the space is nice, but the seat feels hard and has zero privacy (I used to like them, but Etihad and even AA biz is better). Food choices downgraded – just 2-3 options for lunch, snacks and breakfast – used to be a far more extensive menu. No Laudere deserts from the US. Mountain Spring water (really??). Champagnes downgraded to Drappier and Jaquart (less than half the cost of the Billecart and Tattinger Rose previously offered). No proactive turndown service offered. Pajamas quality has further degraded – S or XL – tank top like fit in one and a sack in the other! Godiva chocolates gone – packaged Valhrohna (sample pack style). Al Mourjan Lounge – Krug until Dec 23rd (in 2015) and on our return flight on Jan 1 (2016) – GONE. No more Krug – only in Al Safwa.
    Inaugural flight Doha-LAX – was supposed to be a special flight – NOT. Given a certificate for first flight, an older design Qatar T-shirt (would have been nice to get the Qatar-FC Barcelona Jersey?), and some old connectors for internet modem (yes, can you imagine??). Ran out of food and the F&B even on the first flight was absolutely subpar. The crew was disinterested – one of them telling me that she has been with the company for 9 years and can barely tolerate it. OK – are we becoming United/AA?
    I have profusely complimented QR in the past but this time around, they missed the mark completely. I will not spend premium $’s on QR, unless there is a marked improvement.

DanielRawson
    Participant

I flew Manchester to Abu Dhabi via Doha in economy last week and returned yesterday in business class. The economy on the A330 was really good with plenty of room and decent enough food along with very attentive service. The return however in business on the 773 was an anti-climax. No pj’s, a hard bed with a thin blanket, no privacy and lousy food. We were given a breakfast and nothing else afterwards. No sandwiches or snacks. I left the 8 hour flight hungry. Service was nowhere near as attentive as in economy. I was expecting to be overwhelmed by the self proclaimed ‘5 star airline’ but was left rather disappointed. The plane though was very clean and the toilets were well sized.

GivingupBA
    Participant

I have now flown many, many roundtrips on Qatar J class Far East – UK return. I find them very good, especially the food, and consistently excellent crew service. Only one [slight] downside, as others have said: seats on the A330. I hope they upgrade these seats very soon.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 90 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls