Qatar Airways business class – wow!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)

• Atraveller
    Participant

#ExecPlatAA. Just to point out a few issues in your post and of course you are entitled to your opinion. The lounge was probably the best on offer at Chicago and this really is out of the hands of QR. The 777 is actually a roomier business experience than any of the new planes, and mattress linings given (2) are a fantastic touch. There was consistently 4 main choices and 3 lighter options on all my flights. Breakfasts are extensive on board and in the Doha lounge (a la carte if you’re there for that). Same for night transfers, wonderful hot/cold food and full bar service is available. And just now, Jan. I was given Krug. Pyjamas are the same if not better, with the XL actually being labelled L also. Laduree deserts on board are only offered where the capability exists, from Doha they definitely are. The chocolates offered now, Valrohna are a brilliant touch and it is definitely one of the best chocolatiers. Finally, the staff are not treated ideally, but they are always pleasant and do their job to requirement.

ExecPlatAA
    Participant

@Atraveller – all fair points and none that I disagree with. I am glad Krug is back – wasnt on Jan 1. The on board F&B has seen a downgrade for sure (champagne and wine selection for one) and the luxe feel is s bit low. I love the Doha lounge and for the most part the crew are never rude. Its just that I like QR so much that I hold them to a higher standard – its a slippery slope when things start going sideways little by little. Anyways, a balanced view from you for sure and I appreciate it.

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

Last week HKG – DOH – MAN , it’s now very. Much luck of the draw on the aircraft age and the inconsistent business seats depending on the age of the aircraft . Food offering now is average at best. On my DOH – MAN sector I asked if there was a meal service prior to arrival as I had not had breakfast on departure and was told it was the same menu but very few choices were remaining. Big disappointment .

batterytraveller
    Participant

@slotski That should be plenty of time. I’ve never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a shower. Although I have to say that the only thing that lets down the whole QR business class experience is that fact that the shower cubicles aren’t particularly well ventilated so it’s hard to dry off properly. This is an issue far from unique to QR.

garrison76
    Participant

Had my first experience of QR J a few weeks ago, AMS-DOH-BKK and return.

@slotski: We had to wait well over an hour for showers at DOH on our way back from BKK – there was a (very long) waiting list in operation. We kept being told to come back in 30 minutes, then 15 minutes, then ten minutes, and ended up just hanging around outside until showers finally became free. I would suggest you check in with them as soon as you arrive in case the same is true when you’re there. The BA arrivals lounge at T5 is much better on this front – enough showers for the number of people who want to use them (although the showers aren’t anything like as nice as QR’s, which, once you got to use one, are very nice indeed).

A lot of people were complaining about having to queue to use one of the small number of cubicles in the gents, too. I have to say that, for a lounge of that size, they do seem to be very low on showers and toilets.

Overall, though, I was very impressed with J on the 787 and the A380 – although the 787 was probably marginally better, it was my first time on the big bus so it was all rather exciting. The seats on both are fantastic – I’ve never slept so well on a plane. And the lounge/bar on the A380 was a nice touch. But the small cabin on the 787 and high ceilings due to no central overhead lockers make this the most stylish J cabin I’ve ever travelled in, with a really luxurious and spacious feel.

Food and wines were very good (although not as good as I had expected given comments here and elsewhere), and, like others, I found the service to be a bit too formal and not very friendly. But overall a very good experience, and for about £950 return phenomenally good value. I will definitely use QR again when heading east if the price is right.

dsatrio
    Participant

Just got completed CGK-DOH-GRU-EZE-DOH-CGK over the holidays. All on J, and am still pleased with the overall service.

Equipment used: A330 (older version, slanted bed), B777LR (fully flat) and A330 (new version, 2-2-2, fully flat)

The food was good. The wine choice was excellent. Everything I wanted off the menu I got. Can’t really complain about the inflight service.

On the business lounge in HIA, I find the place to be too big and impersonal, although nice looking. I would prefer the strategy that CX employed in HKG, spreading the lounges in different locations. To be fair, I had no problem finding a seat, ordering meals or drinks. Wifi was fairly strong. Shower was always available (especially the ones near the dining lounge), although the stall does not have any ventilation system, and thus become steamy after a hot shower.

Btw, has anyone been successful at getting a quiet room at all? We had an 8-hour layover there and tried several times to get one of these rooms to no avail. The same happened on the way back. There wasn’t a waiting list system, so we had to check back every so often. Must I tip the attendant to get one of these (seemingly) coveted rooms?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

The carrier’s B777-300ERs have 2-2-2 business class seating with compares unfavourably with the more spacious 1-2-1 layouts found on its B787/A380s.

But in a press conference today in Los Angeles, the CEO reveals that new B777-300ER business class seating is on the way.

No timescale is available as it’s a secret project. Only a mock-up is ready for inspection right now.

However the CEO it will be a new business class concept for its B777s with full privacy.

TiredOldHack
    Participant

Sorry, lost the plot here, McW. Which airline are you talking about?

lcpteck
    Participant

He’s still referring to QR.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

TOH – Qatar Airways. Readers have been wondering what would happen to J class on the B777-300ERs as it’s not up to the same standard as on Qatar’s B787s and A380s.

It appears there might also be new economy seats but don’t hold your breath !

rferguson
    Participant

I really like the current 777 seats if travelling as a couple. There is an enormous sense of space around the seats. The biggest downside is that there is absolutely no privacy from your seatmate when travelling solo.

skywards
    Participant

A friend of mine has picked up a fare with Qatar from AMS to BKK in business class for £877 via ebookers Oct 11th to 25th. Outstanding.

batterytraveller
    Participant

rferguson, I totally agree. When I travel in many other business class products it feels like I wave goodbye to my wife at the door. It’s nice to be able to share a meal, watch a movie together; enjoy the flight together.

I’m sure the stats are that the majority of people in business class, especially of those paying the highest fares, are travelling solo; and no doubt airlines are catering to this. When I’m flying for work, I much prefer the nice little pod to myself and this is when I’m spending money. Leisure travel is largely redemptions.

Hermes1964
    Participant

Had four very pleasant QR flights over New Year.

777 great if travelling with family, though seats are a bit firm in the fully upright position. Service still exceptional – highly attentive, warm and friendly. Did think the food had gone off a bit since last flights (five years ago).

The First Lounge in DOH is stunning in a rather cold and impersonal way. But certainly has Wow factor. Liked the the Business Lounge too, but kept getting lost. Not surprisingly, originally booked for A380, then changed to A330-300 but ended up on a 777.

EruditeSheep
    Participant

I have now experienced QR for return trips AMS-DOH-BKK and LHR-DOH-HND in business. Sectors flown on 787, 777 and A380. Impeccable service, excellent meals, wines and IFE. Restful flights – very comfortable. Such a contrast to a recent experience in F class on a BA A380 LHR to SIN which left a lot to be desired. The “tasting menu” had some of the most poorly prepared (and thought-out) menu items that I have ever experienced. As others have mentioned, the QR lounge at DOH is very large and takes time to navigate to get the best service, but is excellent. And the new QR lounge at T4 simply knocks spots of all the others.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls