Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 80 total)

• SteveJohnsonIn0z
    Participant

“I can’t see how anyone can complain about a lack of competition between London and Australia. There probably isn’t another route in the world where there is so much choice of carriers and routings.”

Agreed! The ‘Kangaroo Route’ is generally held to be via Singapore and for that you have Qantas and SQ. Then add on Etihad and Emirates for the travel via middle east plus Cathay, Virgin Atlantic and Hong Kong Airlines for London via HK.

Right there you have SEVEN airlines for Sydney-London and I haven’t even counted Thai, MAS (they don’t fly to London but do Europe via KL) or connections out of Singapore (like Lufthansa).

first_class_please
    Participant

LP, I recall reading when Concorde was still flying that it was cheaper per mile than a London bus…

Bucksnet
    Participant

SteveJohnsonIn0z – 24/05/2012 05:24 GMT – “MAS (they don’t fly to London but do Europe via KL)”

MAS do fly to London, double daily in fact!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

And London buses never served caviar 😉

Binman62
    Participant

I am unable to replicate the screen shot (perhaps others can) however when searching SYD DXB QF now show only flights via SIN with a connection to EK. Previously such a search would have shown QF connecting to CX over HKG. Not sure of the journey time however the transit now in SIN is 2-4 hours.

Further evidence perhaps of QF cooling on Oneworld? or further evidence that EK about to join?

Really do struggle with what QF are trying to do and who their market is.

JohnPhelanAustralia
    Participant

Interesting how perspectives change, often dependent on where you are in the world.

Binman – the very clear perception in Australia is that it is CX that is unwilling to co-operate with QF, and CX that is an often lukewarm participant in oneworld!

Binman62
    Participant

Cannot comment on the CX issue however I do know that at LHR and in SYD co operation with BA has been and remains very poor. There is almost no cooperation at a working level despite being co located in T3.

QF have code shares with AF and it seems anyone who wants one. That cannot be conducive to the effective running of an alliance. ( I am not aware that BA runs any codes hate with any carrier who is not either in Oneworld or about to join)

If it were just a one off you could argue that it was either party however the evidence is increasing that it is QF who cannot/will not cooperate.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Not so sure about QF not being cooperative. CX, a bit like SQ are a bit of a loose cannon and tend to take from the alliance what they want and put back what they choose to regardless of what else may be agreed.

QF cooperating with EK is a very interesting possibility. EK could certainly benefit from QF’s domestic reach and QF would benefit greatly from EK’s reach in to Europe and a relatively huge number of one stop options would become available to them as opposed to the two stops at present and the fact that LHR is on the western edge of Europe from a business point of view so there is still significant backtracking. Even with Air Berlin in OW, it doesn’t improve things greatly at FRA for QF as Air Berlin have a pretty small operation there compared to at TXL and the LH offering at FRA.

I don’t doubt that we will see some pretty big changes to QF’s long haul operation in the near future in order to get it back to profitability and if that includes tearing up some existing agreements so be it.

I guess there’s a question about if the JSA was torn up, would BA’s services to SYD remain viable?

PaulRWoods
    Participant

@ SteveJohnsonIn0z: “MAS (they don’t fly to London but do Europe via KL)”
    From where did you get that information? Certainly not from the MAS website! MAs will even introduce 380 in July on the KL-London route with true flatbeds in Business-Class.

paulkaz
    Participant

LPPS,an interesting point from a Qf Ek code share ( referr to my earlier link to Aubt ) is that Ab has just joined one world and is part owned by Ey. So Qf will be co operating with Ab ‘s part owners major competitor. Like wise Ab ‘s part owner Ey is closely aligned with Virgin Australia ,Qf’s mortal enemy! Ab may prove to be the proverbial meat inn unsavoury alliance sandwich!

craigwatson
    Participant

EK is already tired up with Virgin Australia on the australian domestics, with full through ticketing, and given the generous EK baggage on Virgins services.

paulkaz
    Participant

Craig Virgin Aus is interlined with Etihad (Ey ) as well as Singapore Airlines and Delta. Rumours suggest Emirates ( Ek) are in code share discussions with Qantas. Sorry to be pedantic but Emirates and Virgin Aus are not interlined.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Just to confirm that Emirates do Interline with Virgin Australia.

EK 6 Y 19JUN LHRDXB HS1 2215 #0805
    EK 412 Y 20JUN DXBSYD HS1 1015 #0605
    DJ 422 C 21JUN SYDADL HS1 1310 1455
    DJ 427 C 16JUL ADLSYD HS1 1530 1755
    EK 413 Y 16JUL SYDDXB HS1 2110 #0540
    EK 1 Y 17JUL DXBLHR HS1 0745 1215

The above flights can be booked as 1 through ticket and the fare is quite reasonable – for those in the Trade they also issue as Cat35. This would only happen if they have an interline agreement. C Class on DJ is economy not Business

paulkaz
    Participant

Thanks Tim,and sorry Craig I stand corrected. I assumed incorrectly that Dj’s relationship with Ey would exclude any arrangements with Ek. It s even more complicated than I thought!

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

They definitely have arrangements with EY, EK, SQ – I often issue these as clients often travel onto ADL and CBR (SQ always seem full in J and often in Y on ADL-SIN so use ADL-MEL with DJ and connection. I believe other airlines also have DJ add-ons / interline arrangements. But this could also change at any moment! Indeed it can be confusing.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 80 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls