Personal statistics for 2016

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• DavidGordon10
    Participant

I started a thread like this last year (thank you for finding it Tom, https://www.businesstraveller.com/forums/topic/personal-statistics-for-2015/) so here I go again.

This year, 103 sectors, 32 airports (15 of them new to me) and 19 airlines, 9 new. How are other member’s figures? – not a competition, just for fun.

Best new experience? – business class on Garuda. Most surprising new experience? – the excellent value for money of business on China Southern.

Worst new experience? – well, none really: no bad experiences and a lot of good.

Best airport? – probably Zurich or Copenhagen; IST for any long transfer.

Worst airport? – do you need to ask, but LHR was closely followed by Tegel in this race to the bottom.

Finally, for those who like to test their knowledge of airport three-letter codes, the new airports for 2016 were (in order of use)

SIN, DEL, DOH, AJA, MEX, CUN, SLC, KIX, CAN, MEL, SYD, TPE, SGN, RGN and CGK

FDOS_UK
    Participant

62 segments, 19 airports (5 new – WMI, AMM, KGS, LOS, SXF), 9 airlines (1 new, QF).

Best new experience – QF Premium

Worst new experience – Murtala Muhamed airport, Lagos, mayhem in a building

Best airport used – DXB (because I have an egate card, life is fast and simple, YMMV)

Worst airport used – LOS

TominScotland
    Participant

69 sectors as far as I can recall with no new airports (disappointment!!).

Best experience – first flights on BA01 LCY – SNN – JFK

Worst – nothing really bad this year, cannot complain

MartynSinclair
    Participant

*87 sectors (74 with BA of which 32 were avios sectors)

*19 airports

*4 airlines (BA, CX, AA and KL)

* 2 new destinations – Rotterdam and Gibraltar

* Best new experience – spoiling myself at the Okura hotel in BKK for 24 hours

* Worst new experience – a rock fall in Gibraltar, nearly cancelling the meeting I had flown in for…

*Best airport – HKG, mainly because of the efficient security and wonderful CX lounges

*Worst airport – Berlin and nothing came a close second

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

I can’t add up all the sectors in 2016 since a lot of time was spend flying between cities in USA, Canada and Mexico but;

BA flightpath shows 217,188 miles flown, 18 days in the air, 7 countries visited, 16 cities visited – only flights with BA are registered.

SAS flightpath shows 31 flights, 87 hours in the air, around the globe 4.82 times – only on SAS flights.

Also flown with (and not included above) – United, American, Thai, Air Canada, Lufthansa, Brussels Airlines, Delta, KLM.

Best new experience – Qatar business class 787
    Best lounges – Qatar LHR & Doha
    Best airport – HKG & the CX 1st lounge
    New business destinations in 2016 – Mumbai, Bangalore, Sri Lanka, Beijing, Doha
    Best hotel – Le Royal Meridien, Shanghai (based on the price paid)

Worst airport experience – Beijing Capital (arrived 3 hours before flight & finally got through security as the aircraft was around 50% boarded – a disgrace of a cattle market with no one in authority taking control)

New airlines flown – China Eastern, Air China, Qatar, Sri Lankan

Worst lounge experience – honestly (sad to say this), the Concorde room at LHR (I am comparing directly to Qatar & Cathay lounges at LHR and HKG respectively)

Overall, anothe busy year…

Olneyflyer
    Participant

Busy year for me this year. 97 different sectors. 51 cites visited. No new Airlines. 95%+ were with BA or AA with just a few sectors by Lufthansa, Aer Lingus, Swiss and SAS. New Airports visited were Charlottesville, Berlin Tegal and San Jose. Best Airport would be Heathrow Terminal Five. Worst would be Berlin Tegal.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

A quieter year for me with only 13 flights but it did include 3 new airports; Gibraltar, Charlotte and Philadelphia. No new airlines though.

onajetplane
    Participant

120 sectors.

Best new experience – Etihad first lounge Abu Dhabi (tasting menu from Emirates Palace hotel)

Most surprising new experience – Numerous complimentary upgrades on THY taking advantage of status match to Gold (from BAEC).

Worst new experience? – Self-transfer at Cairo airport (to take advantage of ex-Cai fares due to £Egp devaluation) – never again

Best airport – LHR T5
    Best lounge – Qantas First LAX
    Worst airport – Cairo, Istanbul (arrivals – circling to land and lines to get out of airport), Beirut (departures in Summer – security and immigration lines)
    New airport – AUH, CMN, ORY, ZQN
    New airlines flown – Etihad, Royal Air Maroc

1nfrequent
    Participant

It’s a good job this isn’t a competition, David, because I can’t hope to compete with everyone else here. 😀

18 sectors flown.

12 airports in total, 7 of which were new to me (VCE, BHD, NCL, DUS, GVA, CLT and CHS)

2 airlines – BA and AA

Best new experience – I took my parents on their first ever long haul business class flight and introduced them to the notion of ex-DUB. All their flying’s been down the back so it was a real thrill to see them enjoying the lounge and the in-flight experience. Plus they got their silver BAEC cards so can have a bit of enjoyment on their next economy flight.

Worst new experience – nothing really – some flights didn’t go perfectly but that’s the luck of the draw.

Best airport? – I was actually pretty impressed with CLT and VCE (excluding the Marco Polo lounge, which was terrible).

Worst airport? – GVA was pretty appalling but the pickpockets loitering at DUS made for an equally nasty experience.

Best wishes to all on the board and safe and happy travels for 2017

1F

AlanOrton1
    Participant

41 sectors

18 airports

2 new destinations – Muscat & Beijing

11 airlines

Best airport – SIN
    Least favourite airport – all three of New York’s offerings are fairly dismal
    Best seat – BA F 787-9
    Least favourite seat – BA WTP original seat (not the more modern version)
    Best lounge – New CX F at LHR, virtually deserted when I visited
    Least favourite lounge – AA ATL and the one CX uses in SHA

Merry Christmas to all and safe travels

Cloud-9
    Participant

21 sectors.

4 airlines, 2 new (QR and the Danish airline BA used as replacement in the summer).

12 airports, 10 new!

Worst lounge: CPH ow.
    Worst airport: TXL.

Best lounge: QR Al Safwa F.
    Best airport: HEL.

Best onboard food: QR HEL/DOH.
    Worst onboard food: Danish BA replacement LHR/CPH (by a long way).

JohnHarper
    Participant

180 sectors, no new airlines or destinations

Best airport: SIN

Worst airport: CPH – generally chaotic but maybe I’ve just been unlucky

Best airline: SIA

Worst airline: I couldn’t complain about any I flew with – of course I didn’t fly BA this year.

Best Lounge: LH F terminal at Frankfurt followed by TPR at SIN.

Best long haul F seat: SIA Suites

Best long haul C seat: Cathay long haul – their new short haul C seat is surprisingly good too.

Best short haul C seat: Turkish on the A321s – their wide bodies are all configured with the long haul product.

Worst Lounge: I can’t remember the name at SGN.

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

Lord, I can’t compete with you lot. I make it 38 flights, but I’ve probably forgotten a few.

Worst airport: Schoenfeld, Berlin.

Worst lounge: Iberia, Medellin.

Best airport: Medellin, if only for the sheer novelty of seeing a shop (for domestic fliers only) selling massive combat knives, nunchucks, throwing stars and similar weapons. I guess nobody tries hijacking a plane in Colombia, because all the passengers are seriously tooled up.

Best lounge: Galleries Gold, LHR, I suppose

Best long-haul seat: Probably Finnair on their new A350.

Worst long-haul seat: Nothing really bad, but BA’s product is looking more and more dated.

Bad moment: Discovering that another passenger had the same boarding pass to my CW seat on the BA flight back to London from Sao Paulo.

Good moment: Being upgraded to F because of it.

Worst moment of all: While in Chile, hearing that my old friend Brett Jeffrey, a senior maintenance supervisor for BA and the most gifted mechanic I’ve ever known, had been killed in a road crash. I flew home on (on the GRU flight I was upgraded on) that he’d probably signed off as fit to fly at some point. RIP, Brett.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

With 3 more sectors to fly this year I will have done about 50 odd in total.

Zurich remains my favorite airport, but I still think the Lufthansa First Class lounge at Frankfurt is way and above everyone else’s.

Favorite airline is Swiss narrowly followed by Lufthansa. LH may have made it to the top spot but the pilot strikes lost them a few points.

I can’t recall any bad flights but my happiest moment was when I received a letter two weeks ago telling me I am now Senator (Gold) for life.

knightflyer
    Participant

A fairly busy year, 56 sectors across 11 countries.

New airports VTZ, MAD, RJA, TRZ, DEL, HND

Best airport: KLIA2 – way better than KLIA1

Worst airport: RJA – Basically a hangar with 3 or 4? stages of weird security about 30 yards apart. Being required to get a printout of my e-ticket at the hole in the wall outside TRZ to gain entry was a low point too

Best airline: JAL Premium Eco – pleasantly better than expected, rivals some BC offerings

Worst airline: QR dreamliner DOH-DEL – one of the worst economy pitches ever suffered

Best experience: Consistent 20-25 minutes from aircraft to landside at KLIA2

Worst experience: Almost all of those sectors above were in Economy, a few in Premium/Eco Comfort…oil & gas ain’t what it used to be 🙁

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls