Qatar Airways business class – wow!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 90 total)

• David
    Participant

Flew Qatar Airways (B787) in business last week and can confirm that the Krug Grand Cuvee Champagne is still available in Doha (thanks for the tip, as I had to ask for it!).

Great wine selection (as always) onboard too;

Champagne:

Pol Roger 2006 Rose
    Billecart – Salmon Brut

Chardonnay:

Bouchard Pere & Fils Meaursault 2011 (Burgundy)

Savignon Blanc:

Saint Clair, Family Estate, 2012 (Marlborough, New Zealand)

Riesling:

Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer, Spätlese 2001 (Mosel Valley)

Bordeaux:

Chateau Cantenac Brown, Margaux, Grand Cru, 2007

Shiraz:

Bellingham, The Bernard Series, Basket Press 2011 (Franschhoek)

Pinot Noir:

Villa Maria, Cellar Selection, 2010 (Marlborough)

Dessert Wine:

Chateau de Fesles, Bonnezeaux 2010 (Loire Valley)

Porto:

Kopke, Colheita 1974 (Douro Valley)

Seriously, is there any other airline offering this quality and breadth onboard in their business product? I tend to lean heavily towards Qatar Airways these days but certainly my (business class) experiences over the past year with other operators including British Airways, Thai Airways, Austrian, Swiss and AA, have not come close…

I won’t digress into the dining menu but suffice to say, the “Beetroot soup with chive creme fraiche” has to be one of the better soups I’ve had anywhere, for quite some time.

Cheers!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Just flown LHR-DOH-BOM return in business class – several different aircraft but a very good experience, and at £1800 return, less than direct in premium economy on BA (£2600 for the dates I wanted to fly).

The lounge at HIA is outstanding – I’ve used it several times now and there are many quiet corners to relax in, and the restaurant upstairs is excellent, particularly if you order from the menu.

esselle
    Participant

To all you Krug lovers out there, be aware that QR also serve it on board in their F cabin on regional flights, which we would see as short haul business class. So, for example, on an A320 flying F with QR DOH-AUH, they serve Krug.

NTarrant
    Participant

Interesting you mention F cabin on regional flights esselle. This is where the product gets a bit confusing because it is business class sold as First, which is great for collecting tier points but somehow it doesn’t really feel like F.

A colleague and I flew to Khartoum on a A320/1 in F but it was really business class as far as the seating was concerned, but food and service very good.

I’m not bothered about Krug, but they do an excellent port

esselle
    Participant

Fully agree NTarrant that it is actually business class called F, but nonetheless, seating, service and catering are way ahead of anything western carriers can offer.

SimonS1
    Participant

Indeed on QR it is business sold as first (ie it is the class immediately above Y).

However most European travellers would enjoy the fact that it is proper business seating not the ‘economy seating with middle seat blocked’ which you get in CE.

For some airlines (like EK) they only use widebody aircraft so you can get J and F on short hops.

NTarrant
    Participant

Oh yes esselle too right, I don’t mind the confusion as the product is good.

Agree SimonS1, travelling regularly on Saudia, Qatar and Oman on short flights in business just shows what Europe misses out on what should be a business product

JohnnyEnglish
    Participant

… And yet their economy class stinks. 787 seats too cramped for legroom and elbow room (less room on long haul than most European short hauls); service mixed, but with a painted smile; and food truly awful – the microwave packs still have their one year expiry dates printed on them.

If they won any awards, it is surely for their business – and not their economy – product.

Senator
    Participant

Look for sales ex. Oslo/Copenhagen/Stockholm. Available just about each week, Qatar has something on offer. Given the Sterling’s improved value versus SEK/NOK/DKK you can find some stellar bargains.

The F/X for GBP/SEK is currently £1 = 12.75 SEK. Prices we have seen:
    Singapore: 10,795kr (SEK)
    Phuket: 9,895kr (SEK)
    Tokyo: 12,495kr (SEK)
    Hong Kong: 11,250kr (SEK)
    This means all are below £1,000

The real bargain has been Melbourne for 18,000kr (SEK). Less than £1,500.

ARN/OSL/CPH are all operated by brand-new B787 on most days. The second service from ARN features A330, sometimes with the new hardware.

Here is a full example of prices for 2 people in the 2-for-1 campaign. Page is in Swedish, but you get the point 🙂

http://www.qatarairways.com/se/sv/offers/premium-2-for-1.page

AMcWhirter
    Participant

There are also very good seats sales in Amsterdam although QR will not start the route until June.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Qatar-s-very-low-companion-J-class-fares-ex-Amsterdam

The offers mentioned here have now expired but others will take their place in the weeks/months ahead.

BTMEEditor
    Participant

Any BTs tried out the A350 business yet (FRA)? Looked impressive design on the show around, but interested to hear about the service.

KSHaggag
    Participant

I do admire and respect fully the feedback of all Gentlemen who praised the QR Business Class standards ,however I would like to add that QR is missing on consistency even in Business Class ,based on the aircraft type as well as the route you are flying .In other words ,when you are flying to/from Europe ,US the standards are totally different and even the crew attitude /know-how ,etc from those when you fly on a route to/from Asia ,Africa or within the Middle East .This has been recurrent and apparently they are convinced that this is the way to go .
    I would never experience such disparity on board Swiss or Lufthansa or other European carriers whether you are flying to Bangkok or to Chicago .
    Just to add ,I still do miss the Premium Terminal at the old Doha airport with both its Business and First sections that was still head and shoulders above the pack ,including the current Al Mourjan Business Class lounge at Hamad airport .My personal experience through the latter three months ago proved bitterly unsatisfactory from various points of view : darkish environment ( not enough illumination or view ) ,relaxed staff ,very ordinary standard of foodspread and a general unwelcoming atmosphere ..was I so unlucky on that day ?..I still recall the superb service at the Premium Terminal and the great food served that was a definite cut above what I see now …

NTarrant
    Participant

I have used QR to and from the UK, within the Middle East and to Africa and found the service level reasonably consistent. The thing I find is business class sold as First as being rather unusual.

M.Moose
    Participant

Any thoughts about Economy to the U.S.? I’m flying to both Chicago and Dallas (2 separate trips). Haven’t flown with QR before. I normally do CX, MH, SQ, EK, in J & Y. Thinking of giving QR a try.

Noticed 77W goes to ORD whilst 77L goes to DFW. Any difference?

SenatorGold
    Participant

I flew on QR4 on 12 April from LHR to DOH en route to Male. We were diverted from Doha to Dubai on account of bad weather at Doha. We were kept waiting from about midnight to 11am (most of it spent in the terminal building), before resuming our journey to Doha. We were in an isolated terminal at Dubai. We business class passengers were lucky enough to be able to wait in the business lounge. There were some angry scenes at the gate where economy passengers were left to their own devices. Qatar didn’t excel by keeping us well informed. It wasn’t such a wow experience.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 90 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls